Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Feedback from anyone who has flown out of JFK RECENTLY!

Oct 1st, 2001, 04:27 AM
tentative

Hi! We are scheduled to fly to Bermuda Thursday on an 8:30 a.m. flight out of JFK. Has anyone flown an early morning int'l flight in the past week out of JFK? What was the experience like? What time should we REALLY get there and are you allowed to be dropped off in front of the terminal or must you take a shuttle. Do they allow private cars to drop off or just taxi's or limo's? Thanks so much for your help everyone.

Oct 1st, 2001, 06:21 AM
tentative

Anyone???

Oct 1st, 2001, 06:47 AM
barbara

wondering the same thing for Baltimore Washington Int'l. BWI is experiencing lots of delays I hear, perhaps making up for closure of Washington National. Also, I hear they are starting to permit curb-side check in at Dulles today and may do same for BWI soon. Good idea or not?

Oct 1st, 2001, 09:24 AM
tentative

I take it from the lack of responses that indeed people are not traveling!

Oct 1st, 2001, 12:48 PM
tentative

If at first you don't succeed.....

Oct 1st, 2001, 12:54 PM
Vita

People that have flown out of JFK recently might not be back from their trips yet.

Oct 1st, 2001, 01:02 PM
tentative

True Vita, I was hoping that someone might have spoken to a friend or relative who might have relayed their experience departing from JFK. OK, let me revise my question and ask if anyone has departed since the attack, and what changes there were in their departure since before September 11th? I quess I'm wondering if it's really necessary to be there at 5:30 a.m.

Oct 1st, 2001, 02:26 PM
ohoh

I think I'd be there by 5:30AM. We're supposed to be 4 hours early to fly out of BWI, and that is because it takes a good 2hours or more just to get through the check-in lines. You're lucky if you can "sing that song" in 3 hours.

Oct 1st, 2001, 02:28 PM
ohoh

whoops. blew that reference...meant to say "name that tune" never mind, it wasn't very good. Still you are getting off on what sounds like a super-relaxing trip that is awfully tempting at this point in time. I'd be there at midnight just to get away! Have a good time.

Oct 1st, 2001, 03:16 PM
Escritora

Tentative--I, too, have an 8:30 am flight, though on Aeromexico and later this month. And I, too, was told to be there by 5:30. My first reaction was that this was a little ridiculous--how long could the lines be at that hour?--and that arriving at 6:00 would be adequate. But you know what? The difference between leaving my house at 5:00 v 5:30 really isn't going to matter to me. It's going to be gruesome either way! I'm going to get there at 5:30. But I'm not gonna be smiling...

Oct 1st, 2001, 03:24 PM
s.fowler

Ecritora -- you made me laugh out loud My sentiments exactly.

Oct 1st, 2001, 05:47 PM
Diane

I gotta agree - I'm going to see my Mom in Florida for her birthday. It was hard to find a flight that doesn't leave before 7AM. I just couldn't see hitting BWI at 3AM. Now I've got an 8:15 flight and I think I'll chance it going "just" 3 hrs early. Assuming my flights aren't cancelled by then (that happened to a Chicago trip two weekends ago) Fortunately I was notified a couple days in advance.

Oct 1st, 2001, 05:56 PM
M&J

Can't help with JFK but last week we flew out of Portland, Maine. Okay, very small compared to JFK. Arrived 2 hours early and could have arrived 60 minutes with no problem. It was a Sunday morning, early, for a 7:40am departure.
We skipped the hotel breakfast to have those two hours---wish we had had the breakfast! Later this month we will be flying out of Providence,RI, and will let ya know. We do bring books/magazines to read in case there is waiting.

Oct 1st, 2001, 06:56 PM
tentative

You're lucky Escritora, I have to leave my house at 4:00 a.m. to get there by 5:30!! I won't be smiling either, or pretty!

Oct 1st, 2001, 07:39 PM
hope

My husband called me a few hrs ago from JFK: before he flew to Frankfurt @8:15 pm on Lufthansa. He said the airport was relatively empty. He arrived 3 hrs early for his departure instead of the usuual 2. He was upgraded (every traveler's dream!) to business class from economy, thought he usually flies business class, and is a "Lufthansa Gold" (or something)card-carrying member.