Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fee Charged for posting to facebook (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fee-charged-for-posting-to-facebook-935506/)

ashcanannie May 17th, 2012 05:38 AM

Fee Charged for posting to facebook

I will be in Spain for 2 weeks, then Ireland for another week. Not sure yet whether or not to bother taking my notebook computer. I'm assuming that there is ample Internet access via cafes. But one question has come up...is there an additional charge for posting to facebook? Some kind of data access plan?? Maybe that refers to folks using their phone to post. Just not sure. Who wants to set me straight?? Thanks!

jamikins May 17th, 2012 05:44 AM

The charge would be for using the internet, not posting on any websites.

Tony2phones May 17th, 2012 06:27 AM

You are charged on the phone as it is effectively a text message when roaming. or so I am led to believe by my daughter when she visits.

jamikins May 17th, 2012 06:34 AM

As far as I have experienced, if you hook into the cafes wifi you will only be charged usually a flat rate, or in many places it is free (McDonalds, Starbucks) when you buy something.

The same is true for iPhones or iPads.

hetismij2 May 17th, 2012 06:39 AM

Facebook are considering charging for certain types of posting, but it won't affect you on holiday. You may pay a small fee for internet access or it may be free, but you won't be charged per post.

allisonm May 17th, 2012 06:45 AM

I have taken my netbook with me just to avoid the inconvenience of looking for an internet cafe. Now I take my ipad. Most hotels and b&bs provide wireless internet that you can use for free. You can also hook into the wireless with a phone, just turn off the phone network and use wifi only.

A couple of b&bs on our last visit to Ireland had computers available for guests to use. (That was in Westport and Ardara.)

ParisAmsterdam May 17th, 2012 06:59 AM

Because of the popularity of netbooks, tablets and smartphones internet cafes with computers to rent are getting more and more scarce. Take your own netbook.

ggreen May 17th, 2012 07:10 AM

hetismij2, that's not exactly true as you've written it: Facebook is considering charging a small fee ONLY for those users who want to promote their posts to be more prominent on others' news feeds. So far it's only being tested in New Zealand. Here's an article from the BBC on it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18033259

To the OP, Facebook claims it will always be free to use by its members. So the answer to your question is NO.

To clarify about data access: On a computer, it is generally not relevant (unless you purchase data via a mobile broadband device, which you won't need if you're only using the netbook casually, where you find wifi). On a mobile device -- phone or tablet -- a service plan typically includes voice, messaging (text) and data <i>if you choose it</i>. If you have a data plan, every time you access the internet (email, mobile web browser, apps), it will count against that plan.

As for Tony2phones' daughter, she is correct IF she uses Facebook's "text to post" feature. However, if she is using the Facebook app or views Facebook on the mobile web browser, she IS using data.

hetismij2 May 17th, 2012 07:40 AM

Which is what I said - for certain types of posts. I didn't specify what type, but I did say it had no affect on OP.
She may have heard of the story and be worried that it applied to her.

ashcanannie May 17th, 2012 09:30 AM

Thanks! The best I can figure out, the answer to my question is that I don't have to worry. I am leaning more towards taking my notebook, because I'm wondering how few and far between Internet Cafes are these days. On the other hand, a good part of the reason for heading out of the country is to disconnect from "the everyday world." Thanks to each for taking the time to reply!

jamikins May 17th, 2012 10:12 AM

You are more likely to get online using a free wifi spot at cafes etc. I have found many paying internet cafes have gone because free wifi is readily available. Not exactly sure in Ireland and Spain but your hotels may be able to confirm it!

Have fun!

lincasanova May 17th, 2012 10:29 AM

Internet shops are plentiful still here, but more off the beaten tourist track where rents are cheaper and there are plenty of immigrants to use their services. Another service which you may find nice is you can call home on a regular phone there with super cheap rates. These places are called "locutorios",

They not only have internet but sell phone calls from booths and are a wonderful way to give someone at home a surprise. There's nothing like a traditional phone call!