FF trip to Paris in Feb, my cheapo present to my daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here is what I'm thinking of doing for (to) my daughter for her Christmas present...10 days in Paris in February. Oh, and the time I'm looking at also includes her birthday.

She is 22, single and lives in Upstate NY, right on the lake so she has gotten used to chilly winter times.

Last year she went to Japan for a week, but stayed with our friends. She also spent 7 days in Rome with us. This would be her first solo trip. She does speak some French.

Anyway, USAir has this deal on FF miles for Europe in Feb. 35,000 miles RT and I just happen to have those miles. So I'm figuring I'll get the ticket, get her a nice hostel and some bucks for spending money.

Should I be ashamed at doing this on the cheap? Or should I be proud of getting off the hook for two presents at once, on the cheap?

dave
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Wow... will you be my dad??
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:06 AM
ira

Hi D,

>Should I be ashamed at doing this on the cheap? <

Absolutely.

You should give her the price of two 1cl tickets, so that she can bring a friend and really enjoy her b'day in Paris.

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:12 AM

I think you are wonderful. She will be elated!!

What a bout lodging..will she be able to handle that?

a bientot..

Joan
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Sorry, I missed the hostel and the "few bucks"...

Joan
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I don't think it's cheap as I never got anything that expensive from my parents for Christmas in my entire life. Not that I actually think there is anything wrong with that.

However, you don't mention any details of how you know she wants to do this, so all I can say is I would go ballistic if someone bought a ticket for me to go somewhere on a certain date without consulting me. Okay, they are FF miles, so if that means she can change them easily, okay, but I doubt it. Maybe you know this is fine with her, you don't even mention anything about what she does for a living or anything.

Even when I was 22, I wouldn't have liked someone else deciding for me when I was to go on a major trip, and maybe I would have had plans or reasons I couldn't go (like work), or perhaps I just would have to desire to go to Europe in February. Just because it is free doesn't mean someone is going to want to do it. I didn't have any money when I was 22, either, but I probalby could have afforded some cheap meals on a trip, but I would have wanted to choose the dates myself, and they wouldn't be February.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Dad! What happened to the pair of socks you usually give me for Christmas?!!!!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I think I struck a nerve with Christina.

dave
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
adopt me
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM

and me.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM

If anyone ever at any time at any age offered me a free trip to Paris I would kiss the ground they walked on..You rock, Dave.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Dave, anyone can give me a trip to Paris for any time they see fit. Btw, we do secret Santas on Fodor's and guess what?!? You drew my name!!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM

I think it's a wonderfully generous present, but I do understand where Christina's coming from. I can't even begin to imagine "surprising" my 21-year-old daughter with a trip anywhere. It's hard enough to get her on board the actual plane she's already agreed to get on - there's always something that comes up so that she wants to change flights and leave earlier or later, or something. Her days are planned VERY far out, and then there are always the spur-of-the-moment social occasions and work and school requirements that come up - a surprise trip somewhere would probably horrify her.

I guess if you know your daughter's schedule, it's fine, and if her schedule is pretty wide open...but personally, I'd let her know well in advance.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everyone.

No this isn't cheap. It's terrific. It sounds as if she likes to travel, and therefore this is a generous and thoughtful present.

But yes, do consult her about the dates just to make sure.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Adopt moi aussi!

If your daughter doesn't want the trip, bet you'll easily find another taker!

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

I actually did kind of ask her if she would do it. She knows I ask all kinds of crazy things and she knows that if she doesn't give me the yea or nay, then it may just happen. That was how the Japan trip happened last year...

"So, what would you think about spending spring break with a Japanese family you never met?"

I also asked her if she would like to go to Cancun (yeah, like that would happen) or sky dive (that did happen).