Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   FCO to Roma Termini (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fco-to-roma-termini-1008740/)

Masterphil Mar 17th, 2014 12:58 PM

FCO to Roma Termini

I arrive at FCO from Frankfurt at 6:15pm.

I have to collect bags from Baggage Claim.

I am thinking about catching an 8:45pm train from Roma Termini to Salerno.

Is that feasible?

Upon arriving in Salerno, wondering if we should just hotel near train station in Salerno and head to Amalfi next day or proceed to a hotel in Amalfi that night?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input!

ira Mar 17th, 2014 01:08 PM

Hi M,

The schedule for Aeroporto Fiumicino --> Roma Termini is at www.bahn.de

I don't think that you will make the 20:45 train.

It's about 15 min from the baggage area to the train station, and there is about a 15 min walk from where the Leonardo da Vinci express stops at Roma Termini to the head of the tracks where you get your train.

((I))

Jean Mar 17th, 2014 01:14 PM

I assume you mean to train from the airport to Termini which means catching the 7:38p departure from FCO. In theory, you'd have enough time, but everything that day up to 8:45p would have to go as scheduled.

How were you going to go from Salerno to Amalfi? At that time, I would think either taxi or private driver are your only options. Will the reception desk at your Amalfi hotel be open at that hour?

Rubicund Mar 17th, 2014 01:19 PM

If your flight lands on time, by the time you get your bags it will probably be no earlier than around 7:15pm (allowing time for taxiing to terminal, waiting to get off, walking to claim hall via immigration etc.) Once you have your bags, a taxi into the station will take 45 mins or thereabouts, so the 8:45 is doable, if everything runs OK, starting with plane arrival time.

Rome to Salerno is if I remember rightly, a further couple of hours on the train. So it's now 10:45pm. I have a feeling that the last bus is around 9pm to Amalfi, but I may be wrong. If so, to get to Amalfi is a bus along the AC which will take an hour and a half or so, making it at least 12:30am or so, allowing for waiting for a bus.

Is this too late to check in to your hotel? Bear in mind that you probably will want something to eat at some point, so I think I'd stay in Salerno and travel in the morning. The alternative is a taxi from Salerno which I think should cost between €45 and €50.

annhig Mar 17th, 2014 01:23 PM

personally, i think that there is far too much that can go wrong with this plan.

i would book a hotel near Termini and catch my train to Salerno in the morning.

what can be so bad with a night in Rome?

bvlenci Mar 17th, 2014 01:32 PM

You have a fairly good chance of catching that train if your flight arrives on time. You won't have immigration, as you're coming from Frankfurt. I think the walk to the train station is a bit longer than 15 minutes, as you're coming from Terminal 1 or 2, but it's not much longer.

Buy your tickets all the way to Salerno from the travel agent directly across from the ticket window. (The ticket office only sells tickets to central Rome now.) You will have a ticket to Termini station, and another for Rome Termini station to Salerno.

Take the Leonardo da Vinci train to Termini station, making sure to stamp your ticket before boarding the train.

The Leonardo da Vinci train now arrives in the main part of Termini station, so there is no longer a long walk to the departure tracks for long-distance trains. Look on the electronic arrivals board for your train, checking the departure time and train number. I think the train terminates in Salerno, but I'm not sure, which is why the departure time and train number are important. Both will be printed on your ticket. Your carriage and seat number are also printed on the ticket.

I seriously doubt there is any way to continue to Amalfi that evening, as you would arrive in Salerno after 10 PM. I think your only way to get to Amalfi that late would be by taxi.

I wouldn't buy your tickets before arriving at the airport, if that's what you're considering, unless you're willing to take the risk of losing the money they cost. Even the full-price tickets are worthless an hour after the scheduled departure time, while discounted tickets can't be exchanged at all on the day of travel.

Masterphil Mar 17th, 2014 03:39 PM

What incredible info, as usual!! Thanks!

My current plan was to stay near Roma Termini Thursday night and train to Salerno, ferry to Amalfi next day (Friday).

However...Earliest train gets us to Salerno at noon, then the ferry (if running)to Amalfi and we arrive somewhere around 1:30pm or 2pm? (that's a wasted morning)

That's why I was even looking at getting to Salerno the same night we arrive.

We arrive on Thursday at 6:15pm and depart Rome Tuesday noon time.

I was trying to efficiently use time to "get some exposure to Amalfi coast" and possibly train back to Rome Sunday night to have one full day in Rome (Monday).

I know this is somewhat aggressive but the remaining portion of the vacation is chill-laxing...

