Reload this Page >

Fellow Women Travelers

Search

Fellow Women Travelers

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Pam

Fellow Women Travelers

I am going to London for the first time for 10 days. I have never traveled overseas before and could use some advice on the best bag to carry. I am only 5'2" so nothing huge. We will mostly be touring london and hopefully a couple of outside excursions. Do I need a backpack or would a purse do just as well. What did you find that you needed to carry with you. Thanks!!

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:40 AM
kate

Hi Pam, I topped a thread called,Is taking a handbag wise" for you to look over.This might answer any questions you have and let you see how other people have dealt with this .<BR>I will tell you here that I carry a handbag that has straps across the chest.It is easy to reach into and not so easy for anyone else to reach into.I have never been robbed or pickpocketed while traveling.Have a great time~

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:30 AM
brownie

Hi Pam, <BR><BR>Well my choice of bags is not to much the "safety" of bag issue as much as actually needing a backpack to carry maps, guide book(s), a water bottle, umbrella etc etc..<BR><BR>A backpack is just a lot more comfortable for brisk walking/running for public transport than a big sling-bag. <BR><BR>I also have a jacket with many pockets, and this would be enough for a map and a guidebook.

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:44 AM
JMHO

backpacks get in the way on trains and buses and are easier to "pick" in a crowd.they are searched at all museums,etc,when purses are not and mark you as a tourist right away.<BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:59 AM
x

I was giving a wonderful gift, a "healthy backpack" from LL Bean, and used it whenever I travel. It's thin, nice looking and shaped to hug your shoulder and side and only has one strap, so you don't look like you're going camping, it's very appropriate for the city. It has tons of pockets and compartments for maps, water, guidebooks, whatever. I highly recommend it, and I dont work for LL Bean! : )

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:03 PM
elvira

For my wallet, page or two of notepaper with my itinerary, small map, I carry a flat black microfiber bag with a wide strap, designed to be worn bandolier-style. I have a black nylon totebag that zips into itself (fits into a pocket easiy) that I open up if I need to carry an umbrella, or if I don't have enough pocket space for my camera; otherwise, I only open it to carry purchases. Backpacks just don't work for me, so the zip-up tote is my solution for carrying anything beyond what fits in my purse or pockets (I guess I'm part camel, because I never carry water, just depend on water fountains and restaurants/cafes).

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:05 PM
brownie

Backpacks come in many sizes and you don't need a large, bulky backpack to carry one or two books, map and maybe a camera. There are some really nice cloth/leather ones out there.<BR><BR>BTW .. I also do carry a backpack to work everyday .. so I don't think that only tourists carry backpacks. But you would get searched in museums and are often asked to keep your backpack in a lockers etc..

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:41 PM
claire

Last summer I carried a smallish black microfiber purse with shoulder strap. It fit neatly under my arm when I wanted it to. I think it is a matter of personal convenience, really, but would not recommend the bulky sort of backpack where you are vulnerable in a crowd. <BR>Whatever you decide to carry, make sure you still wear a moneybelt under your clothing!!!!!They are lightweight and really do provide protection for your most valuable docs & money & credit card.

Old May 18th, 2002, 03:39 PM
NYgirl

I must recommend my favorite travel purse,the Coach Station Bag.It has two straps,one detachable.That one is long and goes across the chest,the other is a short handle that you can use when going out at night,looking more dressed.<BR>Also, Longchamp,makes great nylon and leather "sports" bags, that have canvas straps,lots of pockets and still look chic.<BR>Backpacks look great on college kids and backpackers,but a lady traveling looks better with a little more stylish bag.<BR>At least I think so

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Pat

I agree with Kate. I just got back from Paris and wore a small handbag with a long strap so it was in front of my body. Unlike other former trips, I only had to carry one credit card and one cash card. I accessed an ATM every other day or whenever I needed it and never had to carry enough cash on me that I would be upset about losing. I also made sure that my credit card had a pin number so that I could access cash through that also. I did take a second credit card with me but left that in the safe in my room (just in case). At different times, I have been through Italy, Holland, Switzerland, France, Great Britain and never been pickpocketed. I also like to travel with lots of pockets in my slacks and jackets. Much more convenient than a handbag. You can always stick a little velcro patch on the inside edge of a pocket to keep things secure. Worked for me.

