Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Feb. 28 - Mar. 01 : what's happening in Sevilla to justify quoted EXTRA rate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything special happening in Sevilla to justify being quoted an EXTRA rate (just short of Feria prices...) for an apartment in Sevilla for the last week-end of February? I'm stumped. Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 11:44 AM

This is only a guess, but might there be something going on prior to beginning of Lent, such as we know Mardi Gras?
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Sorry, dianeg, I'm stumped too. This is a perfect question for Olga, but I think she's off enjoying her month long vacation on the coast. It must be one time special event. I checked the program calendar on the www.andalucia.org site for those dates, but they don't have anything listed yet. You could ask city hall-send an email on the www.sevilla.org site, or pose your question on the andalucia.com forum. There's Carnaval in Cádiz but didn't know it effected Seville's hotel prices...
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks grandmere and Maribel! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one stumped - I did quite the search before I posted.

Here's a clue, quoted in brackets next to the rate quoted:
"P. Andalucía"
- maybe the "P." comes from the word "oportunista"...;-)
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:24 PM

P=puente, as in official gov't long weekend?
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

If you're right Maribel, I wonder what other impact would the long week-end have on Sevilla?? Closed banks, car rental offices & stores?
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 01:12 PM

dianeg,
I do *think* it's the official regional gov't holiday, long weekend. While banks & correos will be closed, stores, bars & restaurants, sites, rental car agencies should be wide open. Even during Holy Week (except for Maundy Thursday-Good Friday), we found most places very much open for business.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Hi dianeg and all
It's only a guess but, 2004 is a leap year there is a Feb 29th!!
Good guess, maybe??

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Hi Diane,
as Maribel says, the 28th of February is the regional bank holiday. If it is a long weekend, it is normal for them to raise the prices. Everybody (except shops and touristic places) will have a welcomed short break ...

Rgds, Cova
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Here's an update:

I followed up on Maribel's suggestion and e-mailed the municipality's tourism office ([email protected]). They were very prompt with their response!

They consulted their almanac and confirmed that Feb. 28th is a regional holiday - "Día de Andalucia". They explained that since it falls on a Saturday next year, that week-end will be just like any other, except for the normal closures that fiesta day. In addition, the tourism office still considers that week-end to be in the "temporada baja".

I have sent them the coordinates of who had quoted me such high prices and will be renting elsewhere.

They also will be sending me by overseas mail a tourist information paquet and a map of the historical center. I gather that this is a service that they provide to incoming tourists who request this. So, if you have time before you leave to receive this kind of paquet - contact them at the e-mail address that I posted above.