Feedback/opinions requested - 18 day trip to Spain/France in 6/2010

Notices

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Firming up plans for 18 day trip to Spain/France in June 2010 and was just looking for some feedback on my plans from more experienced Europe travelers.

Plan right now is to leave Orlando, FL on 6/12/10 and return on 6/30/10.

There are 5 persons traveling (myself, my wife, my then 6 year-old daughter, my mother-in-law and my 15-year-old niece).

Planning on flying into Barcelona and out of Paris.

Planning on spending 7 nights in Barcelona in a apartment. Apartment is through Habitat Apartments (the Carders apartment). Looks like a nice apartment in the El Born area.

http://www.habitatapartments.com/en/...ew/carders.htm

Next we would take cheap plane or train trip from Barcelona to Paris. My wife wants to do the train (Barcelona to Narbonne, FR and then Narbonne to Paris), it's about a 7:30 trip, but she thinks it would be cool for the kids to see some of the countryside (even if it is from a train). Based on some preliminary research it appears that the train trip will be more expensive than economy airline ride, but train might be fun.

We will then spend 10 nights in Paris in an apartment from vacationinparis.com.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_48.htm

It is a 2 bedroom/2bath apartment located at 13 Rue de Canettes in the 6th arr. (I believe it is a short walk to Eglise St. Sulpice). I think that this should be a good area to stay in but looking for some thoughts on this location. Also got 10% off the nightly rate via a current special they are running.

On this trip, we plan to see Versaille and maybe take a day trip to Brugge or Brussels (depends on how we feel). My wife and I have been to Paris twice, my daughter and mother-in-law have been once, my niece has never been).

Just looking for some general feedback as to how this trip sounds and then any comments on the specifics I have provided.

Thanks in advance for any feedback provided.

Mike
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Anyone out there?
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:37 AM
ira

Hi C,

Seems reasonable to me.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Mike, that sounds like a great trip, Paris and Barcelona are both fascinating cities. But…. Instead of having a trip basically centered on 2 cities I would add some countryside driving experience.

Provence, France is only slightly out of your way if you plan to train to Paris. I just returned from there and it is spectacular.

I would do 6 days in Barcelona, 6 days in Avignon and 6 days in Paris. In Avignon you can rent a car and there are lots of fantastic places within an hour drive away.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:37 AM

hi clemson,

having travelled with kids myself quite a bit, i like ImMiami's idea for giving you and them a break from cities and watching, to a bit of countryside and DOING.

you could combine this with your idea of a train, by getting the train from Barcelona to somewhere in southern France, picking up car, renting a gite for a week or so then getting the TGV to Paris. there are many places that could provide you with your base, depending on what you want to do - not just big cities like avignon, but also the dordogne, which would have loads to interest all the family, and has good links to Paris at the end of your stay.

good luck,

regards, ann
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

Appartments are all booked in Barcelona and Paris.

Now just waiting for some less expensive open-jaw plane tickets to become available.

Mike