ferry from sweden to Denmark

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it advisable......any thoughts. any suggestions where to stay in central Denmark (en route to Germany)we're buying a new volvo and picking it up in Goteberg Sweden. thanks!
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Why not take the overnight ship from Göteborg to Kiel, Germany, unless you actually want to go somewhere in Denmark ? Try www.stenaline.com.
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

we are on a bit of a tight schedule. would you recommend this vs driving thru denmark? i've never seen denmark but hear that northern germany is not very appealing. if you were traveling, is this the route you'd go?
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I've driven around up there a couple of times. I would recommend taking the ferry over to Frederikshavn. I think it's about 3 hours. Then drive down the Jutland Penninsula. It is a beautiful idyllic rolling hills area. A stop in Arhus would be worthwhile.
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Given the chance, I would prefer to drive South from Göteberg towards Lund. It's an interesting university town with a beautiful cathedral and outdoor Scandanavian museum. Then continue SOuth to Malmo. Take the big, new, expensive bridge across the SOund to Copenhagen. It's truly a modern marvel.

You could either overnight in Copenhagen (another expensive proposition) or drive a few miles South to the Medieval town of Køge. It has a number of highly regarded Inns (Kr&oslash and B&B's. It's a great base for heading into Copenhagen for the day and/or visiting the Viking Ship Museum and Cathedral in Roskilde. Roskilde Cathedral is the Danish Westminster Abbey with virtually every Danish King and Queen interred there.

Please tell me about your Volvo deal. Is it true that you get the car cheaper by picking it up over there? And they fly you over and give you a night in the hotel as part of the price? How long will it take until the car reaches the States? It seems the drawback for me would be that I'd have to live without a car back home in the time between my flying home and the car getting shipped to me. And does your Volvo dealer in the States handle the financing here through one of our local financial institutions or do you have to go through that tedious process over there? I would love to do this some day in the future.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

i'm saving about $3,500-$4,000 off the list price of the car. Volvo pays for 2 round trip tickets to Goteberg Sweden from your home airport. they offer one night stay free in Goteberg. We then drive the car while in Europe. It takes about 4 weeks for the car to arrive back at home. You can take the car to a number of drop off loacations if you want(for a small charge). We're dropping the car off in Paris. It's a wonderful deal.
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Nyudad - Thanks for the answers. I just might talk to my Volvo dealer this weekend.

And if you are considering using the Big Bridge, here's the website with prices:

http://www.oresundskonsortiet.com/english.php
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:10 PM

To answer your original question...yes, there is very reliable ferry serice from Helsingborg to Helsingor. There's more, here:

http://www.scandlines.dk/DKFront/Front_COM