Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fiesta in Pamplona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fiesta-in-pamplona-227895/)

Peter Jun 4th, 2002 07:46 AM

Fiesta in Pamplona

Has anybody been to the Fiesta in Pamplona? What is it like????? My brother wants to go, but I am not so sure. We are in our 30s.

Ange Jun 4th, 2002 08:47 AM

Hey Peter,<BR><BR>I have never been to Pamplona before but I am going for the Running of the Bulls next month. I dont' know if you want to stay in a hostel,hotel or on camping grounds but if you are gonna go this year...It will be very hard to find hotels this time of year. I had to make reservations for a hotel nearly 6 months in advance. Everything cheap went very quickly. I can't believe how fast the hotels were booked out. Basically, I am only staying 3 days cause the price of the hotel we got is on the pricey side. We are getting in on July 6th when they start off the fiesta and staying till the 9th...I think that will be good enough.I heard there's not much to see after that...So we're heading to Barcelona after.<BR><BR>I am going with my boyfriend,I'm a little scared cause I hear things get roudy...but hey you only live once right?<BR><BR>So if you don't go this year....and you decide to go next...Book in advanced like 6months. Unless your gonna ruff n tuff it of course.<BR><BR><BR>Good luck

cheryl Jun 5th, 2002 08:29 AM

i have never seen so many drunks in my life as in Pamplona that week. They're all over - lying in the streets, puking in corners, etc. Lots of pushing and shoving to get a view of the actual running, which is usually headed by these very same drunks.<BR>hard to find food, as there are so many people. you are out of luck as far as lodging, unless you want to bring a sleeping bag and curl up on the sidewalk.<BR>i'm glad I went, but I would never, never go back. Scary place.

The Boyfriend Jun 5th, 2002 08:32 AM

Yeah man,<BR><BR>You only live once!! <BR><BR>Viva San Fermin!.....<BR><BR>Kid.

San Fermin Jun 7th, 2002 12:15 PM

Whatever Cheryl, go hang out in Paris with the rest of the uptight lamewads. Pete, if you are into good times then I highly recommend Pamplona. Yes there are a lot of intoxicated people but everyone is having a good time. I didn't see a single fight the entire time I was there which is amazing for how many people there are in such a small place. You should plan 9 months in advance if you want to go however b/c lodging is very tough to come by. I am in my 30's and I will be going back this year and I can't wait - time of my life.

Brandon Jun 7th, 2002 01:09 PM

Please tell me there won't be any "Cheryl's" at the festival this year. It's my first San Fermine and I can't wait. Regarding lodging, we booked about 6 months early and got a room at La Perla which is right on the bull run. It's also where Hemmingway stayed when he lived in Spain. Trust me, it wasn't cheap. We'll be there for 5 nights (5th-10th) and the total was over $1200. We probably got screwed, but oh well...once in a lifetime experience right! After Pamplona it's off to Ibiza for 4 more nights of insanity.

banTDWaterhouse Jun 12th, 2002 01:45 PM

Idiots. Plain and simple.

ange Jun 13th, 2002 07:25 AM

What the heck did I ever do to deserve the comment above...got me...I thought I was just giving some advice...<BR><BR>Some people are so warped...Glad you won't be on my trip....

banTDWaterhouse Jun 13th, 2002 10:10 AM

You and your friend Kid are consumate idiots. You sound like the type of people that really make Americans look bad overseas. I would not post the fact that you are with TD Waterhouse either as you are making them look like they hire high school drop-outs. Yikes! Anyone using TD, beware!

pat Jun 13th, 2002 10:27 AM

Cheryl is right. It was a one time experience, for me anyway. People are very drunk and vomiting and it kind of turned me off. However, do go! It is exciting and something you will remember.

topping Jun 13th, 2002 03:42 PM

Topping for TD Waterhouse in all their glory.

Rel Jun 14th, 2002 03:25 AM

You'll certainly never forget it - that is if you're not drunk with 99% of the population - it was grose or is that gross?!

Peter Jun 15th, 2002 06:06 AM

I am going to show all this to my brother and let him decide. That it is not cheap, that we know. To Brandon especially, thank you for your help. Hope you had a nice time there. We are planning to go there next year, if at all, so we have enough time to decide and get ourselves a hotel. If you ever have been to the Oktoberfest in Munich like us, then you are used to drunk people. By the way are there any female participants?

Kidtfox Jun 17th, 2002 10:04 AM

Haters drink haterade...<BR><BR>Hey "Mr. Ban"...you sound like the other penis's who said that the world was flat! Take the stick out your ass, eat your peanut butter, you might even like it, since you like the taste of your ass so much! <BR><BR>What your boyfriend left you for a hydrant? Or you were just tired of getting pee'd on? May your IQ,...idiot qoutient wasn't high enough to sit amongst high schoolers...that's why you still kicking bottles and cans around the trailer park, while popping out little can kicking thumb suckers like yourself.<BR><BR>Get a degree that don't invole keeping the tools... I make America look bad? When's the last time you looked in a mirror jerk...

banTDWaterhouse Jun 17th, 2002 10:56 AM

Thank you for proving my point, and so very eloquently stated as well.<BR><BR>You are a danger to yourself and to others. Sit tight... they'll be coming by with your medication soon enough.

kidtfox Jun 17th, 2002 07:06 PM

Okay tuff guy...<BR><BR>The closest you'll ever get to plane is making a paper one...<BR><BR>I'm done with you...<BR>

Gareth Jun 18th, 2002 08:10 AM

Right enough of this now for some serious advice. <BR>Pamplona is full of drunks, can be a nightmare at this time of year, but it is fantastic fun. Why dont you try one of the other bull run festivals that take place all over Spain at this time of year. It will be cheaper, quieter and you can get away from all those on a Hemingway trip.

San Fermin Jun 18th, 2002 08:31 AM

Look, the festival is what it is. If you don't like crowds and severe partying then don't go. But I certainly would not recommend going to a different festival for the purpose of running with the bulls. Why spend $2500 on a trip across the pond (assuming you are coming from the U.S.) and not run in Pamplona. You can spend about $2000 less and do it in Arizona if you want a second rate experience.

Brandon Jun 21st, 2002 06:26 PM

Couldn't agree more. If you want a nice, quiet vacation, go somewhere else. People come to Pamplona for one main reason this time of year, to enjoy the festival. Enjoying the festival involves consuming copious amounts of sangria, staying up all night, perhaps putting your life on the line and, most importantly, meeting people from all over the world who enjoy doing the same thing. If it doesn't sound like your thing, don't go. And if you went and had no idea what you were getting into, shame on you for not doing enough research. All Peter is doing is trying to do what you didn't do...get the facts before he commits. Nuff' said. See you in Pamplona (July 5-10th).