Belated Trip Report: Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm about to post another cry for help, when I realize that I never posted my trip report to Paris. It's time I gave back.

Anyway, my wife and I honeymooned in Paris in March 2006 and stayed at the K&K Hotel Cayre. We weren't looking to spend huge $$, but didn't go cheap either. We had an incredible time, the hotel, the restaruants, the sights, the people. Would do it again tomorrow. Here's the breakdown:

Weather: If you're going to Paris in mid-March, pack a sweater or two. It can get cold, but tolerable. We live in the NY metro area, so use that as a barometer (no pun intended). We did walk quite a bit and spent a lot of time outside. At night, it can be cold esepcially atop the eiffel.

Hotel: K&K Hotel Cayre. If you're looking for a modern, left bank hotel with incredible location this is it. We had the bus and metro 10 feet from the hotel. It is in district 8, St. Germain. We loved it shops everywhere, just a short walk to the Latin Quarter. Amenities were very good in my opinion, we had a top floor deluxe room with a couch, king bed, and bathroom with heated floor (nice touch). Good size. Size was comparable to an average room at a Westin or Hilton. Conceirege was great. Great reccomends and got us into Guy Savoy for lunch very last minute. This isn't an ultra luxurious hotel, but it doesn't try to be. Decor is clean and modern throught, very comfortable and accomodating. We will stay there again.

Restaruants: I have 3 recommends. Fotaine de Mars, left bank, within walking distance to the Eiffel tower. Le Petite Chaise, left bank, dist 8. And of course Guy Savoy, right bank, Arc du Triumph. Guy Savoy was a dining expereince like we've never had. Both of us have eaten at some of the best on both coasts. Nothing comes close, both in service and cuisine. (Shanghai Court at The Grand Hyatt Taipei was right with it though) You must go. Be prepared to spend money though (easily upwards of 500 euro). Make reservations for dinner as far in advance as possible. We tried on a Tuesday to get in for any night from Thurs-Sat and the conceirge said "You must be joking." He did get us in for lunch though.

The people of Paris were great. Just learn a liitle French, (good morning, good evening, thank you, etc) and you're fine. Don't believe the hype. People are people. You're in Paris, so get lost in the lifestyle, embrace it and Paris will embrace you.

I could go on about all the sights, museums, street foods, etc, but my account will never do any of it justice. You just have to go.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Thanks for posting!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Hi drus9499, thanks for posting your trip report. I like reading about Paris; it's one of my favorite cities.

The K & K Cayre gets nice reviews and it does seem like an excellent hotel. It seems to be a good combination of modern rooms with traditional service and nice location. (Btw, the location is in the 6th district not 8th)
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the report - better late than never! La Fontaine de Mars is lovely, although it was still closed for renovations when I was in Paris 2 weeks ago
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 08:04 AM

It would be nice to know what the room in the hotel cost. Accomodations definitly relate to cost. Thanks.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Here is the website with rates:

http://www.kkhotels.com/index.asp?ID=316#Hauptbereich
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Went to the rates and now I understand how nice the hotel was. Can't imagine with those rates why they can't include the €24 breakfast....for that adds €48 to the bill.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM

500 euros for a meal? You MUST be joking. Who in their right mind would ever consider such a thing! I'm sorry, but that just seems ridiculous to me, I don't care how much money you have to throw around. Am I the only one who thinks this is absurd?
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM

There have been "arguments" before on the board about the price of meals and who would or wouldn't pay it. Some people will pay 60,000 for a Hummer. Some people will pay 500.00 for a pair of shoes or a handbag. Some people will pay 500.00 a night or more for a hotel room. It's all relative. I CAN'T pay that for a meal or a room and not sure I would anyway...but..I don't have that kind of money, so actually I can't answer truthfully. When I go to Paris however, I DO shop. I LOVE to shop, the shopping for all kinds of things is great and there are some here who think that's just nuts. Why would I spend my time shopping when I could be in this museum or that place...what ever. Well, my answer would be, "you do your thing and I do mine'. I don't think a poster should be critisized for where they stay, what or where they eat, and what they spend. It's their money, their time, and their business. I just enjoy reading the report.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 02:36 PM

I'm with Crefloors... to each his/her own. I too enjoy reading others reports and live vicariously through their adventures. Living in the metro NY area we have ample oppotunity to spend $$$ for lovely dinners. Last night we had an anniversary dinner at Blue Inn at Stone Barns in Tarrytown. Quite exceptional. And although we didn't spend $500 on it (more in the $200 range for 2) I'm sure if we had been in Paris for our anniversary we'd go the extra yard (or more). However, now I'm interested in where Crefloors goes shopping!!!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Hagan... If I had the spare change for that type of meal I'd spend it, at least once.

Different strokes for different folks! (and so on and so on... oh I love sly stone as well. )
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Didn't mean to cause a stir, but to each his own. And besides, if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a meal, what better time and place than our honeymoon in Paris. You don't get many of those.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Bigal, the breakfast is expensive. I too thought it should have been included, which is why we skipped it altogether. With so many other options right in the immediate neighborhood, at much less, its really not worth it.

Franco, thanks for the correction.