Search

Ferry to Tangier, Morocco from Cadiz, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry to Tangier, Morocco from Cadiz, Spain

Has anyone everdone this?

We are in Cadiz from 13:00 Sept 26 until 22:00 Sept 27 and thought it might be cool to take the ferry across to Tangier.

Has anyone done this?

Go it alone? Go with a tour? Any major problems getting back and forth? Is Tangier worth a few hours visit or should I shelf this until I have more time?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 09:08 AM

see from your other posting you are doing this with a cruise visit. It maybe risky if the ferry has to stop running for some reason.
This question has been asked many times before. I am sure if you do a search some answers will pop up.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 09:38 AM

If you're on a cruise and this is doable the ship will probably offer it as a option. If they don't - it's probably because they don;t think you can do it in the time allowed.

Separately, Tangier is really not the most attractive part of Morocco.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Ribeirasacra...I tried different words in search engine and nothing came up but then realized that I was habitually spelling Tangier and Ferry wrong,lol...I did see those other posts, thanks.

Nytraveler...thanks for your candor. We're sailing Silversea and they are not offering it as an exursion which made me wonder as well. I emailed the conceirge at Silversea and asked their opinion and waiting a response.

Gotta love this site! Thanks again!
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM

I'm going to give you my stock reply and say do not do this: Tangier is to Morocco what Tijuana is to Mexico. A dump. Not at all representative of that wonderful country. Save Morocco for when you can bypass Tangier and get to the heart of the country and linger for awhile. Taking the ferry to Tangier is definitely not "cool," IMO.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

<Tangier is to Morocco what Tijuana is to Mexico. A dump.>

Enough said...not doing it. Thanks for the insight StCirq. Like you, I would rather do it 'right' or not at all.

Great...now what the hell am I suppose to do in Cadiz for 33 hours,lol.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM

What are you supposed to do in Cadiz for 33 hours!

Well, have you visited Spain before? If not, I'd spend the first day in Cadiz (since you don't arrive until 1pm), then early the following morning take a bus (or train) to Sevilla. It would be a short visit to Sevilla but you'd be able to get a glimpse of this enchanting city. Buses and trains are quite frequent so you shouldn't have a problem making it back to the port in time for departure.

If you're already been to Sevilla, I'd consider daytrips: one of the 3 sherry triangle towns (Sanlucar, Jerez, El Puerto de Santa Maria), or a white village town (Arcos, Vejer, Medina Sidonia).
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry, Cathy...yes,yes, I most certainly will find something to do...sarcasm doesn't read well in text, sorry!

Since I've nixed the idea of Tangier, I have already hammered out a rough agenda for exactly what you suggested: First day is to discover Cadiz and the following morning we are going to explore Arcos de la Frontera. I'm glad it made your list too!

DH and I have little interest in take 2 hour bus rides away from the ship, which is why i struggled with this Tangier thing. We just want to get off the ship, roam around and enjoy the local ambiance, sights and sounds and tastes...and wine! We figure that the inland things can wait for a return trip with a car.

Thanks again, All!