Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Feedback from Brits appreciated re: day trips from London-(Bath, Gloucester, Oxford, Cambridge)-which should I be sure not to miss and why? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/feedback-from-brits-appreciated-re-day-trips-from-london-bath-gloucester-oxford-cambridge-which-should-i-be-sure-not-to-miss-and-why-97169/)

Tammy Dec 21st, 2000 10:02 AM

Feedback from Brits appreciated re: day trips from London-(Bath, Gloucester, Oxford, Cambridge)-which should I be sure not to miss and why?

I'm considering day trips from London to either Bath, Gloucester, Cambridge, or Oxford-or possibly more than one. I'm curious if anyone has any strong feelings on what to see and how get there from London most economically.

Sue Dec 21st, 2000 01:05 PM

I'm not a Brit (evidently), but we loved Bath and the baths. We took the train, return ticket was only one pound more. But I think the trains aren't running so well due to floods, etc., and I read on one post that it's better to take a bus. I hope you get more informative answers (this will at least bring it to the top), but I did want to put in a plug for Bath.

jeannine Dec 21st, 2000 04:07 PM

I went to Cambridge. The college buildings are pretty, and the town is 'somewhat' quaint, but I felt it very touristy, and filled mostly with shops like Gap, and other chains-British and American. I thought a trip to Windsor was better, but I haven't been anywhere else.

Liz Dec 22nd, 2000 01:22 AM

Your most economic way of getting there (wherever!) is probably the coach network. www.gobycoach.co.uk

pat Dec 22nd, 2000 01:37 AM

For Oxford, there are 2 company running the coach service, the red Oxford Tube from Victoria Train station and the blue X90 from Victoria Coach station. A day trip return can be valid until midnight of the following day.

Tony Hughes Dec 22nd, 2000 01:44 AM

My vote would go to Oxford if I was pressed into choosing just one. It does it for me although I can't guarantee it will do it for you. Worth a look, though. <BR> <BR>Oh, if you do go, take a spare pair of trousers with you, you'll know why when it happens.

Kavey Dec 22nd, 2000 06:30 AM

Hey Tony <BR> <BR>You had that little unexpected accident too huh? <BR> <BR>Worth it for the laughter factor though ;) <BR> <BR>Kav

debbie Dec 22nd, 2000 09:37 AM

I spent 2 days in Bath & a day trip to Cardiff. <BR> <BR>BATH was WONDERFUL - I would definitely stay there again. <BR> <BR>If you are going for just the day - try to get there early enough for the free walking tour of the city. Very informative. It picks up by the Baths/ Abbey/ Pumphouse courtyard. <BR> <BR>p.s. if you need a b&b there , try the villa magdala.

debbie Dec 22nd, 2000 09:37 AM

I spent 2 days in Bath & a day trip to Cardiff. <BR> <BR>BATH was WONDERFUL - I would definitely stay there again. <BR> <BR>If you are going for just the day - try to get there early enough for the free walking tour of the city. Very informative. It picks up by the Baths/ Abbey/ Pumphouse courtyard. <BR> <BR>p.s. if you need a b&b there , try the villa magdala.

Mike Dec 22nd, 2000 01:51 PM

Gloucester would be a poor fourth on your list. I would go to Cheltenham rather than Gloucester, and both are getting too far away. <BR> <BR>My list would be Bath/Cambridge/Oxford, but the two universities are close. Cambridge is quainter, which is why I choose it first, but Oxford is the bigger, more bustling town. <BR> <BR>If you go to Bath, try to catch the juggling buskers outside the Pump Room if they're working.

Mark Dec 23rd, 2000 09:29 AM

Tammy, <BR> <BR>We spent four days in Oxford this past August. Had a wonderful time and I would suggest you visit yourself. Haven't been to the others, but we would go back to Oxford in a minute. Lots to do and see. If you are in to castles, check out Leeds Castle. Absolutely stunning with lovely gardens, an aviary, and a nice little golf course nearby. Probably couldn't get golf in on a day trip, but you will enjoy the rest of it. Even my two teenage sons loved it! Safe journeys.