My wife and I have both been to Rome before (not with each other) neither been to AC. I was in Rome back in the 80s!

Getting to Salerno Thurs night sounds like a gamble based on how quickly we get our bags. We are flying first class, hopefully those bags get "priority service." (That is not always a given).

I have a reservation at a hotel near Termini. To keep it or not is the question.

Thanks!

Rubicund Mar 18th, 2014 01:03 AM

The other alternative is to hire a car at FCO, leaving at around 7:30pm. You should be in Amalfi by 11:30pm.

You don't say when this trip is and as long as it's outside peak season, the car will be useful along the AC.

bilboburgler Mar 18th, 2014 01:41 AM

Do you just have carry-on because Rome airport likes to take my luggage to a distant place for a cuddle and deliver it much later than expected.

Rubicund Mar 18th, 2014 01:43 AM

Forgive me for wondering about the blindingly obvious: can't you fly into Naples instead of Rome? That would put you 90 minutes away from Amalfi.

Ackislander Mar 18th, 2014 02:35 AM

What bilboburgler said. From landing to crossing over the bridge to the railway station at FCO has usually taken me 45 minutes.

I like Rubicund's suggestion a lot, even if I had to pay to change my airline ticket. What does the train and an extra night in a hotel add up to?

Masterphil Mar 18th, 2014 11:24 AM

The flight to Naples gets us into Naples at 10:30pm with a 4 hour wait at Frankfurt.

I'm thinking of just waiting for our bags and seeing what time we get to Roma Termini.

If we can jump on the train to Salerno, great!

If not, we stay in Rome for the night.

Masterphil Mar 22nd, 2014 08:04 AM

i just noticed there is a 9:45pm train to Naples if we miss the train to Salerno.

One question...what is it like arriving at Napoli Centrale at 11pm?

annhig Mar 22nd, 2014 08:34 AM

One question...what is it like arriving at Napoli Centrale at 11pm?>>

no idea, but personally I'd rather be there at 11am.

i like my plan best - stay the night in Rome, have a nice supper, no stress.

Then get the train in the morning.

that way, you can book a train and get the best price for the tickets too.

Masterphil Mar 22nd, 2014 09:27 AM

thanks Ann...staying in Rome gets us in too late to enjoy Rome and the next morning train won't get me to Amalfi until the afternoon.

That's the thought behind trying to get closer to AC.

11pm in any train station with luggage probably not the best idea! :)

kybourbon Mar 22nd, 2014 09:47 AM

Pay attention to your belongings and don't get close to people in the station. As you get off the train, there are helpers. Do not let them help you as they are not official. Here's a station map.

http://www.napolicentrale.it/en/map/

FWIW - There is the night train from Rome Tiburtina (departs 23:17) that stops in Salerno, but you would arrive Salerno a little after 2 am.

>>However...Earliest train gets us to Salerno at noon,<<<

No, there is a train from Rome Tiburtina to Salerno that gets there at 10:30. As the train above, it's night train (night trains pass through Tiburtina). Ticket is 22€. While it stops in Napoli, it doesn't require a change.

Train: 1911 - Roma Tiburtina (07:25) - Salerno (10:32 )

There is also the Italo train that departs Rome Tiburtina at 8:53am and gets to Salerno at 10:54.

Masterphil Mar 22nd, 2014 10:11 AM

thanks for the great info kybourbon!

Masterphil Mar 22nd, 2014 10:53 AM

I dont see early am train Rome to Salerno on trenitalia.com

Masterphil Mar 22nd, 2014 11:26 AM

Sorry! Realize now that Italo train is different than trenitalia.

kybourbon Mar 22nd, 2014 12:34 PM

>>>I dont see early am train Rome to Salerno on trenitalia.com<<<

You need to enter Roma Tiburtina as your departure on Trenitalia, not Roma Termini. The night train and early train are Trenitalia (both departing from Tiburtina). The Italo train (different rail company from Trenitalia) also departs Termini.

FYI - From FCO to Rome Tiburtina, you take the local train which is called FL1/FR1/FM1 (depending on site). It departs every 15 minutes and travel time to Tiburtina is about 45 minutes - 8€ (validate your ticket before boarding). It does not stop at Termini (the Leonardo Express goes to Termini, departs every 30 minutes/travel time 30 minutes and doesn't make any other stops). YOu can see the this train on the system map (green line next to the Leonardo blue line).

http://atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

Tiburtina is a major station in Rome and a very large bus hub (Rome city buses and buses to the rest of Italy). It's also on the metro line.

Italo's website:

http://www.italotreno.it/en/Pages/default.aspx