Notices

Few days outside Paris

Jul 10th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Few days outside Paris

Looking for easy accessible area outside Paris for 4-5 days without car. Is it possible to do Mont Saint Michel, Abbey, Amboise, Castle Chenonceau and Chambord area using bus or train transportation only? Would you base yourself in Mont for 3 nights and do rest as day trips? Any recommendations would be appreciated. The time frame is August 11th (after a 21 day trip).
Jul 10th, 2015, 01:32 PM

No those three Loire Castles and towns are wat too far time wise by train - rather base in Amboise and day trip easily to Chenonceau and Chambord (take train to Blois where there are regular shuttle buses in season) - or take the several mini-bus tours of a day or half day that take you to the gates of 2-3 castles (www.ACCO_DISPO.com is one I know has been around for a long time.

and yes do a long day trip to Mont Saint Michel (4.5 hours at best each way from Amboise via changes at St Pierre-des-Corps (Tours mainline station) and Le Mans to Rennes for buses that connect with TGV trains from Paris to the Mont or it may be quicker and more expensive to go back to Paris then shoot out to Rennes) - but a LONG day trip of several hours on train - rather on first or last day take train/bus to the Mont then 3.5 hours to Amboise for the last three days - Amboise that day as the castle is right in town - as is the Leonardo da Vinci House)

To get to Amboise you can take non-TGV trains from Paris-Austerlitz - cheaper - flat fare tickets pretty much vs TGV tickets via St Pierre-des-Corps though if you book far in advance that way could be cheaper - but then you book in stone - no changes no refunds and as discounted tickets are sold in limited numbers they must be booked weeks early - easier to just buy a ticket once in Paris and get to Amboise in about 15 minutes longer.

For lots of great stuff on French trains check www.set61.com - great site for discounted fare info; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteeves.com.

If going to Mont Saint Mihcel book a TGV ticket ASAP as you can save tons of money over walking up.
Jul 11th, 2015, 07:18 AM

I did the Loire valley without a car, but I stayed in Tours. I didn't want to see tons of chateaux, though, a few were enough for me but I did see Chenonceau, Amboise, Blois and Azay-le-Rideau by train/bus. I think Chambord is possible, also.

Do not stay at Mont St Michel as a base. It's a tourist site and far away. It's about 300 km from there to Amboise, for example. And on top of that, as if that weren't enough (have you looked at a map?), it isn't that accessible, there is no train station, you have to get there by bus.
Jul 11th, 2015, 09:33 AM

There is a train station near Mont Saint Michel - Pontorson with buses going six miles to the Mont - but if coming from Amboise, Tours or Paris take a train to Rennes, then buses that meet morning trains from Paris to the Mont. No no train station right the Mont but easy to get to by train. But as Christian says it's a long long way from the Loire so either do it separately and go to the Loire or IMO just concentrate on the Loire where things are easy to get to on day trips.

Search this Thread