Notices

Feedback Needed on itinerary

Jul 9th, 2014, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Feedback Needed on itinerary

Hi,

we are planning a visit to Iceland and Greenland in Sept first half. we know its gonna be cold but this is the only chance we are gonna get to go to iceland. any feedback will be highly appreciated. Please see daily planned itinerary as below:

1. Helsinki to Reykjavik with overnight in Reykjavik.

2. Fly to Ilulissat with overnight for 2 days in Illulissat and take tours from there.

3. Fly from Ilulissat to Reykjavik and overnight stay for 2 days with visiting places nearby.

4. Drive from Reykjavik and visit Borgarfjörður - Grábrók – Skagafjörður with an overnight stay in Akureyri.

5. Drive from Akureyri and visit Goðafoss - Lake Mývatn and overnight in Lake Mývatn.

6. Go from Lake Mývatn and visit Jökuldalsheiði - Dettifoss - Egilsstaðir – Hengifoss and overnight in Fáskrúðsfjörður.

7. Drive from Fáskrúðsfjörður to Vatnajökull - Jökulsárlón - Skaftafell National Park and overnight in Kirkjubæjarklaustur.

8. Go from Kirkjubæjarklaustur to Skógafoss - Seljalandsfoss - Vík and stay in Hveragerði overnight.

9.Drive from Hveragerði visiting Gullfoss - Geysir - Thingvellir National Park and stay overnight in Reykjavik.

10. Fly back!

We plan to drive ourselves to all these places. For ilulissat we plan to take a tour.

many thanks in advance! any feedback will be highly appreciated!

Cheers
Jul 9th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Way way way too much.

6 days to circumnavigate Iceland and see all of those sites. Forget it. You will spend so much time driving there will be no time to visit anything. Driving in Iceland takes a lot longer than you might think. The speed limit is 90km/h. (I strongly advise you don´t break it), but when you factor in stops for a respite/fuel etc it is actually more like 70km/h. The ring road is 1332 km. You are proposing to travel that distance in 6 days. Approx 230km a day. AND visit lots of sites?

I would suggest heading East from Reykjavik and make Skaftafell your ultimate destination, stopping off one night on the way there and one night on the way back. Vik and Kirkjubæjarklaustur would be good places to see.
Jul 9th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mike for your reply. From what you are suggesting, I gather that we should cover West, South & East Iceland in 7 days. However, what would be a good way to return to Reykjavik from East Fjords as we will have our return flight from Reykjavik?

Also, will it become more doable if i add 2 days and plan to cover the circle in 9 days?

Cheers
Jul 21st, 2014, 04:00 AM

Hi sorry for the late reply.

to reiterate, in 7 days I would head to the South East corner of Iceland from Reykjavik and back again. You would not have enough time to visit the West part of Iceland as well. The Vatnjökull glacier and the immediate surrounding area (Skaftafell national park) is stunning and worth spending a couple of days. The East fjords are a little further, I guess you could spend a day visiting them as well.

http://www.vatnajokulsthjodgardur.is...ns/skaftafell/

It would take about 4-5 hours to drive to Skaftafell from Reykjavik (when we did it we stopped off overnight en route..not necessary but we were in no rush). So in effect 1 day to get there, another day travelling back to the airport in Keflavik..that leaves you 5 days. Personally I would spend 3 of those in Skaftafell, another in the East fjords, and then another day checking out popular sites such as the Golden Circle either on your way there or on your way back.

9 days traveling aroun d the entire ring road is doable, but again you won´t have much time to visit the sites, I personally would allow at least 12, I guess it depends whether you don´t mind driving 3 hours a day every day..

Search this Thread