Meg Gain Dec 26th, 2000 06:21 AM

Hi Tammy <BR>My husband organises trips for overseas students attending university here in the U.K. They always enjoy their time in Bath. The Roman Baths tour is really good with free audio guide. The town has many Jane Austen links (Jane stayed in Queens Square and many of her novels are set in or around Bath) The town is interesting- take the open-top bus tour to get your bearings. Oxford is also high on the list of favourites- with the Ashmolean and Pitt Rivers Museums as well as Christchurch and all the other colleges. Cambridge is touristy but the river setting is wonderful. Gloucester is a small town in comparison but the cathedral is stupendous and Edward II's Berkeley Castle isn't too far away. <BR>Hope this helps, Have fun

joelline Feb 11th, 2001 09:36 PM

No one has mentioned Canterbury yet! It's definitely worth the trip. You can take a guided tour or just do what I did--hop on a train and go! I spent 8 great hours there. Yes, parts are a bit touristy, but it's still a great trip. I'm also a Cambridge fan--(and find Oxford to be too much like Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! Cambridge is charming and beautiful from one end to the other. Visit the Colleges, the FitzWilliam Museum, go punting on the Cam, and don't miss King's College Chapel!

ginny Feb 12th, 2001 05:05 AM

BATH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Place!!!!!!!!!!! <BR>Sally Lunns, Roman Baths, just a wonderful place to spend a day! Easy traun ride from London.

Beth Anderson Feb 12th, 2001 05:22 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>Tony and Kavey, <BR> <BR>I am mystified, tell me what happened that you need a spare pair of trousers? (am I being completely obtuse here?) <BR> <BR>anyway... I am no Brit, but, I would recommend London Walks at www.walks.com for a day trip, if you like. They offer very reasonable guided day trips to Bath and Oxford - they call them "Explorer Days". <BR> <BR>I have used them many times now for their regular walks - almost every time I have gone to London - and they are WONDERFUL. Even if you decide NOT to do the day tour with them - I would really suggest you take a walk with them. I have also found, if you are traveling alone, it is a good way to meet nice people. <BR> <BR>I cut a little blurb from their website: <BR> <BR>The charge for an Explorer Day is £10 (£8.50 for concessions) plus rail fare and any entrance fees. Your guide will organise the train ticket and get you a discount on a Cheap Day Return ticket. Train fares plus adult entrance fees are: Bath £28; Canterbury £16.50; The Charles Dickens Christmas Festival £12.50; The London Explorer Day £14; Oxford & The Cotswolds £20; Hampton Court Palace £9.50 (£7.50 for students & senior citizens); St. Albans £6.50; Stonehenge & Salisbury £29; Windsor Castle & Eton £16. There are further reductions for senior citizens and students. Brit Rail Pass holders of course travel for free. <BR> <BR>I am not related to them in any way, nor have I ever gotten a discount beyond the typical 'frequent walkers card' so this post is on the up & up - I just think they are GREAT and a highlight of my trips... <BR> <BR>have fun! <BR> <BR>Beth

Ann Mar 2nd, 2001 07:17 AM

Hello, I need to know how to get to Cambridge after arriving at Heathrow Airport

Eva Mar 2nd, 2001 07:43 AM

Hi Ann, This is what we did to get to Cambridge from Heathrow. We took the Heathrow Express (I know, I know there are cheaper ways to get out of there but we just got off a long flight from Seattle with a layover so we were happy to pay - Plus it was brand new and we wanted to see what it was like. It was really nice but I digress.) We got to Paddington station and took the tube to Kings Cross where we got the train up to Cambridge. If there is a more direct way to Kings Cross from Heathrow I'd be very interested as we are heading there again in May. What are the cab fares from the airport to Kings Cross? Thanks

sara Mar 2nd, 2001 07:47 AM

There is a coach from the Central Heathrow Bus Station which goes to Drummer St, Cambridge (that's the main bus station in Cambridge). <BR> <BR>I think the bus stop is at Stand 9. You can buy the ticket on the bus itself or at the counter. An open return ticket costs £26. The trip takes slightly more than 2 hours. Enjoy Cambridge! It's a beautiful place.

Ann Mar 14th, 2001 07:07 AM

Hi to everyone who responded to my question about Heathrow to Cambridge, I have another - does anyone know a good B&B near Queens College, Cambridge. Thanks again to all.