Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite wine bar in the Marais or St. Germaine?

Apr 4th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Tom

We're trying to decide on whether to stay in St. Germaine or the Marais when in Paris this fall. Interested in great casual cafes, wine bars and bakeries. Any advice? Thanks

Apr 4th, 2002, 07:03 PM
katesfavorites

wine bars:
Willys Wine Bar
Au Savignon
Henri 4th-place du Pont Neuf
Cafes:
Cafe Beaubourg -Marais
Cafe Marly-Louvre
Cafe des Feuillants

Apr 5th, 2002, 12:21 AM
francesca

My favorite St Germain cafe is Cafe Bonaparte (across from St Germain des Pres church) and favorite wine bar is Le Comptoir du Relais (sorry, can't remember the street off hand--it's around the corner from the Odeon Metro stop). In the Marais, there is the Rouge Gorge on rue St Paul which has Corsican specialies. Have fun.

Apr 5th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Ursula

Tom: One of my fav. bakeries is Gerard Mulot on Rue de Seine (south side of Blvd. St. Germain, I think at the corner of Rue Lobineau!). It's closed on Wednesdays. A must.
Of course, one must also mention Poilane on Rue du Cherche-Midi.
As for the wine bars, there are tons of them. I usually go to the ones in the Montparnasse area rather than in Saint-Germain though.
However, I like "Le Sauvignon" which is on Rue des Saint-Pres, next to Rue de Svres (I think).
Years ago, I used to like "La Palette" on Rue de Seine, but it has become too touristy for my personal taste.
In the Marais, I especially recommend the Jewish bakeries (around Rue des Rosiers). They make very good pastries.
Have fun and enjoy Paris!

Apr 5th, 2002, 02:35 AM
s.fowler

Here's something I posted here earlier -- I can't wait to "make the rounds" in June
---------
Here's what I posted on the thread:

Ahhhh. winebars....... *SIGH*

In the 7eme on Ave. Rapp is Sancerre -- very near the Eiffel Tower. It is a small, family run establishment. The wines are from Sancerre [known mostly for its flinty whites, but also making a nice red that goes well with cheese.] The menu is simple-- salads, omlettes, charcuterie... We drank a red Saumur and had a wonderful omlette that included potatoes. [Actually hubby and I split a frisee salad and the aforementioned omlette.]The decorations are very "rural."

At the other end of the spectrum are the various branches of L'Ecluse. There matters run to Margaux wine and carpaccio etc.. We first ate/drank at the branch near Champs Elysee, but now like the one on Quai Grands Augustins. It was the first and is a little less overwhelmingly posh. It is very near Notre Dame on the left bank.

The third I'll recommend is Au Sauvignon. It is on Rue St. Pere in the 6eme. They specialize in Beaujolais I think, but you can get other wines. You can only get various breads and cheese, but a little bread, a little goat cheese and a red Sanceere sitting outside on a sunny summer day? What's not to enjoy? It is a very small place and "madame" is very "comme il faut" -- just don't let her faze you.

Fourth: La Bistrot Nouvelle Marie -- again small, just behind the Pantheon [on Pl. Estrapade I think - I'll find addresses for all these in a bit] -- We had a bottle of Chinon [red] and a cheese plate with Polaine bread. It was not chichi -- and the guy at the bar was very cute about my terrible French and generally we felt at home. Again best in the summer when things spill out onto the sidewalk.

There are many other fine wine bars in Paris, both simple and chic -- this is just my idiosyncratic list.

Apr 5th, 2002, 07:39 AM
topper

sooo cool