Feedback needed on holiday rentals in Dordogne, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to narrow our options on these gites in Dordogne, specifically in Sarlat which is where would like to base our vacation. Each property looks great but I haven't been able to find many independent reviews. I'd really appreciate comments from anyone who has stayed in one, knows of someone who has or would just like to offer an opinion.

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p427801 (Josephine)

http://www.villaconsuls.fr/apparteme...onsuls-en.html ( Richelieu)

http://www.sarlat-en-dordogne.com/ve..._perigord.html (Verlaine)

www.yourfriendsinfrance.org/labouquerie.html (La Berquerie)

Many thanks for your help!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM

I can see why deciding is hard for you. They all look terrific! Looking forward to hearing comments.

Did you check slowtrav.com for reviews?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM

NLspirit,
We have stayed in La Bouquerie 3 times and will return again next spring. I can't recommend it too highly - it is comfortable, well furnished, has a beautifully equipped kitchen, in a quiet, convenient location with covered parking available near by. The property managers - Susan and Harry - are friendly and helpful. We find Sarlat to be a perfect base for a vacation in the Dordogne. Enjoy!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks zoecat. It really is difficult to choose. And yes, I've checked Slow Travel ... no luck. Almost all of the cottages/gites/apartments we've rented over the years have worked out really well except the last one in Istanbul. The website was lovely (she was a professional photographer) and the apartment itself turned out okay but the location was awful. So I'm being a little more cautious this time round I guess.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi roamer. Thank you so much! Your comments are really quite helpful. It's wonderful that you have stayed there and can comment first hand. I must have been responding to zoecat when you posted. In fact, La Bouquerie is the one we're leaning towards. When I research places to stay DH often asks ... is the bed comfortable and does the bathroom have a wall mounted shower? Would you mind commenting? Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
blh

We stayed at La Villa des Consuls, the Fenelon apartment, last October. Although it was very nice, our studio was up winding stairs on 3rd floor. The Richelieu is much larger and is not on 3rd floor so I'm sure it would be better. However, it is more like staying at a hotel than in an apartment. There is a desk that is manned during the day when entering the complex. This has advantages and disadvantages. After staying in apartments and gites, we prefer to be on our own. Also, parking is a problem as you must park on the street and walk a distance depending on where you find an available place.

All of the places look very nice. Good luck deciding - I'm sure any of them would be great!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

blh ... thanks so much for commenting on your experiences. We tend to prefer independent gites as well, although Richelieu at La Villa des Consuls does look quite nice. Another point we considered, albeit a small one, is that although it has a cook top it doesn't have an oven and we enjoy having that option when we rent. I guess one can't find the 'perfect' place to suit every need ... it probably doesn't exist.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 03:46 AM

Hi NLspirit. Perhaps you'd like to contact me directly about La Bouquerie, which we manage. It does have a comfortable bed (I'm told) and I can assure you that it does have a wall mounted shower. Hope this isn't considered advertising, but it since you have questions I can answer ....
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Hi NLspirit,
Definitely a comfortable bed - very quiet surroundings, though you may be awakened by the enticing smell of fresh-baked bread from the bakery just down the lane! And, yes, as Carlux says, there is a wall mounted shower. My husband is 6'3" and he finds the shower quite comfortable - he does not like that other hand held kind! Just ask if you have other questions I might answer - or contact Carlux.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I haven't answered sooner ... I've been away from my computer. Thanks Carlux and roamer for your comments on La Bouquerie. They've been very helpful. The fresh baked bread sounds wonderful!