tuscany driving

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 02:39 PM
bob

tuscany driving

I'm a new yorker driving for first time in italy! any hints would be appeciated. will be staying outside of florence and taking day trips

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 06:55 PM
Tom

Bob, Spent a week in Tuscany June 97 with a car and took day trips to hill towns in the area. Found driving to be no problem at all except the hassle of driving into Florence for a day. If I had to do that again I would take the train in from some nearby town. Traffic and parking was horrible in Florence. I think you will find driving the backroads of Tuscany to be outstanding.

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 11:25 AM
kam

Only one caveat to someone who identifies as a New Yorker---if that means an aggressive driver, please know that in Italy you get "respect" on the highway for the type of car you are driving, not for being an aggressive driver. Therefore, in a rental car, you need to get out of the fast lane when a larger more powerful car comes up behind you. Not to do that will put everyone in jeopardy. Driving into Florence is a nightmare, far worse that driving into any of our big cities--not because it's big, but because there's a lot of traffic, no place to park, vespas all around you, and the streets keep changing names. Been there a lot---the above advice is very good. In the countryside it will be quite nice and almost enjoyable. Have fun.

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 12:38 PM
Richard

Bob; Have you ever driven the toll plaza to the Whitestone Bridge on a Friday afternoon? That's what driving in Italian cities (Rome, Naples,Firenze) is like, only 10X worse. Other roads are fine, get used to being passed on the autostrada when you're doing 150K. Relax, enjoy the scenery, and love Italy!

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 01:54 PM
jennifer

Bob, Ditto everything above about driving in Florence. We did find a fairly large parking garage underneath the train station which was rather well located. My husband almost took the life of a vespa driver, watch out they are small but daring!

We traveled most of Tuscany via the A222 it runs north/south from Florence to Rome. Most of the smaller hill towns are just off this road. It is less congested and prettier than the A1, plus it is free.

Have a blast!
Jen

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 08:17 AM
Anna

Hi Bob,
Thinking about renting a car in Florence, just keep in mind that only tha residents of Florence can enter the center by car. It's true, to drive and park there is a nightmare! The best solution would be to choose an hotel - with its own garage - on the outskirts of Florence (Fiesole, Bagno a Ripoli) and from there reach the places you want to visit avoiding the center and the avenues (i viali). Actually Bagno a Ripoli would be very good, as is south of Florence, and there are buses to go to the centre.
Anna