Search

Film Cost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Lorenz

Film Cost

Anyone recently purchase 35mm film in Italy, not at tourist trap ? What was the cost, 24-36 x ASA100 ? How about film development cost ? I am trying to avoid the horror stories of film damage by the inrceased use of X-ray machines.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:53 PM
elaine

Lorenz<BR>Have you read that many horror stories?<BR>In the past 6 months I've been to the UK and Italy, and not recently nor in past travels elsewhere have I ever had<BR>raw or used 35mm film damaged in either carryons or checked bags. And I don't use lead bags.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:34 AM
dean

Film at tourist traps is about $7.00 a roll for 24 exposure. There are camera shops where it is less. In Rome, we found a discounter and the film was about $3.50 a roll in 3 packs. Since I can buy film for around 7-8 for a 4 pack at my local film shop i usually bring a bunch and only bbuy film when i run out during a day. I have never ahd problems with the xray machines. I use lead bags and have the film hand checked. I pack it on the very top of my carry on bags.<BR><BR>I never have the film developed in Italy. I trust my local shop very much and feel the danger of using some strange shop to be much more than that of transporting the film back.<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Gretchen

I think if we are talking tourist film being taken from here to Europe for a typical trip there is not much risk of it being hurt--if you put it in your carry-on. Checked luggage is apparently being put through high powered scanners and there might be a chance then. Professionals use a different grade of film that could be more sensitive. Bring it from home.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:26 PM
xxx

As relates to this discussion, the film character of pro and amateur film have the same reactions to x-rays. The x-rays you will USUALLY encounter for carry-on luggage at airports (for an ASA of 400 or less) will not damage film. Having said that, I ALWAYS carry my film in a double-lined lead bag. I have never had any security person ask to see the film. I have carried film all over Asia and Europe, both unexposed (in answer to question: if you are in the States, buy here, it is cheaper, contact bhphoto.com for best prices and reliable film) and exposed film to be processed back here in the States. Have used Joes Basement in London. Reliable but expensive. Haven't had to buy film overseas at all, but have priced it overseas for future reference and found it to be more expensive than b&h and who knows the background of the film?<BR>Higher ASA's, 800 or above, should, FOR SURE, be in a double lined lead bag as the higher the ASA, the more susceptalbe (sp?) the film is to exposure from x-rays. Also, x-rays have a cumulative affect on the same roll of film.<BR>Last, NEVER check your film in your checked luggage as the x-rays are not regulated to the degree as carryon luggage. I have thrown out clothes to get all my film in my carryon luggage and stuffed in pockets, and begging people I don't know to stuff some in their pockets...

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Lorenz

Thanks for the great feedback !