Reload this Page >

Fed Ex Your Luggage Ahead of You?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Nancy

I saw Peter Greenberg on a morning show today and he suggested packing your luggage, tagging it, having American Express pick it up at your home and sent a few days before you leave for Europe. Your bags will arrive the day before or of your arrival and you don't have to deal with luggage on the plane.<BR><BR>Has anyone done this, sounds good to me and the prices start at $20.00 a bag.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Jen

Sounds like just as much trouble as checking luggage, and more expensive to boot.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Tillie

I dont think it is more trouble if fed ex did come right to your home. I can afford the difference in price as compared to convenience.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Janice

It's very convenient, but I've never seen it cost $20. I've paid more like $100...

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Bob

Work's like a charm. I travel frequently to warm and cold climates in the winter. Have two sets of luggage and send ahead based on upcoming week's schedule and need - sweaters or golf shirts.<BR><BR>Also have done it on ski trips - FedEX and UPS have custom ski tubes (boxes) to ship your skis in. Beats schleping them through airports, rental car buses, etc.<BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:58 PM
janis

It definitely costs more than $20 per bag to Europe. More like $75-$100 from the east coast and even more from the west coast.<BR><BR>If the cost is not and issue for you, it works well. But I prefer to pack light instead and avoid checking or shipping . . . .

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Christina

I think this is an example of people with very different lives than I do. I'm sure it would cost more than $20, have you ever priced Fedex just domestically? There isn't any way Fedex is going to ship your bag to Europe plus AmEx make a trip to pick it up at your house for $20 total per bag--maybe for a small envelope or package that is a second piece to something else. Also, you have to be completely packed several days ahead (oh yeah, I do that) and sitting around the house waiting for AmEx to pick it up. I work for a living and don't have help at home to do that.<BR><BR>I don't really understand the Fedex and AmEx thing, but these services have cost about $100 or more a bag when I've seen them (one of them used to advertise on here, Virtualbellhop). I can understand it for business travelers with a lot of things to lug around or the skiing, golfing, thing, but just for a regular suitcase on a vacation? I don't understand it, all you have to do it go in the airport and stand in line a little until you turn over your bag, what's the big deal about that? Also, without baggage, you are probably going to be subject of more scrutiny at the airports, searches, etc.<BR><BR> I don't really like Peter Greenberg, either, I'll be honest, I think he's sort of goofy and doesn't have very many original or innovative ideas.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Lee

How could you call Peter Greenburg "goofy"? Of all the words I could use for him, goofy surely isn't one of them. What makes you say that?<BR>He makes alot of sense to me.<BR>I would use Amer Ex if I were staying in one place for a while, such as a villa, where you would want to pack more than the usual.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:42 PM
xxx

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!<BR>I have had much misery and expense with shipping to/from Europe, worse since 9/11. DHL and FEDEX are equally bad.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Julia

I actually had to deal with shipping my boss's clothes and vacation gear via Fedex to Mexico on a recent trip - it was more pain than it was worth. They held it up in customs for 3 days. Unless you're accustomed to shipping internationally and dealing with customs, don't do it!!!! Interestingly enough, there was no problem shipping them back... strange...

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:56 PM
xxx2

Nancy,<BR>DON'T DO IT, #2!!!!!! I tried it this summer-sent a box of clothes to my hotel in Europe via UPS (Mail Boxes assured me UPS was the cheapest way to go). Well, Mail Boxes forgot to enclose all the proper papers, billed me twice, and the box got tied up in customs for 2 entire weeks. Boxes sent from the US *almost* always get tied up in customs in certain European countries, at the very minimum for a few days. Constant phone calls back and forth, consternation (I HAD to have the clothes for an important job), and a very hefty bill. Don't want to admit exactly what that med. size box cost me to ship (was a business expense), but I'll own up to well over $100! <BR>Sending clothes/books back, on the other hand, via DHL was a breeze, and half the price. They arrived the very next day.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:55 PM
xxx

It cost me over $20 just to send a check by FedEx envelope. I can just imagine how much it'll cost to send your luggage! Is it worth it?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:56 PM
xxx

Sorry, my check was sent from San Francisco to Paris via FedEx that's why it cost over $20.