Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ferry from Scotland to Ireland-Rental Car (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ferry-from-scotland-to-ireland-rental-car-1677513/)

euro18 Feb 9th, 2020 03:13 PM

Ferry from Scotland to Ireland-Rental Car

We will be in Scotland and Ireland with friends for two weeks this summer. We're planning to rent a car to explore everything at our own pace. Does anyone know if we will be able to take a rental car from Scotland into Ireland? Or will we have to rent a separate rental? Also, is Cairnryan the only ferry into Ireland? Or are there other places to take the ferry over? Thanks so much for your input!

janisj Feb 9th, 2020 03:20 PM

There is no ferry at all from Scotland to Ireland. There are ferries from England to Ireland and from Scotland to Northern Ireland. Yes you can take a rental car across - but why would you want to? Unless you are dropping the car back in the UK (including in NI) the drop off fee can be enormous.

euro18 Feb 9th, 2020 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 17061042)
There is no ferry at all from Scotland to Ireland. There are ferries from England to Ireland and from Scotland to Northern Ireland. Yes you can take a rental car across - but why would you want to? Unless you are dropping the car back in the UK (including in NI) the drop off fee can be enormous.

Wow. I'm sorry. Clearly I have offended you. I stand corrected. Scotland to Northern Ireland. I am seeking information and thought I might find a friendly response to help me sort this all out. Maybe some others might help me, or I will continue to try and figure it out on my own.

janisj Feb 9th, 2020 04:48 PM

Okay -- what was 'unfriendly'?? Honest question . . .

I explained there are no ferries from Scotland to Ireland -- which is what you asked about, and which could be a helpful detail.

I explained there are ferries between England and Ireland and between Scotland and Northern Ireland -- another possibly helpful detail

I said that yes, you can take cars on the ferry (you did ask)

And I mentioned that drop off fees into a different country (Ireland) can be enormous.

The only possible 'unfriendly' thing I can imagine is I used bold for the 'no' but that was to call it to your attention. Sorry . . .

So what other info are you looking for?

Macross Feb 9th, 2020 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • Euro18, this one has most sailings and you could pick best time for your journey. I would talk to your rental agency and see what they say about drop off fees. I know we had to drop off our car and then take a shuttle to ferry. You could then rent another in Belfast or wait if you want to just be without a car in Belfast, then get another, depends on where you are staying that first night. It sounds like a good trip.
    • Get price
Belfast to Cairnryan with Stena Line

Bette Feb 10th, 2020 08:34 AM

janisj did answer your question. I was confused by the fact that you tagged "Ireland" on this post in addition to the United Kingdom. Therefore, I assumed you meant Scotland to the Republic of Ireland which, as janisj indicated, does not have a ferry.

Macross Feb 10th, 2020 09:03 AM

Maybe they are leaving UK for Dublin Ireland. I am sure she won't be back.

hetismij2 Feb 10th, 2020 09:44 AM

Janisj there are ferries from Wales to Ireland, not England. Shame on you! ;)

janisj Feb 10th, 2020 10:03 AM

Hetismij: "Janisj there are ferries from Wales to Ireland, not England. Shame on you! https://www.fodors.com/community/ima...orted/wink.gif "

​​​​​​​oops -- I knew that :ok: . . .

Bette: Actually the thread was originally tagged only for Ireland. I asked the moderators to add the UK tag.

Odin Feb 10th, 2020 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by euro18 (Post 17061038)
Does anyone know if we will be able to take a rental car from Scotland into Ireland? Or will we have to rent a separate rental?

Assuming you mean Northern Ireland, I’d advise you to check with the rental company. For some, it’s no problem, others might not allow it.

Bette Feb 10th, 2020 12:28 PM

Isn't there a ferry run between Liverpool & Dublin? (which has nothing to do with the OP's question about getting from Scotland via ferry).

