Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fiddling with our 14 night itinerary in Tuscany/Umbria/Prague/Vienna...suggestions?

Fiddling with our 14 night itinerary in Tuscany/Umbria/Prague/Vienna...suggestions?

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone...it's nice to be back here after a 2 year absence from travelling to Europe!
Looking for some advice about our July trip....we plan on returning to Tuscany for the third time...and we will spend 4 nights there...next we are moving on to Umbria for the first time...we will likely be basing ourselves in Montefalco. From there, we are off on a cheap flight to Prague..and we have now decided to take advantage of the train to Vienna to check out Vienna before flying home...so my questions...

1. First time in Umbria...3 nights or 4 nights? We will already have been in Montepulciano for 4 nights.

2. Prague and Vienna...which one gets the extra night? We will arrive in Prague at 17:00 while earlier in the afternoon for Vienna...currently thinking 4 nights Prague, 2 nights Vienna as people seem to rave more about Prague..but am still unsure when I read some comments about Vienna extolling its virtues.. should I be thinking 3 and 3 nights instead?

thanks as always for your advice everyone,
cheers,
CC

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM

There will be plenty to do in Umbria during a 4 night stay. Stay 4 nights.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM

How about:

Four Nights Montepulciano
Three Nights Umbria. We loved Spello as a base to see Assisi, Spoleto, Montefalco, Bevagna, Gubbio (don't miss the Bucket of Bolts) and Perugia
Four Nights Prague
Three Nights Vienna

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM

CaptCanuck - FYI - For future posts (and perhaps this problem will be fixed in the upgrades next month), leave space between your heading as it messes up the thread titles in the left-hand column when you don't and makes them difficult to read. Sometimes the editors can fix it if you send them an e-mail ([email protected]). Some people will refrain from responding in order to let your post drop out of the top 50 so the board straightens back out. You might want to start a new thread and copy the answers you have here to it.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM

I wouldn't pick Montefalco as a base for exploring Umbria. It's in a lovely spot but not the most convenient one for getting to the farther corners of Umbria.

The Vienna v. Prague debate reminds me a little bit of the Venice v. Florence debate. I think it comes down to personal preference, and you won't know your own until you've visited both. I think there is a longer list of things to see in Vienna, but I thought the list for Prague was a little (not a lot) more intereseting.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM

I used Montefalco as a base and really liked it. My main reason for picking it was because the local wine -- one of the very finest produced in Italy -- is also one of the strongest. It was quite nice to just walk home after dinner!

Have you already picked out where you want to go in Umbria? Perhaps there is another town that would make more sense than Montefalco.

Also, where were you thinking of staying in Montefalco? I very much enjoyed my stay at I Frantoio Brizi. Montefalco locals like their town because it catches a breeze in summer, which is not true of some other places in the central plain.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far everyone....and would love to hear a little more on the 3 night vs. 4 night Tuscany...and the Prague and Vienna thoughts....are we crazy if we only allow two nights for Vienna as well as it was just a last minute add on? or will I be wowed and should plan accordingly? As for Umbria, looking at Villa Zuccari right now just outside of Montefalco!
cheers,
CC
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM

For me the problem with staying in that villa outside Montefalco is that you either eat dinner at the villa or you drive someplace else. It's not in town. Even if you don't drink wine with dinner, it still can be nice to stay right within a town. It gives you more flexibility. If one of you wants to rest while the other does a bit of shopping or writing postcards in a cafe -- that sort of thing.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM

Hey Capt -
We spent 3 days and 2 nights in Vienna and that worked well for us. It was a last minute addition to our trip and was all the time we had before we had to get back to the airport. We spent time at the delightful pastry shops, walked the beautiful old part of town several times, and spent most of one day at the Kunsthistorischesmuseum (sp?) DH and I love art so sitting for a long time in the Breughal room was fantastic. We do plan to return to Vienna soon, hopefully this Christmas.

But I can't compare it to Prague as I've been nearly everywhere in Czech except for Prague. We spent several days each in Czesky Krumlov and Telc and then time in eastern Czech.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM

I would spend the extra night in Prague. I was just in Vienna (had been once before) and Prague in October. I spent one night longer in Prague and would have liked even more time. I think Vienna is a wonderful city -- I heartily second the recommendation for the Kunsthistorisches Museum and would also recommend Schonbrunn Palace, the Hofburg, Stephansdom and Karlskirche -- but I think Prague is simply amazing.

Prague is a large city, but parts of it don't feel that way, especially Mala Strana below the Castle around Nerudova Street and Kampa Island. Also, don't miss the views of the Tyn Church from the Old Town Hall Tower; the church is one of the most stunning structures I have ever seen. Even if the line is long, don't skip St. Vitus Cathedral either; the multi-hued light projected by the sun through the stained-glass windows alone is worth a visit.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice everyone...an extra day in Prague it is!
cheers,
CC