Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   films to set the tone for upcoming trip! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/films-to-set-the-tone-for-upcoming-trip-935830/)

hollywoodgreyhound May 20th, 2012 06:49 AM

films to set the tone for upcoming trip!

When I visited London, Paris, Rome for the first time in 2007, a friend recommended some old films that really spoke to the "mood" and "scene" of those marvelous cities. Watching the films not only taught me a little about the culture of those places, but also helped revv me up for the travels!

I'm hoping you might have recommendation(s) for films that showcase the culture, beauty etc of Ireland, Scotland, Amsterdam and Germany.

It's casting a wide net, but I'm not picky... I would love to hear what you think!

To give you an idea, before my last Europe trip, I watched Roman Holiday, Charade, and La Dolce Vita to name a couple. I loved them, had never seen them before, and felt totally swept away by what I was about to experience.

Thank you! Happy trails!

TPAYT May 20th, 2012 07:05 AM

"Leap Year" with Amy Adams. Definitely a chick flick but fun. Ireland.

Apres_Londee May 20th, 2012 07:10 AM

It's not Amsterdam, but "Girl with a Pearl Earring" is about Vermeer and set in Delft.

Maybe "Braveheart" for Scotland?

Most German films I can think of are quite dark and moody, and don't really focus on scenery. I recently saw "The Countess", where Germany stood in for Hungary and Romania. There were some beautiful shots of the countryside and castles. But it's a dark film, about Elizabeth Bathory.

PatrickLondon May 20th, 2012 07:35 AM

>>Maybe "Braveheart" for Scotland? <<

I think not. Try Local Hero.

Apres_Londee May 20th, 2012 07:53 AM

What's the name of that old TV series starring Robert Carlyle with the little white Scottie dog? I think it was a crime drama set in Scotland. Actually it might not be what OP wants because it was kind of bleak.

How about The 39 Steps? It's more fun than anything else.

cigalechanta May 20th, 2012 09:26 AM

Ryan's Daughter,
Quackster FortuneF has a cousin in the Bronx,
The Odessa File,
Run, Lola, Run

hetismij2 May 20th, 2012 09:47 AM

If you can find it in English or with English subtitles there's always Amsterdamned. Though part of the canal chase is actually Utrecht ;).

Local Hero is a great film for Scotland. The TV series is Hamish MacBeth.
There's always Trainspotting too if you want really bleak.

mnapoli May 20th, 2012 09:54 AM

"Waking Ned Divine" is a great comedy set in a small Irish village. I also loved "The Secret of Roan Inish"

"Dear Frankie" is a really good movie set in present day Scotland.

crellston May 20th, 2012 10:10 AM

"old TV series starring Robert Carlyle" - Hamish Macbeth

Rastaguytoday May 20th, 2012 11:13 AM

There's a ton of 'tour' type videos on YouTube.

Local Hero is a great movie almost nobody saw. Another lost and forgotten Scottish movie is Comfort and Joy.

alanRow May 20th, 2012 11:44 AM

<i>Maybe "Braveheart" for Scotland? </i>

God No. Try The Wicker Man (the original, not the remake), Trainspotting, Shallow Grave, Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Hallam Foe, The Illusionist, Restless Natives!, The Bridal Path - but definitely Gregory's Girl & Local Hero.

You might also want to consider Whisky Galore.

texasbookworm May 20th, 2012 12:34 PM

Obscure one but I enjoyed it--Stone of Destiny--based on the truth of the recent history of the Stone of Scone.

The recent BBC series Case Histories about Jackson Brodie are set (unlike the books) in Edinburgh.

Rob Roy maybe?

And maybe a Macbeth or two!

annhig May 20th, 2012 01:14 PM

What's the name of that old TV series starring Robert Carlyle with the little white Scottie dog?>>

Hamish McBeth.

annhig May 20th, 2012 01:19 PM

Balamory has nice pictures.

colonna May 20th, 2012 02:33 PM

Two movies set in German restaurants: Mostly Martha and Soul Kitchen (Fatih Akin).

latedaytraveler May 20th, 2012 03:22 PM

Hollywoodgreyhound,

Watching films really gets you in the mood for travel.

For Scotland, I would suggest MRS. BROWN, bio-top of the “romance” between the widowed Queen Victoria and her ghillie/servant John Brown. Stars Judi Dench and has fabulous Highland scenery.

Of course, THE QUEEN features many scenes around Balmoral.

For Ireland, THE WAKING OF NED DEVINE. Although actually filmed on the Isle of Man, it has beautiful scenery and warm Irish wit.

And going way back, you have RYAN’S DAUGHTER and THE QUIET MAN.

For UK – THE KING’S SPEECH and THE IRON LADY among others.

allisonm May 20th, 2012 03:38 PM

War of the Buttons for the west of Ireland. One of my favorite movies. Watch the Ballykissangel tv series, filmed partly in Avoca.

lavandula May 20th, 2012 05:54 PM

> It's not Amsterdam, but "Girl with a Pearl Earring" is about Vermeer and set in Delft.

Actually it was all filmed in Luxembourg - but I have to agree, it's a visually stunning film.

Lavandula

outwest May 20th, 2012 06:12 PM

For Germany you might enjoy Goodbye Lenin and The Lives of Others—both deal with Berlin under communism.

tailsock May 20th, 2012 06:37 PM

Eurotrip and European Vacation haha