Feed the Family In Rome

Nov 18th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Feed the Family In Rome

Wanted: Information on a realistic food budget for 3 days/2 nights in Rome. We (hubby, myself and 3 kids (14,11 and 11)) will be travelling end of May, first week of June. We'll be in London the first 3 days, then to West Yorkshire for 4 days (visit family and attend a wedding) then off to Rome for 3 days before flying back to the states. I'm one of those people who likes to have all her ducks in a row, and since the budget will be somewhat limited, I want to make sure that we don't end up short. Rather have money to play with at the end of the trip than eat sandwiches 3 meals a day for the last couple of days!!

While I'm at it.....any information on 'family' hotels in both London and Rome would be great. By family, I mean somewhere that a 'family' can be in the same room. I'm having a very hard time finding rooms like this. We have pretty much accepted the fact that one kid will be assigned to the floor in each city, and we'll have to 'sneak' a kid into each hotel. I think it's nuts to have to get two rooms for a family of 5. Maybe it's just me, who knows?! Anyone who might be able to shed some light on the 'sneaking in of a child' to the Express by Holiday Inn in London-Croydon and also Rome-East, please let me know!

I've never posted a message before, but love to sit and read other postings.....Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts and ideas!!
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Oh my poor dear naive luvbucks, you have opened a can of worms in this post without your even realizing it. The subject of sneaking a child into a hotel room has been discussed here before, and most posters come down firmly aginst it. I bet you could find these posts if you do a search. Some actually deal with the logisitics of how you will sneak that extra child in and out for a few days, and conclude that it won't be easy, and might even send the wrong message to your children.

I am not sure but I think that if you find a quad room you might be able for a small additional fee to request a cot for the 5th child. In Rome, we have a reservation for the Canali ai Coronari and they do have quad rooms. Good luck!
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Welcome to the Fodors Forum Luvbucs!

In Rome you will find plenty of places where you can eat without spending an arm and a leg. There are many pizza places where you can get pizza by the slice. There are also trattorias which are more simple restaurants that offer good food. Some have a MENU'FISSO (fixed menu) and they show it outside the restaurant or the trattoria. The menu' fisso is cheaper than the a la carte one. There is a good pizza plaxe near Trevi Fountain (having the fountain in front of you, take the little road on its left, there are a few tables and the pizza is so good!).
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:31 AM

You won't be able to sneak a kid into a hotel room. Hotel staff are trained to know who's going and coming. And how foolish will you feel when you're caught?
As for food budget, I usually figure 3-5 euros per person for breakfast, about 10 euros apiece for lunch, and (assuming eating in family-friendly inexpensive places) about 15-20 euros for dinner. You could do it for less, but with three kids there will be the inevitable stops for a cold drink, gelato, etc. Watch out for the drinks - the cost of sodas in particular can be a killer.
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

OK........forget anything you might have read about 'sneaking a kid in'.....besides hostels that have rooms with 5-6 beds in them, if anyone has any suggestions for a family room that will hold 5 people, that would be great....

Thanks to the great ideas so far!
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that they got a hotel room for five at Hotel Panda near the Spanish Steps. I don't know anything about the hotel except that it is a budget option.

You might also like to consider convents and other lodging related to religious orders.

Thinking about how small European hotel rooms typically are, there's no way I'd want to try to shoehorn an extra person in!
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:27 AM

I stongly suggest you look through this website: good, basic, hotels that have been personally visited by the people at the website. All are carefully selected for quality and price.

http://www.eurocheapo.com/
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Welcome to the board! Your trip sounds great. Looking for quads that will let you pay for an extra cot might be OK?

Hotels usually have people staffing the front desk, they are going to notice you're a family of 5, not 4. I'd be upfront with them and ask if they will let a kid stay for free sleeping on the floor, if that's the route you want to go.
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Here's a start on lodging at convents, although there's a lot more information on the board.