Back to the OP - if you are starting your Irish adventure in Belfast, NI, I would wait to pick up a car until you were heading out of Belfast (assuming you are seeing a few sights in Belfast). A car in the city can be a negative.

euro18 Feb 15th, 2020 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 17061081)
Okay -- what was 'unfriendly'?? Honest question . . .

I explained there are no ferries from Scotland to Ireland -- which is what you asked about, and which could be a helpful detail.

I explained there are ferries between England and Ireland and between Scotland and Northern Ireland -- another possibly helpful detail

I said that yes, you can take cars on the ferry (you did ask)

And I mentioned that drop off fees into a different country (Ireland) can be enormous.

The only possible 'unfriendly' thing I can imagine is I used bold for the 'no' but that was to call it to your attention. Sorry . . .

So what other info are you looking for?

I apologize that I did not say Northern Ireland. That is completely my error. I made a mistake and I understand that. I genuinely did not understand how important the distinction is, and now I do. But instead of taking the opportunity to educate me, and tell me that specifying Northern Ireland is a very important distinction, your response worked to make me feel embarrassed or dumb. And as far as the expense goes, it really isn't anyones concern how much we might spend on this. The question wasn't how expensive would it be? The question was are we able to do this?

Macross Feb 15th, 2020 03:02 PM

Euro18, bravo for coming back and not letting people run you off. No apology needed. I totally understood what you were saying. I thought for sure we lost another poster which we don't need as this place has so few. Trip advisor is helpful sometimes but find the Rick Steves people very helpful. Good luck planning. I heard a women from Ireland say she hoped it wouldn't be a United Ireland but a New Ireland and that is my hope.

euro18 Feb 15th, 2020 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Macross (Post 17064354)
Euro18, bravo for coming back and not letting people run you off. No apology needed. I totally understood what you were saying. I thought for sure we lost another poster which we don't need as this place has so few. Trip advisor is helpful sometimes but find the Rick Steves people very helpful. Good luck planning. I heard a women from Ireland say she hoped it wouldn't be a United Ireland but a New Ireland and that is my hope.

Thank you so much. I really do appreciate it.

euro18 Feb 15th, 2020 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 17061510)
Assuming you mean Northern Ireland, I’d advise you to check with the rental company. For some, it’s no problem, others might not allow it.

thank you!

euro18 Feb 15th, 2020 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macross (Post 17061129)
  • Euro18, this one has most sailings and you could pick best time for your journey. I would talk to your rental agency and see what they say about drop off fees. I know we had to drop off our car and then take a shuttle to ferry. You could then rent another in Belfast or wait if you want to just be without a car in Belfast, then get another, depends on where you are staying that first night. It sounds like a good trip.
    • Get price
Belfast to Cairnryan with Stena Line

Thank you!

Macross Feb 18th, 2020 04:22 AM

I do love the ferry.

Flying is ok but it is the adventurer for us now. My husband is so wanting to go on the Eurostar from London to Paris next trip so we are. I am giving him his chunnel tunnel experience. Did you figure out what you are going to do?

euro18 Feb 18th, 2020 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Macross (Post 17065562)
I do love the ferry.

Flying is ok but it is the adventurer for us now. My husband is so wanting to go on the Eurostar from London to Paris next trip so we are. I am giving him his chunnel tunnel experience. Did you figure out what you are going to do?

Still working on it. Getting conflicting information about whether or not we are able to leave the car in Dublin. If we can't we'll drop the car in Glasgow, take a flight to Belfast and pick up a new car. It's not our preference, but if it's what we need to do, we'll do it,

I did the Eurostar London to Paris in May of 2018. Amazing! We really loved it :)

Macross Feb 18th, 2020 03:56 PM

That would not be bad. Very quick flight. I am secretly looking forward to the eurostar.

euro18 Feb 18th, 2020 06:24 PM

So for anyone following, we have finally sorted things out. We are NOT able to take a car from Scotland into Northern Ireland or Ireland, no matter what fees we might be willing to pay! haha! So we will drop the car in Glasgow, hop a quick flight into Dublin, rent a new car and set out exploring from there. :)