February honeymoon trip to Italy

Dec 22nd, 2012, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

February honeymoon trip to Italy

Hi ,

I am planning a 10 night honeymoon trip to Italy during mid of feb ....
I am from India . Reaching Milan at around 2 o clock at noon
I plan to visit the following places and below are the details ..
I have taken a 5 day rail pass for italy
Question : Does it mean I can travel in any class ?
Is it applicable for any five days and across all regions
Is local metro travel also included in the rail pass
1> 2 nights at Milan .
Activities
Day1 --Half day for shopping at Milan
Day2 --- Guided coach and walking tour of the historical city centre of Milan, passing many of Milan's most important monuments. Visit the Duomo and see Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece - The Last Supper.
Question : What is the best place to shop within a limited budget ?
any places where I should particularly go at milan during mid feb ?
Day 3 -- Travel from Milan to Pisa by train early morning . It takes around 4 hours to reach pisa .
Question : Are the trains crowded to board
2 > 1 night at Pisa
Activities
a) Visiting Leaning tower of Pisa after dropping luggage at hotel .
Question : do we have sufficient time on day 3 to visit leaning tower of pisa ?
Do we need to book tickets beforehand to get into the tower
Day 4-6 --- Travel from Pisa to L'aquilla by train
3 nights at L'aquilla . Plan to visit national park one day and skiing another day.
Question : Is National parks open at feb .
Is there any other place to visit nearby L'aquila other than the town

Day 7-8 -- Travel by train from L'aquilla to Perguia . 2 days at perugia
Question : How is the weather here at feb ?
Day 8-9 -- Evening train from Perugia to Rome
Question : Will there be sufficient time for perugia and will termini station at rome be safe at around 9 o clock at night.
Day 9
Full day Monumental and Ancient Rome9 hrs tour
Day 10 : Take flight at night....
Question : Please suggest what are the best places to visit nearby termini station .

Regards ,
Ankur
Dec 23rd, 2012, 02:17 AM

Hello Ankur,

May I make a suggestion? Since you want to go skiing, your trip would be much easier if you went skiing in the Dolomiti rather than near L'Aquila. Is that possible or have you already paid for something in L'Aquila?

Because if you are coming from Milan, you can take fast trains to go up to the Dolomiti area and after that go to Venice or Verona, both of which are very beautiful honeymoon destinations. And from there you can take a fast train to Rome. Also, the Dolomiti mountains are very beautiful and have lots of comfortable places to stay.

You will probably get better answers about skiing and good places to do it in Italy in February if you go to a ski message board. You can find them with a google search.

Is there a particular reason you want to go to Perugia? It is pretty cold and icy in Perugia in February, and it is not easy to go there using trains and buses.

Right now your trip zig-zags east and west in Italy, going to isolated places that are not well connected to each other by train. If the weather turns bad, and trains are delayed, you could find yourself spending a lot of time in cold train stations. I don't recommend renting a car.

What is most important for you and your new spouse to see and do in Italy for your honeymoon. Is it to go to Perugia? Go skiing? See Pisa? It is very hard to combine all of those things in February. I suggest you start with the most important one and figure out things from there. If you really don't need to go skiing, or see Pisa, it would be best if you didn't try to go this trip.

I suggest that if your budget is limited, you save your shopping until you get to Rome. They have the same shops, and then you don't have to carry everything your whole trip.
Dec 23rd, 2012, 04:34 AM

First - no - a rail pass is not for any class - it is only for the class you paid for. Did you by a first-class ticket? In Feb, trains are unlikely to be crowded.

You have picked some rather unusual stops for a first trip to Italy - assuming that's what this is.

Pisa has the leaning tower and a few other standard sights - but is a second rank city to visit - as is Perugia. And agree that if you want to be sure of skiing the dolomites are a better choice and more sure to have substantial real snow.

Except for the mountains - where real winter cold is expected the other parts of Italy can be wintry or less chilly - if you head to Rome you might get highs as much as 50 - or you may also get cold and snow.

Agree that you need to decide what your real must sees are. IMHO it takes at least 3 full days (4 nights) to see much of Rome which is a a large, spread-out city with dozens of major sights.

And don't even consider limiting your dining to the area near the train station. The best way to see Rome is by foot and you should eat where you see locals eating for a true Roman dining experience.
Dec 23rd, 2012, 09:16 AM

Your itinerary involves a little backtracking. At a minimum, you should put Perugia ahead of L'Aquila.

How important is it for you to ski for only one day? You'd have to bring specific clothing just for the one day, find and rent equipment, etc. If skiing is a priority, I'd look for a destination more proximate to the rest of your itinerary or change the itinerary to put you closer to skiing. There are ski resorts in the mountains above Lake Como, but you'd have to investigate the transportation options to see if it makes any more sense than the long train rides to and from L'Aquila.
Dec 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM

In answer to some of your other questions...

The trains are not particularly crowded, but there is always a rush to board. You can join the crowd, or you can wait a few minutes until some people have boarded.

You need timed reservations to climb the Leaning Tower. If you're carrying any bags, umbrellas, etc., you'll have to check those before you enter the Tower.

Rome Termini will be safe at that time, but you should exercise the normal levels of caution that you would in any crowded place.
Dec 23rd, 2012, 09:59 AM

I will not comment on any of the destinations, but the number of them. You are going for 10 days, and plan 5 different destinations. That means about 2 nights in each place, and that includes the transfer from one place to the other (assuming everything goes as planned, no snow storms or no train workers’ strike).

I think you should take the advice from above, and decide what’s important to you. Considering this is your honeymoon and you are coming from India (jet lagged and probably tired after the wedding), I suggest you slow down and enjoy 2-3 places only.
I assume Milan and Rome are set in stone because of the flights, so do these 2 and add something else in the middle. Whatever you decide, have a great trip and congrats!
Dec 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM

With the number of newly weds from India, honeymooning in Italy in February, there could be a dedicated lounge ... Is February the end of the season for dry and sunny weddings?

Seconding xyz's suggestions: Maybe Milan, Florence, and Rome. Easy trains, and an amazing amount of things to see and do, regardless of weather. You can take a half-day trip from Florence to Pisa, which was a surprising highlight of our trip. And, yes, go shopping in Rome so you aren't schlepping extra stuff along the way.

Also, Walks of Italy's "Pristine Sistine" tour is awesome.
http://www.walksofitaly.com/tour_boo...l_listing/6/43

Congratulations; have a great trip.
Dec 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM

The number of places you are trying to visit is about three times too many. Considering the travel time between places you will end up with about 1 or 1.5 days in each locations. That's not fun. And it's certainly not a relaxing honeymoon.

The places you have chosen are "abnormal," though you may have your reasons. Why Pisa? Why Perugia? Why Aquila? I mean, they're great places to visit, but most people would go to Italy about 20 times before they'd go to Aquila.