ferry from Salerno to Positano

Mar 9th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

ferry from Salerno to Positano

I purchased Frecciarossa from Florence to Salerno end of June . My intention was to take the ferry from Salerno to Positano. Checking the ferry schedule that i can find at the moment, looks like the last ferry from Salerno is leaving at 1530. The problem is my train won't arrive into Salerno until 1550 . Does anyone knows if there is a later ferry added during high summer season? My other option is to get off at Napoli Centrale and get a private driver to pick us up there to go to Positano. It's our first time in Amalfi Coast, from what i've been reading ,the Circumvesuviana train can be crowded and standing room only,ditto Sita Bus from Sorrento to Positano. Thanks in advance.
Mar 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM

If one is not added (http://www.travelmar.it/en/), you could still arrange your private transport from Salerno. No need to change your train ticket, and Salerno is closer I believe.
There is the bus from Salerno as well, but after a day in transit, I would not want to get on the bus, which could be crowded if others have the same idea (plus you would then have to change at Amalfi).
Mar 9th, 2016, 01:49 PM

You have several options. Focus on what you have to pay from now on. If you consider what you have spent already, you fell for the "sunk cost bias."

- Throw away (presumably non-changeable) current train tickets and use an earlier train to catch the boat. I am presuming you are looking at €12 Napels Bay ferry Salerno-Positano.
- Ride Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento then SITA bus or taxi. It is not that crowded that you cannot sit. The seat turnover rate is pretty high on this line and you can find a place to sit eventually -- if you act like the locals. You cannot get a seat if you are pusillanimous. Grab a seat with confidence without hesitation. One who gets there first gets the seat. You can decide SITA/taxi at the last minutes. See if you want to take the next SITA bus from Sorrento. Ask the taxi waiting at the Sorrento station how much it costs. Select bus or a taxi.
- Keep the current train ticket and use taxi/transfer from Napoli or Salerno.
- Keep the current train ticket, SITA bus from Salerno.

Salerno-Amalfi:
http://www.sitabus.it/wp-content/upl...al15092014.pdf
If not Sunday or Holiday 16:30-17:45
If Sunday or Holiday 17:30-18:45

Amalfi-Sorrento:
http://www.sitabus.it/wp-content/upl...al07062015.pdf
Daily 18:00-18:50
If not Sunday or Holiday 19:00-19:50, 20:00-20:50
If Sunday or Holiday 21:00-21:50 Zzzz.... (The last bus)

Except for the cheap Circumvesuviana/Salerno + SITA bus route, marginal cost (the cost from now on) of all other options are not that different. The taxi from Salerno would probably take the faster inland highway route if you don't specify. The coast route would be very very slow.