Reload this Page >

Ferry travel - Capri and Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 10:13 AM
pam

In May, on one day, my husband and I will be connecting by train from Spoleto to Rome, Rome to Naples, then Naples to Sorrento before taking a ferry to Capri where we will be staying. Does anyone know how frequently the ferries leave for Capri? We are guessing that we don't need to make a reservation in advance. Correct? <BR><BR>After Capri, we will be ferrying to Positano for a few days. From there, we will be departing by train from Solerno. Originally, we had planned to take the bus from Positano, but have since heard about a ferry from Positano to Solerno. Any recommendations or other suggestions?<BR><BR>Lastly, from everything we have heard or read, we are reluctant to be separated from our luggage when commuting, and for this reason, we have purchased the 22" bags. Can we carry our luggage onto the ferries and buses or do they check them? <BR><BR>Thanks for any and all help!

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 10:35 AM
xxx

Consider catching your ferry in Naples instead of Sorrento. That will be one less connection. Smart to have the smaller luggage, just don't over pack and have too many suitcases! Most of the storage facilities for luggage are safe and secure. Ask questions!!!<BR>Have a great trip&gt;

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Santa Chiara

I am also interesting in minimizing the connection to Amalfi. Is there a ferry that goes directly from Naples to Amalfi. I know the one from Salerno, but despite extensive searches on the internet, I cannot confirm that a ferry actually goes direct from Naples to Amalfi.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Sarabeth

there are plenty of ferries and high speed hydrofoils going to capri from naples..we took one for the day. there were a few people who had luggage on the ferry.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Millie

My husband and I will be in Italy mid May, our plan is to take the train from Rome to Napoli Mergellina instead of Napoli Centrale to take hydrofoil to Capri(heard that this station is only walking distance to the dock). Overnight in Capri, and will take hydrofoil / ferry to Positano for 3 nights. From Positano,we'll ferry to Salerno for train ride to Florence, presumably have to change train in Rome. Any comment to the arrangement?

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Ginny

The suggestion to take the ferry from Naples is a good one as they run approximately every hour on the hour. You do not need to make a reservation. You may carry your baggage yourself unless you have a lot and the porters will put it on the ship for you for a tip of course. Have a great time, Capri is beautiful, it's my favorite.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Andrew

You have several options: <BR>1)The naples newspaper "Il Mattino" has all the hydrofoil (aliscafi) and ferry (traghetto) schedules leaving the area. <BR>There is also an english paper called "Qui Napoli" that has schedules <BR>2) Go to the web site &lt;http://search-arianna.iol.it&gt; where it says "cosa cerchi", type in "orario aliscafi a napoli", and it will direct you to several pages with da info <BR>3)another good website is &lt;www.capri.net&gt;