Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   FCO to the Amalfi? How much? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fco-to-the-amalfi-how-much-502131/)

rbnwdln Feb 8th, 2005 08:56 AM

FCO to the Amalfi? How much?

I was quoted a price of 375E each way to Positano for 4 people by a limo service. Yikes. Can someone help me out with how this compares to trains/busses from the Rome airport to Positano? Thanks so much. Gen

buongiorno Feb 8th, 2005 10:12 AM

Why don't you fly into Naples, it's about 3 hours south of Rome

ira Feb 8th, 2005 10:49 AM

Hi rbn,

Train schedules and prices are at www.trenitalia.com/en.

1cl on the ES* (most expensive is 32E.

From there you take the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento (about 6E) and the SITA bus to Positano (about 3E).

Dayle Feb 8th, 2005 10:52 AM

I just checked for my own trip and Alitalia one way was 137E.

Also received quotes by a Rome limo service for 340E and by a Naples service, 300E. Not doable for a solo traveler!

rbnwdln Feb 8th, 2005 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. Can't fly into Naples. Already booked in and out of Rome. Does Ryanair or another carrier fly between Rome and Naples or would it be more of a pain than it is worth? We'd end up training to Sorrento and bussing to Positano anyway, no?

ellenem Feb 8th, 2005 12:33 PM

Decide if making life easier is worth money to you. Add up ira's costs (32 + 6 + 3 = 41) Add to that another 10 euro per person or so to take the train from Rome airport to the Rome train station. That totals about 51 euro per person times 4 people = 204 euro.

Yes, this is cheaper BUT

You will have to drag your luggage to the train at the airport; drag luggage onto train up steep narrow steps; drag luggage off the train; drag luggage through train stations at Rome; drag onto and off train again; another trrain station in Naples with change of levels to commuter line; deal with luggage on small commuter rail line with no baggage racks; transfer to bus and deal with luggage again. Drag luggage around in Positano.

Is it worth $100-170 euro extra (25-43 per person) to travel door to door?

It's your decision. . .

Huitres Feb 8th, 2005 12:49 PM

Why not take the train? It's been mentioned already and is a much more economical alternative to an intra-Europe flight. What Ira suggested is the best route to go. It really isn't that bad, plus you get to experience Italy firsthand, rather than in the backseat of a limo!

ira Feb 8th, 2005 12:54 PM

Thanks ellenem,

I forgot about the 9.5E to Rome.

Melissa5 Feb 8th, 2005 02:58 PM

We paid 450 euros for a full day excursion (9-hour day) from Rome to Sorrento (not far from Positano) during high season. This was for a full-day excursion for 5 people and luggage in an air-conditioned mini-van with a driver, with stops to see Vesuvius and Pompeii.

Why don't you spend 1 night in Rome, and then get your transporation to Positano the next day? Or spend several nights in rome and then do Positano?

cpi Feb 8th, 2005 03:40 PM

This question was posted on Trip Advisor and it was suggested to take Eurostar from Rome to Salerno and hire a limo(DriveAmalfi)to Positano.

ira Feb 8th, 2005 03:44 PM

>it was suggested to take Eurostar from Rome to Salerno and hire a limo to Positano. <

>It is less expensive, if you hire a driver, to train to Naples.<

rbnwdln Feb 8th, 2005 06:38 PM

Train to Naples and then a limo to Positano? Where does one get a limo/driver in Naples? Price? Thanks.

kybourbon Feb 8th, 2005 07:00 PM

If you are traveling in summer you can take the Marozzi bus from Rome to Sorrento for 19E.

ira Feb 9th, 2005 07:00 AM

Hi rbnwdln
>Where does one get a limo/driver in Naples? Price? Thanks.<

We used Renato Cuomo, and were pleased with the service. About 90E ea way.

Limousine Service Sorrento
www.cuomonet.it

Also, francesco_m ([email protected])has started his own business. He might give you a better price.

((I))

sallycoba Feb 9th, 2005 08:24 AM

Read Thonglori's post before you even consider using Renato Cuomo's Limo service.

Gerardo Feb 9th, 2005 08:43 AM

The ride from Salerno to Positano is of course cheaper than from Naples.Salerno is also a much nicer station to arrive at.

ellenem Feb 9th, 2005 09:50 AM

Still, for me, I would consider who these 4 people are. Children? Senior? The Packing-Challenged? Whichever route you choose, make sure everyone is well-informed and prepared to handle their own luggage.

GAC Feb 9th, 2005 10:12 AM

Here's how I would do this:

1. Take airporter train non-stop from Fiumicino Airport to Termini Station in Rome (travel time 32 mins.): 9.50 Euros per person;

2. Take an Eurostar Italia (ES) or an Intercity (IC) train from Rome Termini to SALERNO (Not Naples): 25.31 Euros in second class ES or 19.32 Euros in second class IC. First class not necessary. Travel time 2 hrs. 31 mins.

3. Take the ferry boat from Salerno direct to Positano in one hour for 6 Euros.

Total cost per person: 40.81 Euros or 34.82 Euros.

Dayle Feb 9th, 2005 10:57 AM

Hi GAC,

Always so glad to hear your great advice! I know you posted a web site for the Amalfi Coast ferries/hydrofoils long ago. Can you post it again?

I am also planning the trip from FCO to Positano. Which route would you recommend given all the waiting times between various modes of transportation?

On my first trip, I trained from Florence to Salerno, then bused from Salerno to Praiano. Very long day!

I have also bused, Circumvesuviana, trained from Praiano to Rome. Also very time consuming.

I'm hoping to make it as easy and short as possible. Anxious to get to Positano and relax after the overnight flight from Utah!

Grazie!

Eloise Feb 9th, 2005 11:02 AM

Dayle: If you would READ GAC's post, you would see that what he has given is his suggestion for FCO to Positano.

Do you want him to repeat it for you personally?