Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ferry-from-helsinki-to-tallinn-314036/)

JimSteel May 6th, 2003 04:26 AM

Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

Has anyone done this? Traveling to Tallinn from Helsinki on the 28th May and I am looking for others experiences, I take it that this is very straight forward and the locals do it all the time. Any idea of cost and the best operator?
Many thanks
Jim

GeoffHamer May 6th, 2003 06:28 AM

Try www.tallink.ee, www.njl.fi, www.eckeroline.fi, www.lindaline.fi and www.silja.com. Choice of operator will depend mainly on convenience of schedule, and on whether you just want to sit in a seat on a fast craft or enjoy the facilities (bars, restaurants, etc) of a ship.

Kavey May 6th, 2003 08:24 AM

Yes we took a boat across from Helsinki to Tallinn in September 2002.

We opted for the faster catamaran boat from Lansi Terminali (1 hour crossing time) rather than the slow ferries, which I understand take about 3.5 hours.

I didn't make a note of the cost but I recall it being 30 Euros - I can't remember now whether that was each or in total for the two of us. We bought single tickets on arrival rather than in advance, as we flew home from Tallinn.

When you get in to Tallinn harbour do watch out for the cost of a taxi. Even knowing that this was a risk, we were still ripped off. We did ask for the meter to be used, but perhaps the driver set it on a night rate, or an out of city rate or something.

We were charged 144 kroon for the taxi ride from the harbour to our hotel in Tallinn old town (Domina City hotel, not far from the main square) but learned later from the hotel staff that the cost should have been about 50 kroon for the short journey.

If you think your driver has cheated you, tell him you need to go in and get cash from the reception to pay him and ask for their advice. If it's an obvious cheat perhaps they can assist.

JimSteel May 7th, 2003 02:33 AM

Many thanks both of you!

Jim

Kavey May 7th, 2003 05:33 AM

Jim,
I have some restaurant recommendations and bits and pieces about Tallinn from our 4 night trip in September.
If you're interested do please email me.
Kavey

Kay2 Jun 20th, 2004 01:01 PM

Anyone make this trip? I'll be in Helsinki again this Aug/Sept and I'm looking for some day or overnight trips when I get a break from work. Who traveled independently? Who took the tour from Helsinki? Daytrip enough? Stay longer?

elina Jun 21st, 2004 12:49 AM

Kay, there are almost 40 crossings every day, it is one of the busiest sea lines in the world. Check the web sites GeoffHamer gave, and you will get timetables, prices, offers and hotel packages. It is usually cheaper to book a hotel through the ferry company.

I don't even know if there are tours to Tallinn. Tallinn is the nearest town to Helsinki, it is nearer than any Finnish big town, so people go there just to get their hair done or a manicure or theatre or a cake for a party or to dine. They just sort of "drop in".

I usually take NordicJetLine or Tallink's SuperSeaCat.

elina Jun 22nd, 2004 03:22 AM

A mistake: SuperSeaCat is not Tallink's, it is Silja's. Tallink's fast catamaran is AutoExpress.

JimSteel Jun 22nd, 2004 04:19 AM

This is not a problem. I just got a taxi from the airport to the fast cat terminal and bought a ticket, no booking needed. Old Tallin is small so easy done in a day, but you will miss the great Resturants, for a meat eater it was fantastic! Pig's ears over a large pint of beer was great. So I suggest you stay over night, and dont forget to by the Vodka and Cuba cigars they were about 90% cheaper than in the UK where I come from. On the whole a great trip, just try to avoid the weekends when British stag parties desend on the town!

yeadonite Jun 22nd, 2004 11:22 PM

If you take the Tallink fery you leave from a remote terminal in Helsinki, I think the others leave from the center of town. It is quick and easy I did it yesterday from Tallinn to Helsinki it was about 50 US roundtrip. Get money at an ATM in Tallinn not the money exchange.