Feria San Pedro Alcantara ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me more about this town & the October feria?

After doing some research on this appears to be one of the last ferias in Andalucia (October) when we plan to travel 09.

There is not too much of info re feria & re hotels etc.

And would you recommend staying there?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM

Hi amsdon,
Can't tell you about the Feria on Oct. 19-hope josele can-but I do know San Pedro de Alcántara.

I rented a condo in neighboring Puerto Banús-Nueva Andalucía and went to San Pedro to do the shopping. The resort area to the west of Marbella all the way to Estepona has become very, very heavily developed now, lots of new hotels, golf courses, condo developments, high rises-
I'm not sure you and your group would love it--Pedraza it's not!!O

I'm assuming the flamenco performances would take place late in the evening, so it wouldn't be wise for you to stay way up in the hills and have to drive back up in the wee morning hrs.

The town I enjoyed most in the vicinity was Benahavís.
www.benahavis.net

It's above the madding crowd of the coast-not too far a drive. Very cute, as I recall. But it's become a haven too for expats, like Nerja.

There's a Taberna del Alabardero up there, now called Alabardero Resort (3 miles outside of town) that keeps its prices lower than the luxury ocean view resorts down on the coast and a Moorish style little boutique hotel Amanhavis (read the Trip Advisor reviews). For a large group, there are quintas to rent and townhomes.

www.alabarderoresort.com
www.amanhavis.com

To the west of San Pedro you have Estepona, also filled with urbanizaciones and golf resorts. But there's a boutique property, the Albero Lodge, that's nice and not way overpriced. It's also represented by Inns of Spain (read the reviews), Secret Places and Tablet hotels and featured in Sawday's "Special Places to Stay/Spain".

Hope this helps a tiny bit!

www.alberolodge.com
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel I am on a lunch break but will look them all over tonight.

To tell you the truth the only reason I asked was that of the feria. I have necver been to ANY excpet to see a short part of ther Mijas feria. There was quite a fun crown them amd also t of Sevillanas dancing which would be fun.

I must say that I am not interested in seeing a bunch of drunken 20 somethings if it's really mostly that...

We'll have to see.

You are the best.

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM

Hi amsdon,
Did some digging and just found the official schedule of the Feria from 07 so you can see exactly what goes on and when-
http://tinyurl.com/4dtwt6
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Maribel having fun looking this over..

Looks really nice and some of the hotel packages with dinner are a good deal, no?

On the first link Albardero Resort under packages they have won my heart with the "doggie canine education package" lol

http://www.alabarderoresort.com/paqu...ion_Canina.htm

Too bad I can't take the babies (Paloma Great Pyr 130#, Canela St Bernard 110# & Jimmy 12#
thank you, their new Tia Maribel, for the link!)
((&amp)
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM

Hi amsdon,
Doggie lovers have got to love a hotel that offers a package like that! You know I love St. Bernards-we drove all the way down to the Hotel del Oso in Cosgaya just to visit their adorable puppy (well, ok, also to eat extremely well, an extra bonus!)

Hi to Paloma, Canela and Jimmy!

The Alabardero Resort is not a far drive from Ronda-super easy day trip. Speaking of the Serranía de Ronda (which I love)-the drive from Ronda back down to the coast on the A 369-A 377 through tiny Benalauría, Benarrabá and Gaucín is just spectacular!

This area would certainly make a nice October holiday. Hmmm, maybe for us too!

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes! Terrific!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Maribel I know you are working on your Granada guide.
Is there a "Complete Andalucia guide" or white villages guide in the horizon?.

Sorry but we are just a hungry and greedy bunch here
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Maribel you said " Speaking of the Serranía de Ronda (which I love)-the drive from Ronda back down to the coast on the A 369-A 377 through tiny Benalauría, Benarrabá and Gaucín is just spectacular!"

Would you recommend a stay in any of these?

I found this in Gaucin, any knowledge of this hotel?
http://www.lafructuosa.com/index_en.html
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Hi amsdon,
Yes, I do know it and a few other properties there. Gaucín is a very picturesque town, certainly worth an overnight.

Read the review from i-escape.com

http://tinyurl.com/3geu28

And i-escape.com also reviews 4 other properties in Gaucín.