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:03 PM
mimi taylor

I carry a backback for a change of clothes , gifts, fragile stuff and to bring back olive oil on return or other<BR>bottled goodies, but I wear bandolier style a linen bag that holds everything and I can wear it to dinner.

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Lori

Nothing is more irksome then being hit in the face (or other body parts) by a backpack when the person wearing it tries to get into the Tube, make a sharp turn anyplace or move about in a crowd. I personally despise backpacks and nothing smacks more of "I'm a tourist" then one of them .. unless it is the God awlful fanny pack). I always (dozens of trips to Europe) carry a shoulder purse, a medium sized black one. You can keep a good grip on it in crowds, it never looks touristy and it's not heavy. Don't overload yourself, dragging around half a ton of stuff is a killer.

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Lori

Forgot to mention - as others did also that in this age of increased security backpacks are being searched at museums and other sights whereas purses are generally no problem. In many cases backpacks must be checked now too (in checkrooms/lockers). We just returned from London and saw several instances where people with backpacks were stopped and searched at museums. We also went to 5 shows and right now I cannot remember which theater it was but they had a sign that all backbacks were subject to search and hold. Take a small to medium purse, whatever you need will fit in it. If you want the extra safety use a money belt. Personally I find them uncomfortable, but my husband always wears one when we travel abroad.

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:22 PM
mimi taylor

I agree with you Lori. I live in backback hell, as far as riding the subway, but I hope Pam knows that a backback is not for walking around with.There are alot of large shoulder bags that will hold maps, camera, passport, money, etc, but be sure it is light weight, such as my sturdy linen. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Martha

Pam -<BR>What I have found successful for me is to carry one of the big cloth bags that I got from Speigel a few years ago as my purse and carryon bag for the plane. It's packed full for my carryon and serves as my purse. Then I can fill it as full as necessary for day trips - sometimes just my wallet, camera, map and water bottle. Othertimes, a sweater or raincoat may be necessary. There's usually room for small packages that I buy, which is convenient. <BR>Martha<BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Lori

Have to agree with the other Lori -- backpacks are themselves a security risk when worn in the back, uncomfortable when worn in the front and a general threat to life and limb of the rest of the travelling public. No one needs that much stuff for a day in a city anyway IMHO. I carry a security pouch and a medium sized purse (8x10 or so?) across my chest. The purse has my camera, travel umbrella, maps, guidebook, tissues, meds, etc. and it has always been plenty big. Oh, yeah, I'm 5'2" also. Less is more.

Old May 20th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Pam

Thanks everyone. I really!!! appreciated your help. I will looks for a appropriate handbag. I never even thought about a backpack being searched!!

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Sue

I have to agree with "x." I really like the healthy backpack, which is really just a purse, but somehow ergonomically designed to balance the load. I love all the organizational pockets, and you can wear it bandolier-style in places like the subway where you want to keep a closer eye on it. It is made by Ameribag and is available at lots of places (got mine at a Birkenstock store). See it at www.ameribag.com<BR><BR>I also take along a very small purse for times when I don't need water, books, etc.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:28 AM
oversized purse

The problem with a BACKpack is that it is BEHIND you. Unless you want to deal with locks, it's very easy to unzip without you realizing it, in a crowded situation. I use an oversized pocketbook with a wide strap that can be carried over my shoulder or across my body, all openings that zip up. Big enough so anything I pick up during the day fits in it, it hang in front of me, my hands can be free. Another tip... I use a small coin purse for the day's money, so I never pull my wallet out in public.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:20 PM
danna

I debated this issue endlessly and wound up following a piece of advice I got on this board. The lady said that in all her life, she had never had her handbag stolen or picked, or left it somewhere or forgotten to put her wallet in it, etc. I'm sort-of scatterbrained, so I decided the Coach purse I was used to was the safer alternative. I removed unneccessary items and was able to cram in my guide book and small camera. I wore it over my chest and kept it snuggled safely against my crotch on the subway. I just wish it had been black.<BR><BR>Many Parisienne women were wearing nice purse backbacks (not book bags) and they are definately more comfortable, but I feared pick-pockets.<BR><BR>