Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favourite Castles in Scotland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favourite-castles-in-scotland-633590/)

pittpurple Jul 24th, 2006 12:30 PM

Favourite Castles in Scotland?

My husband and I will be living in Edinburgh for the next three years and have started our mission of castle-sightseeing. We've gone to several already, but just went to Dunvegan which was a major disappointment. So I figured I'd ask here and see if there was a favourite we had missed.

We've been to Edinburgh and Stirling already, as well as several lesser known castles on our way to Skye a few months ago.

Thanks a lot!

FlyFish Jul 24th, 2006 12:36 PM

I agree about Dunvegan - one of the least picturesque castles I've visited, though I did enjoy the boat trip out to see the seals. I'd seen plenty of seals previously, but we did get pretty close to a puffin, which was a first for me.

But back to castles - if you like castle ruins, I think Lithlingow - just a bit west of Edinburgh, is about the best. Urquhart is good as well, of course, but all the Nessie nonsense gives the area a bit of a Disneyesque feel.

Underhill Jul 24th, 2006 02:08 PM

We really liked the ruins of Castle Campbellm, scene of one chapter in a favorite novel of mine.

Also, Traquair House, while not a castle, is the oldest inhabited house in Scotland--it's a very large manor house still inhabited by the Maxwell-Stuarts and very interesting. There are relics of Mary Queen of Scots on display, including her crucifix.
On the premises is a working brewery that turns out excellent beer.

Also interesting is Abbotsford, home of Sir Walter Scott; we were morbidly fascinated by a painting of Mary's severed head on a platter.

janisj Jul 24th, 2006 02:32 PM

You will run out of town looooong before you run ot of castles; My "short" list of musts (besides Stirling/Edinburgh include:

Culzean
Dunnottar
Crathes
Craigievar
Huntly
Ft George (not a castle but along the same lines)
Doune
Kilchurn
Castle Campbell
Glamis
Edzell
Linlithgow
Traquair House
Falkland
Blair
Scone
Brodick
Fyvie
Fraser
Loch Leven
Dirleton
Tantallon
Floors
There are lots of others - some of these are ruins, some still family homes, some are mainly because of their gardens/grounds, some are for historical significance, and some just have amazing settings.

janisj Jul 24th, 2006 02:34 PM

sheesh - that should say &quot;You will run out of <b>time</b> looooong before you run ot of castles.&quot;

RosemaryM Jul 24th, 2006 04:14 PM

Hi,
It's hard to top Janis's list but if you have time and/or energy to go way up north, I loved Dunrobin at Golspie and the late Queen Mother's Castle of Mey. Dunrobin is the seat of the Countess of Sutherland and is a home as well as a dramatically placed castle and the Castle of Mey is really homey.
If you decide on Castle Urquhart, go by boat, the Jacobite Queen sails from Inverness to Urquhart and gets a great first sight of the castle and, while in Inverness Cawdor is worth seeing.
Have fun collecting castles
Rosemary

desertduds Jul 24th, 2006 04:17 PM

I loved Cawdor Castle, smaller family owned and during tourist season the family moves down the road, really very nice!

FauxSteMarie Jul 24th, 2006 04:38 PM

Crathes has a wonderful painted ceiling the like of which I have seen nowhere else.

Traquair has a priest's hole.

Blair has a lot of Bonnie Prince Charlie items.

Those are just two that came to mind. You can't go wrong with any on the long list put up by the previous poster. I have been to some of them in addition to the ones listed above, but not all of them.

byronelaine Jul 24th, 2006 06:45 PM

Another vote for Blair castle. Then go to the nearby town of Pitlochery and take the free tour at the Edradour Distillery. Scotland's smallest. Free samples. Friendly folk.

AKNIC Jul 24th, 2006 07:14 PM

Pittpurple:
A friend recommended that we not miss Glamis Castle while in Scotland. We were there this past June and thought the castle and grounds were beautiful.
Suggest you add this to your list of must see castles in Scotland.
AKNIC

Pumbavu Jul 24th, 2006 09:37 PM

Northumberland.. just south of Edinburgh.. has more castles per square mile than anywhere else in the UK. Some highlights are... the imposing Bamburgh Castle, and the ruins of Dunstanborough Castle (a nice walk from Craster)

sheila Jul 24th, 2006 10:50 PM

I'm sorry you didn't like Dunvegan. The building's not that great, but teh history is stunning. And the Fairy Flag!!

My favourites-

Huntingtower for the romance and history

Elcho for the location

sheila Jul 24th, 2006 10:54 PM

Damn! slip of the finger there.....

Traquair, for the romance

Tantallon for the fury; Dunnottar likewise.

Craigievar because it's so pretty.

Huntly and Kildrummy for the majesty.

Lochindorb for bleakness

Falkland Palace for the Stuarts

Dunyveg because it's on Islay

Kismul for the romance.

hanl Jul 24th, 2006 11:12 PM

Tantallon is great. Incredible location perched on a cliff with the waves crashing below. And an easy trip from Edinburgh.

pittpurple Jul 25th, 2006 12:43 AM

Wow - thanks!
My husband looked at this message and corrected me - it was Dumbarton Castle we just went to that was a disapointment. Sheila - you were correct, Dunvegan wasn't that impressive, but the inside was really interesting. My mistake!

Thanks so much everyone!

doonhamer Jul 25th, 2006 03:12 AM

Some from the SW:
Caerlaverock - only one of its type left, I believe
Threave, and its gardens
Drumlanrig - not really a castle, but home to the Duke of Buccleuch

parisonmymind2 Jul 25th, 2006 03:29 AM

My favorites were Culzean, Inverrary and Glamis. We lived in Scotland for three years and ran out of time, not castles.

amelie Jul 25th, 2006 03:39 AM

Glamis, definitely.

I also like the ruins of Slains, and Donnottar (I think I spelled that one wrong, it's in Stonehaven).

Nelson Jul 25th, 2006 07:14 AM

I was just a 3-week tourist, so take this for what it's worth, but another vote for Dunnottar.

Also, if (when) you go to Cawdor Castle be sure to buy the official castle brochure, possibly the best written one around, full of fascinating facts and wry humor. I did not follow my own advice and am now having them ship one to me.

caroline_edinburgh Jul 26th, 2006 04:18 AM

Welcome to Edinburgh ! (Where from ?)

If you're interested in staying in a castle which has been turned into a hotel, the following are all near Edinburgh :-

Dalhouse (where I got married !)
Borthwick
Airth (but make sure you get a castle room, not one in the modern annexe)

Dirleton &amp; Tantallon are both good to visit and near Edinburgh.

Craigmillar isn't one of the best but it's OK and actually in Edinburgh ! And sometimes has open air performances, e.g. of Shakespeare, though none as part of the Fringe this year I think.

Being pedantic, Linlithgow is a palace not a castle. Nice place for a day out in good weather, though - take a picnic to eat by the lake.

Traquair House, as mentioned by Underhill, has a fair on some time in August. They do B&amp;B too, and sometimes open air Shakespeare in the grounds.

Again not actually a castle, but have you been to Inchcolm Abbey, on Inchcolm Island out in the Firth of Forth ? You get the boat from South Queensferry.