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Maribel..
As always you are so helpful.

It looks good, no?
Especially if it is on a day the Kitchen is open for dinner.

I wonder how you feel a night there would compare to a night in one of the other places you mentioned, for instance the Amanhavis in Benhavis?

Is one recommended over the other for a night (Ronda Parador is already decided too by the way this os one more night or two.) We want to stay reasonably close to Malaga.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Hi amsdon,
We actually had a Serranía de Ronda and Vejer de la Frontera (Costa de la Luz) + sherry triangle trip planned not long ago but had to switch it to the Rioja/Navarra.
This trip still remains on the back burner ready to come to the front at any time, as soon as we can squeeze it in!

For our own trip, I'll choose one of the properties in Gaucín over the Amanhavís because...

I prefer their look and their VIEWS. The Amanhavís looks and feels to me more like a Marrakech riad. Also Gaucín is a bit further from the coast, although it too does have a large expat community.

We missed lunch at La Fructuosa last time, but the aromas from the kitchen smelled wonderful when we stopped in to see it. That's before we got our compact car very stuck in one of Gaucín's teeny tiny one way streets!

I can't decide between the Doña Concha and the Almagra rooms at La Fructuosa. The free Wi-Fi is always a deal maker for us, because we need to work while on these trips-they're a busman's holiday for us.

We'll make Benahavís a day trip. I mentioned it for you so that you wouldn't be too far away to "commute" to the Feria in San Pedro de Alcántara. You could also commute from the Albero Lodge-but this whole area of the coast is just hugely developed now. We like to "head to the hills" to avoid the construction cranes-some of which may be frozen now due to the financial crisis!

In the Gaucín area we also had the following on our list to consider:

Cortijo El Puerto del Negro
(i-escape.com)

El Nobo
(www.elnobo.co.uk)

La Herradura (self-catering belonging to El Nobo)

Casablanca
(www.casablanca-gaucin.com)
But they're marketing it as a whole house rental now.

Hacienda La Herriza
(www.laherriza.com)
member of Rusticae

And in Benarrabá:

Banu Rabbah
(www.hbenarraba.es)

Just a few more for you to look at for fun.
I also have a wish list for Vejer, if you're interested.

p.s.
Albero Lodge and Amanhavís are also represented by Secret Places.

Have fun planning!
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Maribel you HAVE read my mind.
Initially got my attention: looking at the photos at La Fructosa and the feeling of those views you mention 2. the comments re the restaurant and the intimacy of it (even if only open two days) and 3. The concern about surrounding areas closer to the beach being more touristy.

If things develop as we think they will we will be spending plenty of time in very touristy and busy areas believe me, and we would like a change from that.
I still need to get to Zamora some day (Cerezal de Aliste and Carbajales where my mom's parents are from), and eventually also Asturias. Perhaps Semana Santa in Zamora in the following years. But that will have to be a trip with DH only, not the little entourage we have planned for October.

I sure hope it pans out anyway.

I will have fun looking over your links. As always I appreciate all your effort, thank you so much.

ana maria
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Well the Feria sounded good in theory but really Alcantara does not look very exciting, feria or no feria.

In view of the fact that we will likely be in Costa del Sol/Torremolinos with friends, we likely will follow to one or more of the white villages to get more of "real" Spain.

Gaucin looks good especially La Fructosa. Too bad it will not be during the festival del cante.

So should we go from Torremolinos to Ronda/to Gaucin back to Malaga
since the airport departure is there. Or Torremolinos Gaucin up then Ronda to Malaga?

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Hi ana maría,
To me it would make more sense to go from Torremolinos/Costa del Sol to Ronda (the furthermost point north) then down to Gaucín then to Málaga for your airport departure. That's how I would do it anyway. And if you have an early morning departure from Málaga, I'd stay close by the airport-maybe at the Parador de Golf.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

That sounds good.

Why the Golf instead of the other Malaga parador?

Thanks Maribel.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:56 PM

Hi ana maría,
The other Parador, Gibralfaro, would be fine too-I was just thinking that if you had a really early morning flight, the Parador de Golf is closer to the airport.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Maribel.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 01:38 PM

saving for later