Ferry from Greece to Italy

Old Jul 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry from Greece to Italy

Hi Ladies/Gentlemen,

I've been reading a lot of the questions and even though they are similar to mine, I haven't yet found exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm planning an anniversary trip in September to Greece for 10 days,and 4 days in Florence, Italy. Before anyone freaks out, let me tell you that I've already done an Italy tour for a month and seen cities at a week at a time so the reason the Italy part is so short is because I've already been to Florence closer to 2 weeks and LOVED it so much, that I can't go all the way to Greece without having a few days in Florence!

My question is:

We arrive in Athens and I thought to spend a day or 2 there. We're mainly going for the beaches, sun and romantic sunrise at Santorini, etc.

Then I was hoping to see Crete, Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes. But I hear 10 days isn't enough for all the islands. For some reason I really have my heart set on Crete and Santorini. What do you think?

From Athens, should we go to Santorino first or Crete? Keep in mind we want to take a ferry over to Italy. Which port is the closest in Greece to our destinations that goes to Italy?

Also for Florence, is Ancona port better or Venice? Which is closer and cheaper to get to Florence? Is it one train ride away?

Thank you so much in advance. I really do need some help to get organized!

I really appreciate it

Lana
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM

It doesn't matter which island you visit first, there is no way to get to Italy from either of them by ferry without first returning to the Greek mainland. I suppose if your timing is good you might be able to get a ferry from Falassarna in far Western Crete to the southern Greece mainland but from there it will take a lot of time to reach Patras or Igoumenitsa where you can catch a ferry over to Italy. So the most practical way to get back to Italy after the islands is to return to Athens and take a bus to Patras or Igoumenitsa for the ferry. Most of the ferries that make this trip offer a bus transfer from either the ferry port in Piraeus or from Central Athens, or from both.

http://www.greekferries.gr
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:12 AM

I hope you realise how long the ferry takes from Greece to Ancona or Venice. You will have to travel overland from Athens to Patras or Igoumenitsa (the Greek ports for most ferries to Italy). According to Greek Island Hopping the ferry from Igoumenitsa to Ancona takes 28 hours, and the ferry from Patras to Venice 36 hours. Fares are likely to be more than for a 2½ flight from Athens to Italy.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Italy and Greece are not really close---fly from Athens to Florence if you must.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM

It can be cheaper anyway to fly from Athens to Rome, if you get a good rate with Aegean, Olympic or Easyjet
Taking the ferry means that you will have to pay for the ticket, expenses for lunch etc during the long trip plus the train from probably Ancona to Florence.
If you count all together, a flight one way might be cheaper.
Oh and flying back from Rome or Florence would be a logical consequence.... ( as it makes no sense time and costwise to return to Greece)
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much guys!

I looked into flights n it costs about 250 for both of us, whereas, ferry will beb180 for both! We do have a tight budget so i thought ferry would be more affordable.

I realize the ferry leaves overnight n gets us to Ancona the next day which is fine. How long will it take from Crete to Patras or igoumenitsa?

How long is the train ride from Ancona to Florence?
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 12:39 PM

From Ancona to Florence it takes 3 - 3,5 hours depending on train, ticket 2 class is around 55 Euro per person.
Rome to Florence is 1,5 hour and ticket is around 45 euro per person.
A slower train ( 3 hrs) would cost 30 Euro
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 01:28 PM

From Crete to Patras takes a week---fly !
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>ferry will beb180 for both!
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 01:58 PM

You should check on flights between Greece and Florence, but also Pisa, Bologna, and Rome since those cities are just 60-90 minutes from Florence by train. You might get good ideas from whichbudget.com.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I just found a great deal from Chania(Crete) to Milan (italy). Should I book it, instead of going from Crete to Athens, Athens to Partas then Ferry over to Ancona?
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 04:50 PM

From the center of Milan, you can be in Florence in two hours by train. Sounds like a good option.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Perfect problem solved. Thanks everyone.