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:30 AM

For hotels, we stayed in a family room in ROme at the Snata CHiara. It was actually a 2 room suite with 1 bathroom. There were 4 of us. They may be able to add a rollaway, you can email them and ask. In London we had 2 interconnected rooms at the Cranley Gardens hotel in So. Kens. The rooms in London were on the small side. The ROme hotel was a little bigger, but we had to share 1 bathroom. I strongly suggest you email hotels, and ask about the availibility of family rooms. Many hotels only have 1 or 2 such rooms, and don't mention them on websites. They are usually for 4, but maybe can add a rollaway. The floor idea could be tricky given the typically small hotel rooms in Europe.

A great inexpensive dinner place in ROme is Mario's in Trastevere (Via Del Moro). I was taken there by locals over 20 yrs again, somehow I found it again on this recent trip with my family. The food was some of the best we had in Italy (we didn't eat at any fancy places).
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:45 AM

http://www.comfortitalia.com/rome_apartments.htm

daily and weekly rates
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I have to think some people on this board have travelled with a family of your size. You might post another message with a title asking about family rooms. I think it would be much too stressful (and perhaps unsuccessful) to try to sneak a child in.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Melissajoy

Try Residence Adler at Via Modena 5 in Rome. They have a "Quint" room with a private bath for 5 people. www.hoteladler-roma.com Good luck. I have travelled for years with our family of 5. I used to put everyone in 1 room when the kids were small. Now they are older teens and I get 2 rooms because it gives us 2 bathrooms and gives everyone some much-needed privacy.

Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:22 AM

If our family of 5 had to be shoehorned into 1 hotel room, I wouldn't call it a vacation and would prefer to stay home. After walking around for many hours seeing the sights, the kid who has to sleep on the floor will be pretty cranky. If you want to save money, don't travel to major cities, and London and Rome are obviously two of the world's major tourist destinations, and expect to stay cheaply--go to a smaller city instead. If you go to Rome anyway, you can save by not staying in the tourist heart of the city. Hotels in Rome, which have small rooms even at upscale properties, charge a substantial premium to go from double to triple. Also, IMHO, when you're trying to make the most of limited time in a special place, it's frustrating for parents to have to share a bathroom with 3 kids. Finally, I think it's sort of inconsiderate of the hotel keeper to "sneak" an extra kid into the room without paying, and teaches your kids the wrong kind of lesson. Then you'll need to request a bigger stack of towels; the maid will have to work harder to straighten up the untidiness of a family of 5 in a double room . . . the whole thing would ruin the trip for me. Naturally a family of 5 is budget-conscious. But there are compromises you can make that would allow you to have the comfort of 2 rooms.
Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:35 AM

I am giving a bit of thought to the idea of going all the way from London to Rome for 3 days and 2 nights. If I understand correctly you will be traveling a large part of day 1, spend day 2 seeing Rome, and leave on day 3 (most flights to the states leave very early in the morning). In reality, you have, at most, a little over one day to see Rome. You may want to reconsider going all that way for one full day and think about someplace nearer that would leave you more time to enjoy.
I don't mean to discourage you, just to give you some food for thought. Rome is a fabulous city.
And, to answer one of the questions you asked, many hotels in Italy include breakfast, you can get sandwiches to eat in the park at lunch and there are plenty of places where you can get pasta or pizza for dinner reasonably.
Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:58 AM
jay

try the hotel des artistes in rome for the 5 person roon. personally i think that rome is much easier to find budget eating places than London is. for 5 people i would say 80e for dinner would be appropriate provided you don't drink too much vino. lunch and breakfast can be much less expensive i.e. pizza deli etc. London is very expensive. for three we generally spent 45P for dinner for 3.
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Have you thought of renting an apartment? There are some beautiful ones with kitchen, etc. And you won't have to sneak anyone in.
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:11 PM

This isn't a budget restaurant but I recommend Orso 80 on Via dei Orso near Piazza Navonna- often recommended on this site- because you can order just the antipasti for your family and they will bring bowls of all different types of wonderful foods- marinated mozzarella balls, beans, vegetables, fish, meatballs, frittata (omelette), wonderful flat bread. It is an great eating experience and a great deal in the end.

Search this Thread