Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Final Itinerary (I hope!) with Daily Activities
Notices

Final Itinerary (I hope!) with Daily Activities

Apr 22nd, 2016, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Final Itinerary (I hope!) with Daily Activities

Hi all,

So I think that my itinerary for the summer trip to Europe with my two young boys is final. I thought it was final a few weeks ago until my husband decided to join us mid-trip. I am including a few route options that I'd like opinions on if possible, as well as listing some day activities that I've found. I'd love some insight on any of these activities if you have it; i.e. are they worth the drive, the price, will they hold the interest of two boys, 6 and 8! Thanks in advance! They are typical boys

Day 1: Flight LAX to Brussels (assuming British Airways LHR to BRU will continue as planned)

Day 2: Arrive Brussels early evening, rental car pick up, and drive to Retie Belgium on the Dutch border, 1/2 hour from Eindhoven.

Days 3-5: Day trip options from Retie: Zaanse Schans, Genneper Parks (Outdoor Museum particularly), Efteling. My oldest son wants to go to Gouda, but we won't be there for cheese market. Kinderdijk?

Day 6: Drive from Retie to Freiburg. This will be a long day in the car. Route options through Holland and into Germany (maybe too much construction) or south through Belgium/France/Germany. Considering planning a stop to break up the drive. Bokrijk? Trier?

Days 7 and 8: Freibug. We will be just north of Freiburg at the end of the trip for a few days. Day trip ideas are Colmar, Basel, Koenigsburg Castle, Ecomuseum of Alsace in Ungersheim , Eguisheim, Belchen Seilbahn.

Day 9: Drive to Stuttgart on way to Munich. Overnight in Stuttgart. Plan to leave Freiburg early and take the boys to the Porsche Museum.

Day 10: Stuttgart to Augsburg. This is the day my husband arrives in Munich. Having him take the train to Augsburg so that the boys and I aren't driving forever. We have a friend's apartment in Augsburg for the night.

Days 11: Augsburg to Maria Alm

Days 11-16: Hotel in Maria Alm. Options for the days are Grossglocknerstrasse (High Alpine Road), Zell Am See, Saalachtaler Naturgewalten, Erlebnispark Familienland, Salt Mines (not sure which ones?), Eisriesenwelt.

Day 16: Drive Maria Alm to Chiemsee. I have always wanted to visit Berchtestgaden. Thought this might be a nice time to do it.

Days 17 and 18: Chiemsee. No plans if the weather is good except swimming at the Chiemsee from Gstadt.

Day 19: Drive to a tiny town (Fluorn Winzeln) to stay with friends. Dropping husband off in Munich.

Days 20-22: Fluorn Winzeln (Southwest of Tuebingen.) Would like to see a couple of Black Forest towns. Vogtsbauernhof in Gutach? Wolfach, Shiltach, Haslach all are very close.

Day 23: Drive to Freiburg. Stop in Gengenbach on way in?

Days 24-26: Freiburg. See options above.

Day 27: Begin drive back to Brussels. Stop in Belgium just outside of Luxembourg City. Worth doing a few hours in Luxembourg City? Chemin de la Corniche?

Day 28: Drive to Brussels.

Day 29: Ghent?

Day 30: Fly home.

I am tired just reading this! I thank you for any info you have.
Apr 23rd, 2016, 03:46 AM

I don't like Luxembourg that much but it would e a pity not to stop.

The drive to Bxl on day 28 will only take you 2,5 hours. You can then take your kids to the Atomium - you have little europe (?) there and you can go to Aqualibi with the kids.

https://www.walibi.com/aqualibi-landing

Gent is one of the most if not the most eautiful city in Belgium.
Apr 23rd, 2016, 04:46 AM

Trier is a good afternoon stop, see the old Roman buildings or Karl Marx's birth house. You could then drive down the Mosel (but would probably take the motorway) and then over the Pfalz to Freibourg. The castle in Alsace is a good kids visit, though you might think about a visit to the concentration camp at http://www.struthof.fr/en/home/ if the kids are ready for it (when will kids ever be ready for it? probably answers that question, so I'd do it, but this is your call)

I tend to route through Holland and Germany as I dislike paying French motorway tolls.

I find Colmar a bit touristy, why not stay in one of the smaller villages, I'm in Eguisheim in Sept and there is at least one hotel with a pool etc.

Yes Luxembourg is a good visit. I guess with your obvious knowledge you didn't miss the Trump gaff about why Luxembourg doesn't pay for Nato, the cliff and fortress remains are well worth a few hours clamber http://www.fortified-places.com/luxembourg/ http://www.planetware.com/tourist-at...xembourg-l.htm
Apr 23rd, 2016, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips!

Whathello, I looked at the Aqualibi website and it looks great, although doesn't allow board shorts. Wonder why.....guess I have to get my kids Speedos.

I agree, so close to Luxembourg, why not stop. And I think I'd kick myself if I was so close to Ghent, but didn't make it there!

<http://www.struthof.fr/en/home/ if the kids are ready for it>>

Bilboburgler, I will look at the website. We've done some reading on the Holocaust and camps already, so I think they are "ready".

<>

We are staying in the city of Freiburg at a friend's apartment and at a farmhouse just north of the city, so we will only do a day trip into Alsace. I have avoided Colmar in the past due to it being touristy and crowded. Sometimes with kids, it's a matter of driving in, bribing them with a walk around a city that they are convinced they've seen already, getting ice cream, and heading somewhere more kid-friendly!

Search this Thread