Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Female solo traveller in London on Easter Weekend......

Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

I will be visiting London over Easter weekend. Will things be closed? I have been to London before and done all the touristy things (Tower, Buckingham Palace, Museams, Parliament, London Eye, etc.) What should I do over Easter Weekend. My freinds are telling me not to go, because London is expensive and they seem to think the city will be a ghost town. If they are right I shall have to consider cancelling my trip. HELP. Thanks in advance.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:05 PM

Certainly a great many things will be closed, and you should check ahead on webistes. However, you should also check to see if there are special Easter services with choirs at St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey. I would imagine they are beautiful.

London is a very multi-ethnic city now, so you won't starve so long as you like Indian or Turkish or African food.

London's parks never close, and they will be filled with flowers. (I would check to see if Kenwood House in Hempstead Heath will be open.) You should also check out whether the Globe Theatere will be having any performances, because they are unique and very worthwhile. But I think most theaters will be open.

The very best place on earth to have a proper afternoon tea is a London hotel, and hotels must stay open on holidays.

You might also check to see if the Portobello Road will be in full swing on Easter.

Also, if the weather is nice, a boat ride down the Thames to Kew Gardens might be perfect.

Getting in touch with the London tourist board would be a good place to start, I should think.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:21 PM

Your friends are talking compete claptrap. Where DO they pick this nonsense up? More importantly, what other fantasies are they feeding you as information?

Virtually nothing is closed. As Easter's a public holiday, your problem will be the crowds. And believe me, there's nothing ghostly about them
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM

As has been said in the other recent (this week) posts about "London at Easter", ALL major shops will be closed on Easter Sunday.

Some of the attractions will be closed on at least 1 day so check their websites to find out
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM

I was there over Easter a few years ago (when the Queen Mum died come to think of it) and didn't have any problems...