Ferry travel Naples to Ischia, to Capri to Positano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How feasible is travel by water in that order---IN OCTOBER? The first leg is obvious, but I am not sure how often the boats run that late in the season for the other legs. Help ! Hoping to see help from GAC or Steve--or anyone.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Come on guys---I seldom ask for help.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Bob, I had enough trouble just trying to get by boat from Ischia to Amalfi in the middle of the summer. My answer finally became to book a day tour from Ischia to Positano and Amalfi (the boat also stopped at Capri). The let me book it for a fraction of the cost and only go one way.

Otherwise, I suspect you'll need to return to Naples or to Sorrento between Ischia and Capri, and also going from Capri to Positano.

But don't quote me.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:47 PM

I've tried to do a little research for you on the net and it seems there's no transport between ischia and capri and you have to turn back to Naples.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you tried e-mailing the various ferry/hydrofoil companies the service Ischia? I don't think you can go to Positano from Ischia without going to Sorrento first. Here is a link and you can click on each company
http://www.ischia.it/portaleischia_u...ggiungere.html
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry, I misread your post. I was thinking you wanted to begin all your trips in Ischia.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Again, I'll repeat (or clarify) that although we could NOT find any published transportation even in summer from Ischia to Positano, or Capri, or Amalfi, there were a lot of excursion boats that go directly to those places. If those boats are running in October, then you can probably pay them a few euro (no more than a boat to Naples or Sorrento would be) and "hitch" a ride one way to either Capri or to Positano. The boat we took, stopped for a few minutes in Capri, then went on to Positano. Some people got on in Capri for a full day trip to Positano -- you should be able to do that also, only staying in Positano rather than making a day trip. Again, of course, assuming that they still do excursions in October. I suspect some companies will, just not as many as during the summer.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 01:52 AM

Hi Bob - I think it might depend when in October ...

The best source for all services to/from/via Capri is:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/it/page/transport.html

It currently lists 4 services daily between Ischia and Capri (3 ferries, 1 hydroil) - but I doubt all 4 will still be running in October.
Maybe one or two if you're lucky, weather permitting ...

If you can't get direct from Ischia to Capri, there's a once daily late afternoon Ischia-Sorrento hydrofoil service (dep. 17.20; 50 mins) which I believe runs into October - always weather permitting.

I'm pretty sure Capri-Positano ferry/hydrofoil services run into October. These are afternoon services (- primarily for returning day-trippers from Positano/Amalfi).

Again you can find timetables nearer the time on the capri.net link above.

If you want to contact the Capri Tourist Office for confirmation, their e-mail addresses are:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Grazie to all--those links will help.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:21 AM

A note of caution on this route.

At that time of the year (early autumn), if you're on the islands and you must make a train or plane connection, be sure to allow a couple of extra hours for transit. Sudden thunderstorms can halt ferry service.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:31 AM

We just returned from our trip that included Capri and Positano. There are several ferry/foil companies. We took the ferry from Sorrento to Capri, then from Capri to Positano. The latest ferry from Capri to Positano was at 7:05pm. However, during October, it would be best to check either with your hotel (they may have a schedule) or directly with the ferries. We used Caremar for Sorrento to Capri and a different line for Capri to Positano (I'm sorry, I can't find our tickets right now). I'll post the name if I find it. Good luck!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Bob--I'm sure you already are planning on it, but just in case: It would be wise not to make any plans involving tight schedules when you have that kind of itinerary by boat. I wouldn't even want to plan it for late October under any circumstance, but if you do go any time in October you stand a chance of being delayed, more likely and more lengthy than in summer. Good luck.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:00 AM

I AM ALSO GOING TO ISCHIA IN OCT

DID U FIND OUT IF THERE IS A DIRECT FERRY TO CAPRI FROM ISCHIA

KIND REGARDS
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:07 AM

Nobody - not even the boat operators - will be certain of schedules in October. Trips will depend on the weather and on how many holidaymakers are around. If there's a dearth of tourists, boats will finish their seasons early. I assume you don't want to do all this in one day which would be tricky. If you find there are no suitable direct connections, you'll be able to go via Napoli or Sorrento.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Patrick and others, I don't know where you were looking, but there IS a direct hydrofoil from Ischia to Capri. I've been on it! It's run by alilauro - www.alilauro.it. The website doesn't say it's summer only on this route - and some routes DO say "only between these dates", so it's not just that they don't bother to tell you. There's only one a day in each direction though.