Feelings towards Americans in Turkey

Mar 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Feelings towards Americans in Turkey

We want to visit Turkey this fall. I was there 5 years ago and the people I met were very warm, friendly and seemed to like Americans. Now that the political climate has changed,(because of Iraq)will they still welcome us? Also, I have heard of a movie that is very anti- american and anti- semitic that is very popular in Turkey right now. Does anyone know about this? Really, I love Turkey and can't wait to go back, but don't want to end up in some trouble I don't need. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Mar 1st, 2006, 11:52 AM

Wear a canadian flag hat. They don't hate us.
Mar 1st, 2006, 11:55 AM

Has anyone been to Turkey lately?
natjgc
Mar 1st, 2006, 11:58 AM

The people have not changed..warm and wonderful and in no way did I sense any anti-American feeing during 10 days there last fall. Yes, there is a movie there now, with "wolf" in the title, that sounds horrid; it has gotten lots of press in the NY papers but I would not let that dissuade you. Put it this way, I would have no hesitation going back.
Mar 1st, 2006, 12:09 PM

The movie's called "Kurtlar Vadisi" and is a big success unlike many B-Movies it got such a marketing boost from the media. In Munich, most muliplex cimemas show it. I havn't seen it personally, because it's turkish with german subtitles, but I bet most immigrants and their children have. You'll have to wait for the english version on DVD. With the endless anti-german or anti-russian movies shown every day on TV and in the cinema, it'll be great to watch an "anti-american" movie for a change. The turkish version of Rambo ;-)
Mar 1st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

logos999, I'm not in favor of anti german or russian movies either, and more importantly, I'm not looking for a fight. Got it? Go somewhere else! I'm aware that most (people) everywhere, including here in the USA are not nuts about our administation right now. I'm just looking for a few people like ekscrunchy, (thank you very much) to let me in on their recent experiences in Turkey. Very clever Mattboom, and not such a bad idea. Maybe we'll use it!
Mar 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM

Don't go to Turkey, if you're scared. It would be extremly silly imho. Yes, you're i fact looking for fight, if you post such a ... question here!
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:11 PM

My in-laws were in Turkey a few years ago and raved about the people and had a great time. I suspect things are much the same on an individual-to-individual basis.
The movie is Valley of the Wolves and it stars Billy Zane and Gary Bussey. Zane plays a sadistic American soldier and Bussey plays a sadistic Jewish-American doctor who's job it is to extract body organs from ..ummm...victims for transplant into...umm...the victimizers. You get the idea. Pure propaganda. Hateful propaganda at that. By the way, this movie is the most expensive Turkish production ever, and it is wildly popular among certain (very large) groups. It opened in Germany a couple weeks ago to full houses. Lovely.
By all means, go, have a good time. But don't kid yourself, Turkey is not a free country. Ask the Danes. And forget about Turkey joining the EU. Aint gonna happen.
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Just curious, what does Denmark have to do with Turkey? Is Turkey somehow involved with the cartoons? I want to believe that the country I really fell in love with is the same. I don't kid myself, I'm sure tourist dollars make lots of people friendlier then they would otherwise be to (anybody). But, having traveled all over in Europe, I have always found people on a 1 to 1 basis very nice and considerate. They may ask whats up with this Bush thing, but thats not ME; thats political policy. I thought almost every Turk I met was a perfect example of how to be a real "mensch", that's yiddush for good person. I don't want to go back and feel like the "ugly american", through nothing I did, and over the top generalizations. I wish there was someone; an american who has just returned from there very recently. My friends have never been there and I want our experience to be as fantastic as my own was 5 years ago. And finally, logos999, I'm not scared, just a healthly dose of caution. I'm not looking for any fights either, just good information, which this forum excels in.
Mar 1st, 2006, 02:04 PM

