Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 2 Traveling to Ukraine with a travel guide
- 3 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 4 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 5 Malaga Christmas lights
- 6 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 7 Your favorite London streets for strolling?
- 8 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 9 Planning a Poland itinerary
- 10 Poland--where else to go
- 11 The World's Greatest Churches
- 12 frequent functioning, then epidermis
- 13 10 days in europe
- 14 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 15 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 16 Trans Siberian Train
- 17 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 18 GTG Paris December 2017
- 19 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 20 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 21 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 22 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 23 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 24 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 25 Greece during Easter week or August
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland