Ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik

I am planning a trip to Croatia for this September.

My initial plan was to rent a car and just leave it parked in Split while we went to Hvar. However, reading posts on here and doing some other research has lead me to belive it might be good to return the rental car at the Split airport and take a Ferry to Hvar. It appears I can then take a ferry to Dubrovnik, but that's the part I can't confirm. Can this be done? Is this a good idea?

I am traveling with my mother. I am fine with the driving, she tends to get nervous. That said, she doesn't like buses, but I figured I could convince her a ferry was "fun"

Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Jadrolinija's Rijeka-Split-Dubrovnik coastal service calls at Stari Grad on Hvar island. There are connecting buses (and taxis, of course) from Hvar town to Stari Grad ferry terminal.
Schedules are on www.jadrolinija.hr.
Another option would be to get a ferry or the KRILO (www.krilo.hr) to Korcula and stop a night there before going on to Dubrovnik.
Otherwise, there are more frequent services from Hvar or Stari Grad to Split. The bus station in Split is on the quayside and buses down to Dubrovnik leave about every hour.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I may just force her on the bus. (Luggage is my concern, she thinks she packs light. That's because she travels with her personal porter.... ME! However, the porter cannot lift her luggage into a bus overhead (nor would it stay there)
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Hi Carol!

I took the ferry from Hvar (Stari Grad) to Dubrovnik last September. It was on a Saturday and I recall the ferry left Stari Grad about 8:30am (give or take a few minutes).

It was a 7 hour ride though, so you may want to take that into consideration. We arrived in Dubrovnik around 4pm. There was a stop in Korcula for about 15 or 20 minutes to let passengers off and on. There is not much to do on the ferry, except view the gorgeous scenery. I had a book with me, so I didn't mind, but my friend got a bit "antsy"...we ate on the ferry, but I would recommend bringing a picnic lunch you've purchased at a grocery store...much less expensive that way. We just grabbed sandwiches at the bar, but there was a restaurant on board too.

We took the bus from Hvar Town bus station to the Stari Grad port in Hvar. I will advise you if you decided to take the bus to the port, get to the bus station early to get a seat on the bus. The bus was packed with passengers, it was standing room only and the luggage that did not fit under the bus was piled up in the back bus doorway area. The friend I was traveling with didn't want to get to the bus station early, but I am always an early bird and we arrived there about 30 minutes before the bus left and she was very thankful that I insisted we get there early since we got seats and lots of others didn't. It's about a 20 minute bus ride from Hvar Town to Stari Grad.

Enjoy your trip...September is a great time of year in Croatia...well, at least last September was!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM

If you use a long-distance bus in Croatia, luggage goes in a compartment under the floor. There is a small extra charge for this. The driver gives you a numbered ticket and a label is attached to the case or bag.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Sounds like I have a couple of options besides the drive.

Now to find a place to stay in all these places.