Few little things I'd like to know about Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2018, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the rooms tend to be overheated or cold in April? I want to know what to bring for sleeping. Three other questions:
1) How do I get to my hotel near Plitvace if I'm not renting a car? How do I get around the park once I'm there? Will I need bug repellant for the park?
2) Are the ferries rough enough to need Dramamine. 3) How strong is the sun in April? I do burn but wonder how strong a sunscreen I should take with me.
Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 09:25 PM
kja

The heat in your room will depend on the hotel.

I believe several of us already directed you to rome2rio.com to identify your transportation options -- use it, and the links to which it directs you, to figure out how to get anywhere, including from wherever you will be before the Plitvice Lakes to the Plitvice Lakes. If traveling without a car, choose one of the hotels in the park itself.

Whether you need bug repellant depends on your sensitivity, whether and how much of your skin is exposed, etc.

Whether ferry crossing are rough depend on the specific ferries and the weather.

Check timeanddate.com for sun conditions. Or just take a sunscreen with 30 to 50 SPF.
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 09:37 PM

I would also just bring a strongsunscreen! It really depends on your skin type!
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

I have looked at Rome2Rio and it's a great resource. I think it will be great for traveling city to city. I was hoping for some advice on Plitvice based on my situation of not renting a car. I don't know the best way to go. I am staying in Hotel Degenija. I would like to join a group tour. I think that makes sense. I would think the hotel would be able to help. Should I contact them in advance?
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 02:38 PM
kja

One does not need a tour to visit the Plitvice Lakes. Basically, there is a marked walkway; you follow it. You are not allowed off it (to protect the fragile ecosystem).

You will find park rangers at each entrance who can answer your questions. Personally, I think it makes most sense to start at the entrance closest to the lowest lakes -- i think that's entrance #1 -- so that you are facing the waterfalls as you walk. Make a single loop through the park, including the boat across the big central lake; it takes about 6 or 7 hours.

Since your hotel is not in the park, contacting them in advance to learn your options for getting to and from the park makes sense.

Last edited by kja; Apr 1st, 2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 11:09 PM

You do not say where you live, nor is it mentioned in your profile, but if is in the northern hemisphere I would assume the April temperatures in Croatia would be like your home or most places in the spring. It will not be very warm, there will probably be rain, and it will be too cold to swim. (around 60 F or 17 C) Average high air temperatures for the month in Dubrovnik are 63 F, 17 C, average lows 52 F, 11 C. I cannot conceive there being a problem with overexposure to the sun unless you like cold baths or unless you have particularly sensitive skin. I wouldn't think there would be much of an insect problem that early, either.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Today, 6th of April - there was a beautiful sunny weather, almost like summer.