Few ticket offices in the Paris metro

Mar 13th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Few ticket offices in the Paris metro

The RATP is slowly but surely removing the manned ticket offices from 80% of the metro stations and replacing them with machines. Within 3 years, there are only supposed to be about 70 ticket offices left.

Those of you lacking credit cards with microchips would be well advised to have a lot of change on you if you are buying carnets and things of that nature -- or else make sure you know where you can find a ticket office when you need one.

Most post offices have change machines, just in case you don't know. The RATP used to have a couple, but they seem to have disappeared. However, perhaps the new generation of ticket machines will finally accept banknotes.
Mar 13th, 2008, 02:45 AM

Will the tabacs and other shops still be selling tickets?

In London, the back-up is the convenience store selling travelcard and Oyster cash topups.
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:06 AM

kerouac, I've noticed the evaporation of staffed ticket offices over the last few years. Happily, there are a few machines that take notes; I'm always delighted to feed in a €20 note and get a pile of change and a stack of tickets.

Next thing you know they'll be removing phone booths ... oh, wait a minute, they're getting scarce, too.

Anselm
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:27 AM

...removing phone booths in the metro? Good thing mobile phones work pretty well in the metro!
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM

so, as a traveler in paris, one should get the Navigo card and add euros on to it? where are they sold if ticket windows are gone? we usually get carnets, but a pass would be so much easier.

thx
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM
ira

Hi M,

>so, as a traveler in paris, one should get the Navigo card and add euros on to it?

I ain't gonna pay 5E pp + the price of a photo just to ride the metro.

I don't need no stinking badge.

See
www.ratp.info/informer/passe_navigo_orange.php

Mar 13th, 2008, 07:12 AM

ira, you're funny...

i agree about the badges, but the carnets can be a pain, and there are three of us. it just depends on how easy it is to get it.

thx
Mar 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

The tabacs will continue to sell metro tickets (and phone cards and stamps and everything else they can think of) -- as tobacco declines, the government keeps throwing them some crumbs to help them reconvert their commerces.

Search this Thread