feedback on Earl's Court and Kensington

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting London for the first time for few days and are trying to stay there on a reasonable budget. We found some surprisingly normal priced hotels in Earls Court (such as Nadler Kensington) and some more expensive hotels in S. Kensington. We would like to get feedback on these two areas, including why is Earls Court cheaper than Kensington and is it worth it to pay a premium to stay in Kensington.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 04:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>including why is Earls Court cheaper than Kensington and is it worth it to pay a premium to stay in Kensington. <<

Earls Court, Kensington, and South Kensington are all different neighborhoods. They are fine but of the three South Kensington is the more central and more convenient for sightseeing. But both Kensington and Earls Court would be fine.

The Nadler is in a decent location walking distance from both the Earls Court and Gloucester Road stations and Kensington Gardens.

It is a bit far west so you will have some longer travel times. (the same would apply to most places in Kensington as well)
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 04:12 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't answer that question, but I am staying in a "hub" hotel in London and love it! Ann Marie told me about them. New, bright, high tech, good locations and great prices. Their standard room is very small but their "bigger rooms" are well, larger and more traditional in set up.
https://www.hubhotels.co.uk/london.html
I had Hiltons reserved when I thought a friend was going to be able to join me. I am loving the hub! Nice breakfast downstairs (reasonable cost). Lounge with free coffee and tea all day, and a nice place to gather at night. I'm very much a new fan of the hub hotels - especially the price.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 05:11 PM

I really liked staying at the Nadler Kensington, when it was Base2stay. Stayed 3 times there over the years, and just stayed at the Nadler Victoria last September. The neighborhood is full of convenient shopping options (Starbucks, Costa, grocery stores) and very close to the train. But you are a bit further west, though I found this area nice as I had destinations in Chelsea, and it was easy enough for me to walk to the V&A, and that area. (Though I enjoy walking, especially in London, and find I walk about 10-12 miles/day when in that city. It's not the same kind of tiredness when the sights are fresh for you.)

I wouldn't let the location put you off if you get a good rate. Another great thing about Nadler hotels are the kitchenettes. Nice to have a small fridge to keep a small pint of milk in, and that microwave is great if you want to heat up a quick meal.

But, yes, the trains and buses are a longer ride. Have you looked at prices at The Strand Palace? I've stayed there as well, and that location is very convenient for public transportation.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 05:16 PM

Hi starrs. The hub looks really great. Is there a toilet and sink in the room? Or just the shower? I can't tell from the pics.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 01:22 AM

I have stayed at Earls Court many times and it is a good area Back in the 80's and 90's it was the place to be if you were Australian.
On my last visit to London in 2016 I stayed at the Arosfa Hotel. It is located in Bloomsbury. I loved the area and this lovely little B&B hotel.
Rooms are small, but they are well appointed and clean.
I much prefer it to Earls Court as it is more central to lots of sights. I found myself walking everywhere. The British Museum is close by.
Earls court is closer if you are coming from Heathrow.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by ChgoGal
Hi starrs. The hub looks really great. Is there a toilet and sink in the room? Or just the shower? I can't tell from the pics.
A complete bathroom - shower, sink and toilet.

I'm in one of their "bigger rooms" and it's the size of many small rooms elsewhere. I'll be in one of the more typical small hub rooms later in this trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 02:51 PM

starrs - hub hotels look great. Which one are you staying in? From the website it looks like they are all alike. Is there a window? Again, from the website it looks like there is (doesn't open, but that's ok) but the easyjet hotels (which sound similar) if you wanted a window it was extra.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 03:20 PM

I stayed at the one at Westminster Abbey. I LOVED it. Absolutely loved it. It came highly recommended by Ann Marie here on Fodors and I'm so glad I followed her advice. I'm in hotels every week and it's a small room concept but I liked everything about the hotel. The breakfast wasn't free (like a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express) but a good value at $6 with a variety of hot items, pastries, etc. I think it's a $5 breakfast if you prepay. (Sorry, pounds not dollars). Coffee and tea are free 24/7.

I stayed in a "bigger room" (their name for it) and the room was small but nice. I LOVED the neighborhood. A bit over a block to the St. James Park tube station (with Westminster on the other side). I also liked that there were several restaurant/pub options nearby but it wasn't in the middle of a crazy crowded section of London. I'm staying in another one in a few days and that room will be one of their small room.

My "bigger room" had a window. I think they all do but don't quote me on that. I'll report back on the small room in a few days.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 10:03 PM

Not all Hub rooms have windows. They’re generally built within older buildings and as the rooms are small they don’t always line up with the external windows. Sometimes you’ll have a window that overlooks part of an external window, or you might be in a lower ground floor room. I like the Hub hotels - the showers are exceptionally good - but the normal-sized rooms are pretty much bed-sized with a small patch of floor. They’re very well-designed, though, with big sliding drawers under the bed to store suitcase. I particularly like the St Martin’s Lane location, right by Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden.

The Nadler Kensington is a lovely hotel - very small rooms and no restaurant on-site, but all rooms have a mini-kitchen.

Earl’s Court is a very good area. It’s less posh than certain bits of Kensington but very safe and full of restaurants etc. BUT it is s bit of a journey from central London - an *extremely* crowded 15/20 minute tube ride if you’re travelling at rush hour, or about 20/30 minutes on the bus takes you to Victoria and onwards.

I’d rather stay in one of the central London Hubs and be walking distance from at least some attractions.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 10:22 PM

I have stayed at the Nadler.. when it was called Base2Stay( now that they are called Nadler they cost more than I am willing to pay ) and LOVED it and the location. Super comfy beds.. loved the mini kitchnette ( when you see all the great take out at the grocery stores and M@S you'll realize why..
The location was great , close to the Victoria and Albert and Natural History Museums.. two grocery stores , and the two tube stations..
Beds were super comfy with nice fluffy duvets.. good bathroom with tub and shower..
I would stay there again in a heartbeat.. but they've priced themselves beyond my reach.

I havent stayed at the Hub hotel.. but have stayed at a BLOC hotel which is similar.. and while I pay the extra to get a room with a window.. not all rooms have windows. I have stayed in it alone.. good .. and with a friend.. bad.. the rooms are best for a solo traveler.. if solo and price is good I would take Starrs reccomendation and look at the HUB.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by starrs
My "bigger room" had a window. I think they all do but don't quote me on that. I'll report back on the small room in a few days.
I'm back in a hub in one of the small rooms.
It has a window.
I have no idea now.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by starrs
I'm back in a hub in one of the small rooms.
It has a window.
I have no idea now.
There’s no consistency on whether they have windows or not. I’ve stayed in six or seven different small rooms at three different Hubs. I’ve always had a window of sorts. At Tower Bridge the window has always been a full outside window. At Goodge Street & St Martin’s Lane, it’s potluck whether the room window fully aligns with the external window. Only on one night did I have an “internal” window, which had a kind of light box arrangement.

I think the majority of rooms have windows but they do have a few internal or lower floor rooms without external views.
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 09:12 AM

Also, Nadler Kensington and Nadler Victoria are offering a "3 for 2" offer for a limited time.
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 12:47 PM

You need to define what "reasonable" is and consider using the interactive hotel map at londontown.com for this.

"We would like to get feedback on these two areas, including why is Earls Court cheaper than Kensington and is it worth it to pay a premium to stay in Kensington."

In terms of convenience to central London, South Kensington beats both Kensington (and West Kens) and Earl's Court easily. That's why it's more expensive. If you're looking for $100/night place, you're going to be outside the city center and ride the Tube a lot to see London.