Feedback on Ireland itinerary- Aug

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on Ireland itinerary- Aug

I am helping a friend and her family plan their Ireland trip. (I am so envious!!) The family of five including 2 teenage sons and the 80 yr. old mother will arrive July 31st (Sunday) and depart Sun (Aug. 7th). The boys are very talented musicians and want to hear lots of good music. With that in mind, what do you think of this itinerary?

Tentative plans:
Sun- arrive Shannon airport, drive to Cliffs of Moher, explore Burren, overnight in Doolin.
Mon- overnight in Galway, explore Connemara through the day.
Tuesday- explore Galway (possible trip to Roundstone for a bodhran), overnight in Galway
Wednesday- drive to Dingle via Cragganowen, overnight in Dingle
Thursday- Slea Head drive, overnight in Killarney
Friday- Gap of Dunloe, overnight in Killarney
Saturday- Killarney National Park, drive to Bunratty, Medieval Banquet, overnight in Bunratty
Sunday- fly home.

Any great suggestions for B&Bs in Galway and/or Killarney? They would prefer to be within walking distance, if possible, to town centers. Does this give them enough of a flavor of Ireland?
Saturday-
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM

All pretty doable. Be advised that Doolin will be a zoo that night or any night that time of year. Any reasonable chance of hearing the music will require an early arrival and a lot of waiting. The are sometimes sessions in the afternoon. They might be better off in Ennis for music.

In Galway, a couple of the pubs do early (around 5 or 6) sessions. This might be an easier time to find a seat. Malachy Kearns makes Bodhrans especiialy for the US market that have a more loosely stretched skin for the more arid climates. You might want to consider calling ahead for those. He does very nice work.

They'll see much of Killarney Nat'l Park on the Dunloe trip. They may want to reserve Saturday for a little more time in Co. Clare. I like to keep my last day pretty light. When they finish the Dunloe trip on Friday, they can catch Ross Castle and still have plenty of time to see the Torc Waterfall, especially at that time of year.

They should have a blast!

Bill
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bill- you always give great advice!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I agree with Bill, Doolin will be a zoo and even during the off times it is not my favorite place unless you use it as a base for a trip out to the the Arrans, three Pubs not within walking distance and a lot of drunk teens. I know others have better reviews but thats my opinion hafter two visits. You only have have 7 nights, the cliffs are great but it only takes and hour if you walk slow and you will be overrun by tour buses. In my opinion which I will say again please feel free to disregard you have to decide north or south. If you want to go north then go to Roundstone and then Clifden. I have been too both and Its a nice trip. I will spend a long weenkend in roundstone at the the end of June. If you want to go South Start in Dingle ( about a three hour drive,) drive to Killarney, ( lots of Pubs and plenty of music in August) I love the Gap of Dunloe. its afull day. I walk it but it will be tough for a 80 year old. take a pony cart.
and then a nice boat ride thru the lakes. take aride south from Killarney on the N-71 to Glengarriff and do Healey pass ad explore the Beara Peninsula, Or If your not too tired get off the plane drive down to Glengariff and do it in reverse. You can make an afternoon flight fromn Shannon by leaving Dingle early. Bunratty is nice so the decision is yours. Have Fun.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Just a few comments/concerns.
I would recommend spending the first night in Galway, skipping Doolin and the Cliffs and instead, picking up Cragganowen, instead. It is located very near the Shannon airport and would be much less crowded in the morning than the Cliffs.
Then, on Monday, drive a liesurely drive through the Burren and spend Monday night in Doolin (still going to be crowded, but you'll see the Cliffs at sunset -- fewer people and the load at Doolin will be a bit lighter).
Then drive to Dingle on Tuesday. The drive will be shorter (esp. without the "detour" to Cragganowen) and you can take the Ferry at Killimer to Tarbert, then drive into Doolin over the Connor Pass.
This should still cover everything they want to see, but at less stress for all, particularly the eighty year old.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:35 PM

Senior Momentquot;then drive into Doolin over the Connor Pass." Obviously, I meant DINGLE ...

Also, for something different, 'swing by' Lough Gur on the way back to Bunratty. It was the basis for the recreation at Cragganowen. While in Killarney, try to drive down the N71 to Kenmare, the scenery is well worth the trip and Kenmare has some pretty happening spots.