Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ferry to Ireland from Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ferry-to-ireland-from-scotland-733537/)

kathy53 Sep 2nd, 2007 07:22 AM

Ferry to Ireland from Scotland

Has anyone taken a ferry from Scotland to Ireland?
Do you know approx how long it takes? Costs?
Comments on taking the ferry? Tks.

janisj Sep 2nd, 2007 07:25 AM

There is no ferry from Ireland to Scotland.

(there are ferries from Northern Ireland to SW Scotland)

flanneruk Sep 2nd, 2007 07:35 AM

Most ferries go from Belfast or places NW of it to relatively remote ports in SW Scotland. They're really only useful for Scots or Irishpeople wanting to take their car to the other country.

There's now a service from Larne to Troon, which is quite handy for Glasgow. Nonetheless, flying from almost anywhere in Ireland (which has about the highest density of international airports per inhabitant of any country on the planet) to Glasgow, and from the larger cities to Edinburgh or Aberdeen, is a great deal handier and cheaper for most peole.

Ferry details at www.directferries.co.uk. Full list of plane routes at the Irish tourism site (tell it you're British)

sheila Sep 2nd, 2007 11:50 AM

And there was me thinking Northern Ireland was in Ireland. Silly me:)

I've done Stranraer to Larne twice. It takes 2 hours more or less. Can't remember the price. It's useful if you own your car and want to take it. Otherwise, fly.

GeoffHamer Sep 2nd, 2007 12:40 PM

Routes are from Belfast to Stranraer (www.stenaline.co.uk) and from Larne to Cairnryan or Troon (www.poirishsea.com).

Shadow Sep 2nd, 2007 12:45 PM

Yes, I've taken the ferry from Larne, NI to Stranraer...it did take about 2 hours and it was a beautiful and relaxing way to get to Scotland...that is, if you have the time.
Shadow

janisj Sep 2nd, 2007 03:13 PM

I assumed you meant <i>Ireland</i> not NI (since they are different countries) Sort of like asking about ferries from England when one really means Wales . . . .

So if you really did mean <u>Ireland</u> - there are no ferries from Scotland. If you mean NI - then as the others say, yes there are ferries. But w/o knowing the rest of your itinerary it is hard to give you advice.

flanneruk Sep 2nd, 2007 09:32 PM

The sentence &quot; assumed you meant Ireland not NI since they are different countries&quot; is nonsensical, as well as offensive.

Ireland is an island. That island, with its dependent islets, includes all of one country (the Republic of Ireland) and a province (Northern Ireland) of another (the UK)

Both the Republic and the Province are very clear that the term &quot;Ireland&quot; encompasses both: that's why www.tourismireland.com, the official website of the two tourist board is so called and it's why St Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland.

janisj Sep 3rd, 2007 08:01 AM

the reason I made the distinction is from tons of prior threads, it is clear many visitors assume they can get a ferry from Dublin to Scotland and are shocked to learn they have to travel to Belfast.

Of course it is one island. But in practical terms someone touring the Irish republic and thinking they can then just jump on a ferry to Scotland - just not on.

kathy53 Sep 4th, 2007 12:36 PM

To flanneruk:

Thank you for your help. I found the reply from janisj offensive as well.

I am not an idiot and only logged onto this web site because I want to make the most of my trip, not to be talked down to