Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fellow Fodorians have problems with taste or comments about London/Paris trip! Part II

Search

Fellow Fodorians have problems with taste or comments about London/Paris trip! Part II

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... from the top. I truly believe it's a tourist trap unless there is nobody in line at all.
Versailles was packed as well, still worth going. Enjoyed Louvre and especially Museum D'Orsay and Rodin museum - fantastic. I thought Cluny was a waste unless you specifically know why you're going there. It was 85 degrees in Paris and it was hell since almost all the shops, restaurants, and inexpensice hotels lack AC - book tables outside when it's warm! BTW, Hotel De France Invalides was great - very nice owners, great service. Do not get rooms facing the street - very noisy, and if it's hot, you're either sweating all night or listen to the street. Can't sleep in both cases. Now is the time to satisfy your curiosity. I was really looking forward to dine in Paris, and studied this board for restaurant tips. First dinner was at Bistro Du 7th or smth like that near Ecole Militair. Disappointing is the word. Duck was mediocre, and antrecote with fries could not compete even with In-n-Out burger. Next day PASCO in the same area. DELHI in London offered lamb chops 10 times better for the half price. Finally, Chez Matre Paul. Run away as fast as you can. I'm not even going to start, just let you know we sent the deserts back - first time in my life I had burnt creme brulee! At the same time the restaurant was full of americans obviously happy with food. Felt sorry for them and the spoiled evening. Two good restaurants were le p'tit crocquet and Le Florimond. Both were ZAGAT rated and I will never go to the unrated restaurant again unless someone takes me. One more thing. If you really want to have a great food in Paris, look for gastronomic restaurants but expect to pay over 45 EU per person. Hope it helps and have a great journey wherever you're going!

Ilia
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I disagree with your Paris dining comments. I've visited Paris quite a few times and have eaten one bad meal only and it was last December at a rip off cafe located near Etoile. I never paid over 45 euro to dine well either.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Boy, burnt crème brûlée--now that's really bad!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:48 PM

They burned my ' burnt cream '. Not only that, but my ' steak tartar ' turned out to be raw hamburger. Can you believe it? I ordered ' escagot ', and there were snails on my plate.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 02:22 AM

Why is it that people seem to think that everyone else's flight and dining experience will be exactly the same as theirs was or that it should have been????
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

You guys are nuts. I'm telling you that particular places are dump, and you're trying to misinterpet me. There is a difference between bad food dand good food, and no matter what you're being served you should be looking for the quality and how it tastes. But I guess I'm talking to the same fellowes who praised Chef Matre Paul while I was pissed. No wonder I did not hear even one French word that evening.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:23 AM

I was also disappointed with Chez Maitre Paul. I didn't think the food was actually bad -- just so-so, and expensive for what it was.

As for prices -- it depends on the area, how much you eat, and whether there is a fixed price menu. In the 5th & 6th, for a really good three course meal from the carte, with wine and fizzy water, 45 euros pp was about the least we paid. But I don't doubt we could have paid less.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Kvilia, as I mentioned in your Part I, thanks for your report. You're allowed to have your own opinion, so please continue to post it. As no one on this board was there when you had your meals, no one can judge whether they were good or not.

For the record, just about all the recommendations I got from this board, and especially items related to logistics, were spot-on. However, a few of the food recommendations were a little off (i.e., folks saying a particular place was good when it wasn't all that great). I guess a lot depends on what your experiences in the past have been and the quality of the dining experiences you currently have. It all depends on your reference points. Maybe your standards are higher than those folks who posted the original recommendations - and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Most Fodor's folks aren't "nuts" (in fact I have met a few at a GTG and they are really wonderful people)...but I can understand your frustration when you post about your experience and then it is suggested that you are wrong...
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:25 AM

"just about all the recommendations I got from this board, and especially items related to logistics, were spot-on. However, a few of the food recommendations were a little off"

I think that says it all really. Logistics, train times, etc., are facts, and are either right or wrong. On the other hand, dining experiences, hotels, etc., are opinions, and as such are totally subjective. I will happily give my opinion on a hotel, restaurant, museum, or whatever, but I always try to stress that's "how it was for me" and other people will almost certainly have a different opinion.
So, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue to post your opinions on any place on Earth, for only by reading both good & bad can others decide whether or not to go there.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Thanks for your report. It is always interesting to hear the experience of those who visit our favorite places. Even if we didn't have the same good or bad experiences at a particular place, it is still interesting and valuable. We have found that our enjoyment at particular restaurants is not necessarily the same as others. Like everything, there are so many variables that go into each meal. I have to read Part I of your report because I was a little confused by the start of this one.