FIDO to Switzerland

Old Jul 11th, 2020, 05:22 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIDO to Switzerland

We are planning to bring our 75 pounds Goldie with us to Switzerland from San Francisco Bay Area next spring for an extended stay, when things settle down a bit. We hope.

I would like to hear from anyone with first hand experience flying with a large animal. Once we are there we should be fine, just the trek getting there seems a little daunting. (Thinking SFO to ZRH on Swiss Air non-stop for ease, (I think UA co-share with Swiss???) but open to any other airlines that travels non-stop)

TIA.
coolcamden is offline  
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 06:51 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 67,319
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
How 'extended' a stay.? IMO - unless you are moving permanently or even semi-permanently I would seriously reconsider taking the dog. And even then I might not. When I moved to England I had a Norwegian Elkhound and a crazy cat and after agonizing for a couple of months, decided to let my parents 'adopt' them because I didn't want to put them through the ordeal. When I moved back to the States 5 years later I had a Scottie, Airedale, and another crazy cat. I couldn't bear leaving them behind so I shipped them home. They all survived but the Airedale struggled for a few months. The Scottie and cat were traumatized. They bounced back sooner than the Airedale but it was a struggle. On top of the actual noise and confusion of the airport, crates, etc -- there was a baggage handlers strike at LHR so their trip ended up taking more than 32 hours door to door.

I loved them and didn't 'regret' bringing them home but I'm convinced they would have been happier addopted to a good family -- shipping them was more for me than for them. I decided I would never ever ship animals UNLESS I could have it in the cabin. If this is just a long vacation -- really think about leaving your goldie at home with friends or family . . . Just my 2Ę
janisj is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 04:18 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,587
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coolcamden View Post
We are planning to bring our 75 pounds Goldie with us to Switzerland from San Francisco Bay Area next spring for an extended stay, when things settle down a bit. We hope.

I would like to hear from anyone with first hand experience flying with a large animal. Once we are there we should be fine, just the trek getting there seems a little daunting. (Thinking SFO to ZRH on Swiss Air non-stop for ease, (I think UA co-share with Swiss???) but open to any other airlines that travels non-stop)

TIA.
I know of at least a dozen people here in Basel who had their pets flown to Switzerland for job transfer reasons. All followed the precautions to minimize risk and they came through fine. Our former upstairs neighbors flew their golden from SFO to ZRH and she also arrived fine. Our cocker came to us from New Zealand. Please PM me if you would like more specific info.
WeisserTee is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 06:29 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it depends on what an extended stay is really. If it is for a job transfer then fine, but if it is for a long holiday I don't think I would do it.
hetismij2 is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 06:33 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,587
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
I guess it depends on what an extended stay is really. If it is for a job transfer then fine, but if it is for a long holiday I don't think I would do it.
Agree. But at work many consider a three-year assignment an extended stay. And itís not uncommon for those to be stretched out or even rolled into a permanent role in this country.
WeisserTee is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 07:44 AM
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all replies so far. Please keep them coming.

We plan on a stay of 6 to 9 months. My wife has an apartment in a small rural village an hour outside of Zurich. It’s too much of a burden to ask anyone to care for our dog for that length of time. We decided to bring the dog if we go, if we can’t bring him we just wouldn’t go. So it’s not about the decision that I’m asking, I’m asking for shared experience of the flight protocol with the dog itself.

WeisserTee, sending you a DM. Thanks

Thank you.

coolcamden is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 07:57 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah then I would take the dog certainly. You know you need to have various immunisations and paperwork for Fido I assume, and you need to get that organised in plenty of time.
Is your wife a Swiss/EU citizen? If not you will need visas for such a long stay, but I guess you know that!
hetismij2 is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 08:37 AM
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
Ah then I would take the dog certainly. You know you need to have various immunisations and paperwork for Fido I assume, and you need to get that organised in plenty of time.
Is your wife a Swiss/EU citizen? If not you will need visas for such a long stay, but I guess you know that!
Thanks hetismij2 for your kind replies and follow up. Yes, she is a Swiss citizen.
coolcamden is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 02:33 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no experience so canít offer any help other than to say do your research very well...

I would use Fido as an excuse to stay even longer!!!
schnauzer is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 03:09 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 67,319
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You asked for experience -- which I gave you (mine was flying in to SFO, not out of there but same issues apply). How old is the dog? How healthy? IMO shipping that large a dog just isn't a great idea. But if you insist -- ONLY if you can book a non-stop flight.
janisj is offline  
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 03:12 PM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,587
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj View Post
You asked for experience -- which I gave you (mine was flying in to SFO, not out of there but same issues apply). How old is the dog? How healthy? IMO shipping that large a dog just isn't a great idea. But if you insist -- ONLY if you can book a non-stop flight.
How long ago was that? Did you use Swiss airlines?
WeisserTee is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information