Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Female traveling solo in Naples ? safety (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/female-traveling-solo-in-naples-safety-926271/)

bxl4373 Mar 3rd, 2012 06:54 PM

Female traveling solo in Naples ? safety

I traveling solo to Spoleto and Rome in May. I'd like to spend a couple of days in Naples to visit Pompeii and Naples in general. I have been to Sorrento before and would like to stay in Naples, but I'm concerned about safety. Is there a section that might be safer than others? I would certainly take obvious precautions.

stevelyon Mar 4th, 2012 04:12 AM

Anyone?

A_Brit_In_Ischia Mar 4th, 2012 06:00 AM

If there's nothing forthcoming?

Whilst not exactly in a position to answer from personal experience myself, you might try some of these:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SearchF...an&x=0&y=0&s=+

Sort by 'date' rather than 'relevance' if you prefer!

Peter

Dayle Mar 4th, 2012 06:44 AM

bxl,

I was in Naples as a solo female on my last trip and just loved it. Only for 1 day and 1 night, but would love to go back for so much more!

I stayed at Hotel Pinto Storey*** in the Chiaia neighborhood, supposed to be one of the nicest. The hotel is right across Piazza Amadeus where there is a metro stop.

I had hydrofoiled from Capri, stopped off at Pompeii for about 5 hours, then continued to Naples via the Circumvesuviana. Took a taxi to my hotel during Friday PM rush hour in Naples. What a blast! My driver was just super nice (and handsome too).

Walked around the area a bit and had dinner at an incredible pizza place full of locals. Walked around a bit more, but not much since I was pooped from a long day of extensive travel/walking.

Next morning, I left my roller at the hotel, took the metro to the Archeology Museum (my main objective) and spent a couple hours there.

Picked up the roller and returned to the train station via metro.

I was very impressed with the people I met in Naples. Although a short visit, several offered help above and beyond without even a request. The metro was uncrowded (it was a weekend).

Go and have fun!

zeppole Mar 4th, 2012 08:21 AM

I think both the Chiaia neighborhood and the Vomero neighborhood would be the most comfortable when it comes to evening walking. The other neighborhoods are not unsafe, but the winding little alleyways are not well lit and have no clear sightlines, so you won't feel very safe even if you are.

If you stay in a family-run b&b or small hotel, the owners will dote on you and give you very reassuring tips about safety. In general, you'll feel more like you are staying with friends than just in a hotel by yourself, so I recommend going that route (I believe the Pinto Storey is family run, but there are others, especially if you look for b&bs).

Naples is an extremely public place, whose streets are filled with people night and day, so you will quickly catch on that having so many people around you all the time makes for a safe environment, and you already seem savvy to the need to mind your valuable and take the other precautions necessary for a big city.

Have a great time. Naples is simply overstuffed with great sights. The cloisters of Santa Chiara, the church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi, the cappella SanSevero are all marvelous sights often missed by visitors. If you like painting, the Capodimonte museum is one of Europe's most stunning, and if you like views, a funicular trip up to San Martino & St. Elmo is terrific. In addition to pizza, coffee is excellent in Naples (Caffe Mexico, which has several branches) is my fave.

bxl4373 Mar 4th, 2012 08:43 AM

Thanks to all, I appreciate the input. I'm looking forward to visiting the area. We went to the Archaeological Museum in 2012, but didn't get to see the other sites I would have loved to visit.

bxl4373 Mar 4th, 2012 01:30 PM

I booked Hotel Pinto Storey for two nights and am considering a third!!

francoisebelle Mar 4th, 2012 03:08 PM

Stay for the third night. You won't regret it. Naples is such an under appreciated city. It has lots to offer, most of it mentioned above, and if you stick to well lit and populated areas, you should be safe and sound. Please do the funicular, it is breathtaking and I agree that the coffee is the best i have ever tasted. Have fun.

kja Mar 4th, 2012 05:34 PM

As a solo female traveler, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Napoli. It is vibrant and energetic and a bit gritty and wonderfully unique. One should, of course, take appropriate precautions ANY where. I stayed in the university area, and was glad I did, but I'm accustomed to living in cities and paying attention to safety; if you aren't, you might want to consider one of the other areas mentioned above. Hope that helps!