Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying to Munich for Oktoberfest; other Europe destinations?

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question relates to my planned trip to Munich for Oktoberfest this coming September.

We (myself and 6 others, all in our mid to late 20s) fly directly into Munich, and have booked two nights to enjoy the festival. However, we want to explore other areas for the rest of the trip (10 days total), taking in account that the final night will again be in Munich since we fly out of there. So, that leaves us with 7 nights for other cities.

Initially we were thinking about seeing Krakow, however there is no direct train there and we would have to go through Prague. I enjoy Prague, but have been there before and don't feel the urge to return. Additionally, don't know if we'd need 7 nights in Krakow.

Our other thought was Budapest, but we know nothing about it and don't know if it is good for 7 days, either. We considered it (along with Krakow) because neither are on the Euro and thus would keep the trip more affordable.

We wanted your advice on other possibilities. Renting a car is not out of the question. Northern Italy? Salzburg? Vienna? France? Other interesting parts of Germany? Have been to Nuremburg, have been to Hamburg, and have been to Berlin. Really enjoyed them but would prefer to go places I haven't been. What would be semi affordable, after the inflated costs in Munich during the festival?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really appreciate it!
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Hi!

You don't necessarily need to rent a car - the train system in Germany is outstanding, punctual, affordable. Europeans don't use their cars, they use bikes, walk, take the train. You could spend a couple of days just going out into the immediate areas of Munich - Berchtesgaden (Hitler's Eagle's Nest), Mittenwald (charming German town with timbered buildings, known for the best violinmakers), head over to the Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein, Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a walled city, but touristy, so stay overnight to see the lights and avoid tour crownds. There are lesser-known spectacular castles along the route. Salzburg is enchanting - shop in the Old Town, take the Sound of Music tour, see Mozart's birthplace, spend the evening at the Schloss overlooking the city, eat Mozartkugeln (chocolate candy balls). Innsbruck is nice, but I like Salzburg better.

Budapest is wonderful and many clients love it, especially all lit up at night, but 7 nights would be too long. Be sure to visit the baths, see both sides of the river, Buda and Pest, see the historic sights. You might want to spend 3 days in Budapest to see it thoroughly.

Have a great day!
Julia
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Define "affordable" first of all.

There's an entire country..Switzerland and no you don't have to spend a fortune to see it. IOt is the size of West Virginia in area and easy to get a round by rail.

Salzburg..NOT for 7 nights

Vienna would offer more than Salzburg; ditto Budapest.

Ii was going to say Berlin but you've already been there. and don't want to go back. BTW what do the other people think?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 12:06 PM

I've been to Oktoberfest several times (company sponsored). You cannot get into a beer tent at night, as these are all booked by local companies for their employees/customers.

You might also want to explore Munich itself, which has a lot to offer.

Have you thought about an open jaw ticket, whereby you fly out of a different city? Cuts down on transportation time.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 09:49 PM

I live in this neck of the woods and have written a bunch of trip reports ( currently living in Budapest). Hit the contact button off my blog if I can help with more detailed info.

Www.worldinbetween.wordpress.com