There is absolutly no reason to be overly cautious. Not more or less than in any other european country! I live in a place with a 30% turkish population. Can it be you're (just a litle bit) paranoid???, because of the things you see on TV or movies that supposed to be raicist? You claim to have been all over Europe, what makes you think Turkey is different (Religion???) Most turks at least in the western part of the county are FAR less "fundamentalist" than the people in thew mid-western US. Are you scared of them??? This movie is ENTERTAINMENT whatever one may think of it. It's NOTHING compared with the anti-whoever cheap movies that come out of Hollywood every day. Might it be you don't complain about them and they don't scare you, because it's not you or your country, your people that is described as evil? Mensch btw. is not only Yiddish but German.
Mar 1st, 2006, 02:25 PM

" This movie is ENTERTAINMENT whatever one may think of it."

This is nonsense. People, especially uneducated people, get their sense of the world from movies. They see don't ever meet Jews see sadistic Jews in movies, it is going to affect them. You are naive if you don't think that most people are not able to separate reality from fiction. It's called propaganda.

Mar 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Quite honestly, logos999, I pretty much agree with everything you said in your last post. Except, what Hollywood movies have got you so angry? I don't keep up with the movies, unless its something I really want to see, so I don't know what you keep referring to. One thing, though, I live in as mid west as you can get (Kansas) and thankfully am not acquainted with any true fundamentalists of any kind! As I said, I know that Turkish people are very nice, (a well deserved reputation). I just want to know that their (the population that I will probably deal with), store keepers, restaurant workers and hotel and tourist site staffs are still gracious to americans. I think they are, and I hope I'm right. Thanks for your thoughtful replies. Lets see if someone who's been recently will answer.
Mar 1st, 2006, 03:02 PM

imhornet, you must be blind to see that there are dozends of Hollywood propaganda movies every day on TV and in cinemas all over the world. It's against Arabs, Russians, Germans and almost every country. It good versus evil, good being usually the american hero (Rambo, Die Hard, etc, etc. thousands of others) Sponsored by the army??. Bad being some foreigner, simplistic but effective?. Usually stupid foreigners too ;-) It's standard Hollywood export to the world. "Kurtlar Vadisi" is exactly the same kind of movie, just this time it's turkish.
Mar 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Hey, lets get back on track here. If we're talking movies, "Rambo" and "Die Hard" are awfully old movies. Lets talk "Pride and Prejudice" or "Mad Hot Ballroom". "Brokeback Mountain" was wonderful too, but enough about Hollywood. Independents and foreign movies are usually better, but thats still not going to tell me what the social climate towards americans is like in Turkey, and I want 1st hand info. Excepts for the crunchy one, I'm not gathering lots of responses. Where are you, Turkey travellers?
Mar 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM

I've been to Turkey -- we went to Izmir, Ephasus and Istanbul, spending a little over a week there.

The Turks are in NATO -- they're a Muslim country with it's feet planted in both the East and West, and that's what makes them fascinating.

In Izmir, I was stared at like Julia Roberts walking down the street. My husband and me were welcomed everywhere we went, and in cases where we had a good conversation (we had a guide for Ephasus who spoke fluent English and also functioned as a translator), they were very very curious about us.

I loved Turkey. My experience there changed my entire outlook on Islam. Don't be afraid to go.

Jules
Mar 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM

OK, usually I'm in Turkey 2 weeks every november (Beach around Alanya). NOTHING out of the ordinary. Ask some Turks, maybe someone there will answer in the morning (GMT+2). Good night!
Mar 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM

logos, i think your being overly harsh, the OP is not paranoid but just wants to know the views from someone who was there very recently... not the view from a place with 30% turkish "guest-workers" or someone who "usually" goes there every year.
Mar 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM
wj1

zwho:

My husband and I (Americans) were in Turkey in September and drove ourselves all over. We've never been so welcomed in another country as we were in Turkey. In fact, it is the hospitality and individual kindness that I remember most. Go. You'll still love it.
Mar 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Huh, I'm an OP? What's that?
Mar 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM

"Original Poster."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO