Female Traveling to Paris Alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love to travel and despite being only 29, I've had the opportunity to visit some wonderful places all over the world. One of the best and most special parts for me is being able to share the memories with a friend or family member. All of my trips have been with taken with someone - mostly my mother, father, and brother, all of whom are avid world travelers as well. Recently, when trying to plan my next big adventure, I realized that many of my friends are not able to travel with me, whether it's because of work schedules, money, or family obligations. And although my family is always up for a vacation, they cannot accompany me this year. So I finally decided to travel ALONE. Just me. I thought to myself "what's stopping me?" I am single, healthy, independent, and I can't think of one reason NOT to go. I've chosen Paris as my first solo destination I'm thinking to go towards the end of January. I'd like to stay in a very safe neighborhood, one where I will not be uncomfortable walking alone in the early evening hours. Close proximity to metro is a must. Can anyone provide helpful tips or suggestions for me? Areas or things to avoid, great cafes to visit, etc.? I appreciate any feedback!
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 09:41 PM

I see you are new here - welcome. You will see a search the forums box towards the top of this page. Put in the words solo and Paris and click on search and you will find many threads about just this subject. Start there and then post new questions as you have them.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 10:54 PM

Here is one to get you started http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...l-to-paris.cfm
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 11:05 PM

Hi,, congrats, Paris is a great first solo woman choice, I love my solo visits there !
I have stayed at these hotels solo and loved both the central locations, the prices, and the staff were polite and helpful. Rooms are small as is normal for Paris and prices are budget to moderate.
Areas are VERY safe and central.

Hotel Eugenie, this one is great, nothing fancy, but you are literally steps from the river, Notre Dame, the RER station St Michel that will bring you in from airport, and metros stations. Stores, cafes, ATM all within yards of front door. .
Hotel Place du Louvre, I loved this one too, ask for the Klee room ,, its decent size and I liked the walk in shower. Their is NO view from this room , but there are more expensive view rooms available.Some of the rooms are what they call "duplex"rooms, meaning two levels, I had one of those once and I didn't like it as bathroom was on upper level and bed on lower, so stick to the club rooms( they have one for last week in Jan for 133 euros per night! ) READ booking conditions carefully they have restricted Pont Neuf and right beside Louvre but facing a church on a quiet side street.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 11:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
It's at this point in planning that guide books are very useful. Go to the library and get several. Pay no attention to specifics like prices as they'll likely out of date but use them to get a better feel for the place. If you want one to take along I recommend the Knopf guides, fit in your pocket with foldout maps, very handy.

And do as Cynthia says, look for previous answers to your question which is too general at the moment to generate any really useful responses. Also, after you've decided where to stay, and if you mean next month get on it, the only decision you need to make now, play the rest as you go. Everything makes more sense after you're there.

One more general suggestion, just ask the question. Too much to read means fewer people will do it.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 02:29 AM

I'm going to disagree with Mrs. Lost above regarding getting several guidebooks. I'd suggest decide what you want to be near (your style of bars/nightlife, a particular sight or museum) and then book a hotel as near as possible to that within your budget.

Nothing in Paris is a million miles away, and as you say, as long as you're near a metro you can always get there.

I'd suggest Bastille as a good area to stay. It's lively, young and safe and has some excellent bars and restaurants. Also, if your French skills aren't brilliant, or if you want a break from speaking it, there are lots of english-speakers in this area.

Many people like to plan their travels to within an inch of their lives, but I always think that one of the benefits of being young and single is you don't need to plan or think about anyone else. You just do what you want to do, when you want to do it.

If you let us know what you want to see/do I'm sure we can come up with some recommendations...
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 05:04 AM

You say you've traveled all over the world but your questions sound like you've never left your home town; you seem very nervous about this trip.

<< I'd like to stay in a very safe neighborhood, one where I will not be uncomfortable walking alone in the early evening hours. >>

In the early evening hours you will find people going home from work and going to dinner. There will be lots of street activity. Arrondissements 1 through 8 is where most tourist stay and will be safe although the arrondissements farther from the river are full of tourists and are also safe. No one can judge your comfort level.

<< Close proximity to metro is a must >>

The metro is around every corner (practically). You should do some reading about Paris before your trip.

<< Can anyone provide helpful tips or suggestions for me? >>

What would be helpful for you? You're a world traveler so would not need the same level of help as someone who has never traveled before. Please be specific.

<< great cafes to visit >>

Paris is chock full of cafes. Guide books will identify the famous ones. Otherwise it's not practical to name every good cafe in Paris since you won't be traveling across the city to go to a specific cafe when there will be tons of cafes near your hotel. Figure out where you'll be staying and then post the location so specifics may be addressed.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 06:24 AM

Jay, my suggestion of guidebooks was to help her determine exactly what you say she should decide, what she wants to be near. Books, are, I believe, still a useful tool for gleaning information.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Indeed they are Madame, and I agree wholeheartedly with the importance of books, I just don't think that several are necessary at any stage of trip planning.

I've personally found that one from either end of the spectrum (say a wallpaper* and a Dorling Kindersley) are more than ample to give an idea (both totally mainstream and a little 'underground') of what's available in a city, as I usually have a fair idea of why I want to go somewhere before I buy the plane tickets.

