Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favourite sights in Kent? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favourite-sights-in-kent-231699/)

James Jun 17th, 2002 03:48 AM

Favourite sights in Kent?

Hello Fodorities,<BR>Looking for some info. on travelling in<BR>Kent. Beautiful attractions, B&B's,<BR>small hotels and restaurants. We are<BR>renting a car for 4 days in July.<BR>We've never travelled in this part of<BR>Britain before.<BR>Thanks,<BR>James

Dominic Jun 17th, 2002 03:59 AM

I can only reply with a previous response. Suggest you also search on Kent and also Canterbury because there really is lots of great information on here. But anyway:-<BR>"Kent:- Canterbury for a morning followed by Dover castle in the afternoon. Try and get to Rye and Battle over the border in East Sussex, both fantastic places but also try and spend an hour or two in Tenterden (not far from Sissinghurst) to experience the finest Georgian vernacular achitecture as opposed to the Georgian classicism of stately Bath and elsewhere. Its a perfect little town with a wide high street, great little shops and few tourists. Leeds castle is a wonder but again to beat the tourists consider Scotney as an alternative or Hever. Rochester Castle could be combined with a very interesting trip to the Naval Dockyards at Chatham (now a collection of Naval Museums) which have won numerous awards. Rochester is also piled high with Dickens connections and for holiday reading you could do worse than David Copperfield or Great Expectations by Kent's finest novelist. More out of the way gems: Eynsford village and Lullingstone Roman Villa (some of the finest mosaic floors in Europe), Whitstable (nr Canterbury) for Oysters and restaurants, and Fossil hunting (yes really! with a good chance of a decent find) on the Isle of Sheppey (suggest you buy a cheap hammer in the UK as I'm not sure how it'd go down on board a plane these days). Some of this stuff wont be in the guidebooks but the Kent Tourist Board should be able to help you and I'm sure they'll be on the net. Oh yeah and do try and watch a cricket match whilst your here... if not the county team at Canterbury then a sunday afternoon village game... someone will just love trying to explain the rules to you and it'll be a truly english experience - the epitome of this beautiful corner and Garden of England. Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!"<BR><BR>Dominic

James Jun 17th, 2002 06:02 AM

Dominic,<BR>Great Post!<BR>Thanks for all that information!<BR>James

janis Jun 17th, 2002 07:21 AM

Dominic give you some great suggestions<BR><BR>Some of the obvious "musts" include:<BR>Sissinghurst<BR>Scotney (Will blow your socks off)<BR>Bodiam Castle<BR>Hever/Chartwell/Penshurst Place (these 3 are very near each other so can be done as an easy loop)<BR>Dover/Deal/Walmer (Again all 3 are near each other)<BR>Igtham Mote<BR>Knole<BR>Canterbury<BR><BR>Of course you won't have time to see all of these but all are worth your time. I answered your other thread about the GB heritage Pass, etc. All of these are covered by the Pass.<BR>

oliver Aug 28th, 2002 11:05 PM

I am a little late for your trip, but others might like my recommendation. When visiting Sissinghurst stay with david and Joe at Church Gates in the middle of Cranbrook, just three miles from Sissinghurst. They are landscape architects and can give great advice and they have a terrific gardening library spread about the house. The house is a listed building overlooking the churchyard, and it has got lovely oak floors, pannelled romms , huge inglenook fireplaces (I imagine it is very cosy with roaring log fires in the winter, but the beds are modern and comfortable and we had a superb ensuite with a huge roll top bath/shower. Highly recommended!