Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Figuring out B&B Prices (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/figuring-out-b-and-b-prices-207686/)

Melissa Linkinhoker Apr 26th, 2002 04:51 PM

Figuring out B&B Prices

Looking through the B&B books, we are a little confused. We have been told that B&Bs are less expensive than hotels, but it looks like most B&Bs are 35 pounds per person per day. There are three of us including my 10 year old daughter. @ 1 pound = $1.45, a room would be $152 a night. I've found plenty of hotels in that range. Do we understand the pricing?

janis Apr 26th, 2002 05:09 PM

it depends on where you are visiting. Out in the country, 35 GBP per person is moderately high for a nice B&B. In London 35 GBP is low. <BR><BR>An example of how to figure a B&B's rate: If a B&B charges say 27GBP double, it will likely be around 20GBP triple and 35GBP single. Most B&Bs have double or twin rooms with plus a family room(s) and sometimes a single room.<BR><BR>You should be looking for a triple or family room. Except in London you should not have to pay more than 60GBP per night - and probably less. And remember, that includes a 4 or 5 course cooked breakfast.

sarah Apr 26th, 2002 07:40 PM

Melissa,<BR><BR>Most of the B&B's have web sites with email addresses so you can tell them your requirements and contact them directly. Be sure you know if tax is included, and breakfast.<BR><BR>I recently researched the same thing as my family of four was going to London in late March. I poured over several books, but "Cheap Sleeps in London," by Sandra Gustafson, was my main guide. I picked some possibilities and then emailed. I found 25 GBP/person to be pretty standard and as low as we could go for a place that looked decent, but the rates were going up on April 1. <BR><BR>For us, this was less expensive than any hotels I looked at, as my husband is tall and his feet hang over the end of a standard double bed. Plus, our kids are boy and girl, 12 and 15, so they couldn't be in a double either. That generally meant we'd have to have two hotel rooms, which was more expensive.<BR><BR>You may have to just bite the bullet and pay more than you'd like to stay in London. We finally got used to that idea. We had a wonderful time and so will you!

Claudia Apr 28th, 2002 11:24 AM

Sarah,<BR><BR>Would you recommend the place where you stayed? I am traveling with my husband and son in July and am looking for a reasonably priced B&B for the 3 of us.

sarah Apr 28th, 2002 05:10 PM

I'll tell you the results of my research. Hopefully, others will comment, if they've actually stayed at these places. Also, try searching for places, by name, on this site.<BR><BR>First, we stayed at the Swiss House Hotel in South Kensington. It was nice, but they no longer have the afternoon snack written about in all the guide books. It's about a 7 minute walk from the Gloucester tube stop and that 7 minutes got longer every trip. Still, it was clean and we had the family room on the first floor, which slept four and was quite large. I understand they have smaller rooms, as well. The breakfast was fine.<BR><BR>The Morgan Hotel, in Bloomsbury, is near the British Museum and gets good reviews (Frommers has it listed as best moderately priced B&B). <BR>Also, great reviews for the James/Cartref House. It's near Victoria Station and Buckingham Palace.<BR><BR>The Balmoral House is supposed to be exceptionally clean and nice. (Recommended in Cheap Sleeps and Lonely Planet) I think the street it is on is busy, but it may actually be family run, which would be a plus. Nearby is the Fairways, run by the sister of the Cartref House people, and its supposed to be good, too.<BR><BR>Check out the Vicarage House Hotel. I read about it and would have given my eye teeth to stay there, but it was booked. It's in an exceptionally pretty spot, I gather.<BR><BR>I have picked out ones that I read about on several sources, and that seem to be well liked by all and that had bathrooms and rooms for families. I tried to only look at ones that would be around 100 pounds/night for four, but, like I said, it will be more expensive everywhere in the summer.<BR><BR>There are many other places that I'm sure are good. It's just a matter of ferreting them out. Good luck!

Melissa Apr 29th, 2002 06:33 PM

Thanks.

steve Apr 30th, 2002 10:50 AM

The british national tourist office site has listings of zillions of B&B's. It is a little awkward finding them, but if you just roam around the site, you should find them

sarah May 8th, 2002 07:59 AM

ttt for Laurie