After that, internet research brings out any remaining hidden gems I have to see. I then arrive, wander around semi-aimlessly, forget what I 'had' to see, discover something else that wasn't mentioned in any guidebooks or sites on the internet, have a throughly enjoyable time and vow to come back to revisit that amazing vegan barbecue restaurant that's inside a disused coat hanger factory (or similar).

For me, the joy of travel is in the exploration rather than in going to the same restaurant as all those lovely people recommended, so when I get there, it's full of people from my home town clutching a copy of the same guidebook...

As always, different strokes for different folks.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM

I'm 32 and did a semi-solo trip to Paris in March (my brother was working there, so we would meet for dinner, but the days were all on my own). There was nowhere I felt unsafe - use common sense and you'll be fine anywhere in the tourist areas. I think Paris is a good city to do your first solo trip.

I stayed in the Latin Quarter and enjoyed it, but really anywhere you're fairly close to the Seine will be fine. The Latin Quarter had lots of people out fairly late, which made me feel safer. The first thing to do is to figure out your nightly hotel budget, and people can make specific suggestions from there. I also found these two threads extremely helpful when deciding on a hotel:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

The "left" and "right" bank refer to the south and north banks of the Seine, respectively.

One thing that was very helpful to me was walking tours - it's a great way to see the city *and* get some built-in social interaction when you're traveling alone. I took one with Oui Paris tours (http://www.ouiparistours.com/ - that one ended up being a private tour on that particular day!) and two with Paris Walks (http://www.paris-walks.com/ ). I'd recommend them all.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Virtually all of central Paris will be safe to walk in early evening hours. And I think you do need to choose your hotel for proximity to a metro, you can't be guaranteed that every hotel is going to have a nearby metro stop, some are much farther away than others. I always look at that myself, not just for safety but sheer convenience. I won't pick a hotel more than 3 blocks from a metro stop and I prefer closer. For instance there are parts of the 15th arr. rather far from a metro stop, and if you were at the NW corner of Luxembourg Gardens, that isn't as close as I would like to a metro stop, or say some hotel next to the Jarden des Plantes.

Now you might not pick those locations, but you just need to get a good map when planning your hotel, that's all, so you can see how far a location is from things you want and a metro stop.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM

Jay (sigh), is it then the word "several" you object to? How about a stack and just look at the pictures? What does it cost to pull them off the shelf in the library?

I'm currently in Malta on a 4 month trip around the world, just got off a container ship from Singapore. not a guidebook in sight. But there were a few that were useful to me before I left home and home is where they are. This to suggest there are others of us with experience who consult a source but don't tattoo the contents on our palms, can look at a book without mistaking it for an oracle. It's just information, some good some not, just like the internet, yes, as always.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM

MmeP - I agree with you. I always get several guides from the library when researching a trip. Each brand offers something different and some guides are better for certain locations than others. I think more people should consult guide books before posting vague questions here.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Adrienne, amen.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the feedback and apologize if some of the respondents think my post was vague or if I posted this in the wrong spot. I have never participated in a forum for my travel needs or questions. There is no need to be unkind when responding, Adrienne. Thank you to those who took the time to post suggestions.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 03:52 PM
kja

I've been to Paris twice as a solo female and find it one of the easiest places to do so. I far prefer traveling alone to traveling with others - I find it a wonderful self-indulgence to be able to do what I want, when I want.

You might find this collection of solo trip reports helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...collection.cfm

Enjoy!
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 04:42 PM

<< There is no need to be unkind when responding, Adrienne >>

And I thought I was being helpful. I'm so sorry I spent any time on your questions and pointing out where you needed to give more information. There was no need for you to single me out and be unkind to me.

I should have given you some old links to threads and told you to use the search box or get a good map as others did and you would have been happy with those answers. Or maybe I should have just disagreed with previous posters; it appears you find that to be helpful. You also seem to appreciate the comment about coming back with specific questions and not to write so much in your post.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Who was unkind??? Weird. Nothing Adrienne posted was unkind - direct perhaps but not rude at all. If you are going to travel solo you'll have to toughen up just a bit.

There is practically no area in central Paris where I feel unsafe. The walking back to the hotel 'early in the evening' is semi-irrelevant. You'll (hopefully) be eating out later, taking late night Seine cruises, walking around the Eiffel Tower to see it lit up, or at the Louvre late on Wed or Fri nights. You'll (again hopefully) walk along the river late in the evening. You'll be out late with thousands of others - totally safe. Just basic/normal precautions.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Paris is a great place to be a female traveling solo. I've never felt unsafe at any time of the day or night. I always stay in the 6th arrondisement, just off Blvd. St. Germain, although I rent an apartment rather than stay in a hotel. I think that if I stayed in a hotel, it might be at Hotel Clement because of its location and proximity to 2 Metro lines and the wonderful pastry shop, Gerard Mulot.
http://www.hotelclementparis.com/
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 12:56 AM

<<If you are going to travel solo you'll have to toughen up just a bit. >>

Actually, I've found that participating in the Europe forum requires a tougher skin than traveling solo to any country in the world

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -