Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Final Paris Hotel Choice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/final-paris-hotel-choice-467934/)

themightyhippo Aug 18th, 2004 03:19 AM

Final Paris Hotel Choice

We have a short list of 3 hotels for a honeymoon trip to Paris and would appreciate any comments and recommendations as to which one to go for. We contacted many (including D'aubusson) and have narrowed it to these 3 which are all available for our dates:-

Duc de St Simon - Double room (245 euro)
Bourgogne et Montana - Executive Double (230 euro inc. breakfast)
Clos Medicis - Deluxe Double (210 euro)

We are more concerned about the quality of the experience than the respective prices of these 3. Thanks for your help...

francophile03 Aug 18th, 2004 04:48 AM

For the best location (my opinion only) and charm I'd choose Duc de St. Simon. But regular double rooms are pretty tiny (approx. 12 sq. m.)here.

m_kingdom2 Aug 18th, 2004 04:55 AM

I'm sure you could get a five star standard (as in France they don't have this as an official classification system) property for similar (if a little more) money.

elaine Aug 18th, 2004 04:58 AM

Since there is no 5-star, as stated,, if mkingdom is referring to a 4-star L (luxury hotel) like the Ritz or Crillon or Bristol, the charge will be many more euro than the prices quoted above.

Christina Aug 18th, 2004 10:15 AM

Unless you are going during some unusually slow period (but you won't have date choices with a honeymoon), I agree with Elaine, no way are you going to get a 4*L hotel in Paris for 200-250 euro per night.

socialworker Aug 18th, 2004 11:12 AM

No kidding, Christina and Elaine, re: the prices for luxury hotels!! When we went recently and my husband was working and getting his hotel reimbursed, we (briefly) considered the Intercontinental and the price was over $500/night--significantly more than the prices mentioned by this poster.

Laidback Aug 18th, 2004 11:16 AM

Back to your question...of the 3, I would definitely choose the Duc de St. Simon.

WillTravel Aug 18th, 2004 11:18 AM

If you bid a sufficiently high amount on Priceline for a 5* hotel in the Champs Elysess - Opera West zone, you have an excellent chance of getting the Hotel Scribe. However, I also read about someone getting the Prince de Galles. I think both are actually 4L hotels (since France doesn't have an official 5* rating). Typical winning bids have been in the range of $180 - 220 USD + taxes and fees. Expedia has also been reported to have "reasonable" rates for the Hotel Scribe (by 4L standards).

AlanM1 Aug 18th, 2004 11:53 AM

Was at the Duc St Simon last year, very charming and romantic, lovely!

Underhill Aug 18th, 2004 03:05 PM

The Duc de St.-Simon is P. D. James's favorite hotel in Paris, which should mean something.

AlanM1 Aug 19th, 2004 03:57 AM

Lauren Bacall also stays there.